PDA

View Full Version : I can not decide!

honda8&3
12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Well after I graduate I want to build my race quad. I'm not planning on racing full time, but I wanna do like half of a season. In new england we have a harescramble series that I'm gonna race when I get a 250f to try it out. I wanna race quads in it after HS. I want to build a full blown race bike. But I also wanna be able to trail ride this thing too. I am not exactly a casual rider and I put my 250x to its limits a lot. So here are my choices.

Choice #1- XC 450R
Suspension- Houser Max GC Sli-Cast a-arms, PEP Adjustable rebound and compression piggybacks, Houser swingarm, PEP dual rate shock, RPM Dominator axle etc...
Engine- Full Rossier Port and polished head, Rossier shorty exhaust, HotCam stage 2, 12:1 comp. piston, Full Hinson clutch, HotRods crank etc...
Wheels/Tires- HIPER Dual beadlock rear single fronts, with Maxxis Razr2's.
Full PRM skids, bumper etc...
IMS heel guards nerfs pegs

Choice #2- xc 400ex
Suspension- Houser +1 a-arms, PEP Adjustable rebound and compression piggybacks, Houser swingarm, PEP dual rate shock, RPM Dominator axle etc...
Engine- full 416 kit, port and polished head, HotCam stage 2 Hinson clutch basket springs etc, HotRods crank, HMF slip on, FMF PowerBomb header etc...
Wheels/Tires- HIPER Dual beadlock rear single fronts, with Maxxis Razr2's.
Full PRM skids, bumper etc...
IMS heel guards nerfs pegs

I love both quads but I can't really decide! I've never gotten to ride an R, but I've ridden a pretty much stock ex, and it was nice, but I still can't decide. Money is no option! ;)

12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
sounds good, you might want to get some itp holeshot gncc's. They are better than maxxis.

honda8&3
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by coreymx58
sounds good, you might want to get some itp holeshot gncc's. They are better than maxxis.

That's not my question. And I love Maxxis! ITP's are nice but wear out way too fast!;)

limetimeracerII
12-11-2007, 04:41 PM
I think if you're going to do more racing than trail riding you should probably go with the 450r. They are both reliable machines, and even though the 450 might not be considered a trail bike and 400ex is not cosidered a race bike, I think they both preform well as either. The 450 engine will yield more power with less work, also will rev faster and higher. Both chassis' do very well with aftermarket upgrades and preform similarly. But for racing I say go with the R its just more race oriented.

blinkjs
12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
not trying to turn this thread into a tire debate, but a ran a whole season on ITP GNCC's and they did not wear out too quick. Several people I race with had worse luck with Razor 1 and 2's as far as tread life goes. BTW zero flats all season.

honda8&3
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by blinkjs
not trying to turn this thread into a tire debate, but a ran a whole season on ITP GNCC's and they did not wear out too quick. Several people I race with had worse luck with Razor 1 and 2's as far as tread life goes. BTW zero flats all season.

Well from what I've seen with other holeshots, they wear really fast. Maybe the GNCC's are better but thats just what I've seen. I love Maxxis and my razr2's so that's prolly what I'll run. JMO.:)

Pipeless416
12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
honestly, if you still plan to trail ride i would stick with the 416. they have very usable power, and like you already know, power isnt everything in the woods. with a 450r, id think you would have a heck of a time at slower speeds. also, on the ex, i think you could go with +2s and still be able to run xc, as long as you have some 4:1 rims on it. im running +2s and unfortunately i still have the stocker front rims, but it is still very comfortable on trails around here.

honda8&3
12-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Ya pipeless I think I might just stick with the 400ex because I love to trail ride too and won't be racing full time! I am still considering a 450 but a little bit more stock motor LOL... Besides like a high comp. piston, Hot Cam, etc... Still looking for opinions LOL...

Ghost-Rider
12-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I'd take the 400EX for it's reliability.

pro-rider46
12-11-2007, 08:16 PM
im all for 450rs...

braybray08
12-11-2007, 08:22 PM
(Cough) (cough) yamaha..... :D haha jk if money is no option heck go with the better all around quad in my opinion 450r. but you might wanna ride one before

Flyin-Low
12-11-2007, 09:17 PM
450 all the way..

Let's put it this way. 3/4 of the time I trail ride and I owned both a pretty much stock 450r and a pretty much stock 400ex for about half a year. I rode the 400ex everyday for two years before I got the 450 and after I got it I NEVER wanted to ride the EX.

For slower riders, 400ex's are great.. But for REALLY aggressive riders the 450s will suite them better.

-Martin

firefighterjosh
12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Buy my 400ex and be done with it:D 3k and its yours

pics: www.zabeard.com/josh

mineralgrey01gt
12-12-2007, 01:54 AM
why buy a bike that you will grow out of the power with? 450r is my choice

trick450r
12-12-2007, 07:50 AM
no questions asked...450r