PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding front brakes

ohsobad_chevy
12-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I installed a new set of streamline stainless steel brake lines (3 line w/ t block) I have gravity bled at least 5 times and I still can't build up pressure in my front brakes. I have never installed after market brake lines b4 and could use some help. Thanks in advance.

nick249420
12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
are your lines tite
do you have brake fluid lol
is your resivor cap on all the way
do have the rubber boot under the cap in right
did you bleed them both
what i usually do is pump the brake 10 times then hold it and turn the bleed nut then close it. then repeat 4 times on each side
i havent done after market lines but i took mine off too put new stock ones on and i wasnt carefull with them and they got a pin hole in them causing them to not have pressure

12-11-2007, 03:28 PM
i was having the same trouble when a former car mechanic that i work with told me to do something i would never have thought of...open the valve and give the lever a few pumps, not letting the fluid get so low that air gets into the lines at the top.

i know that is a "no no" and therefore, i was skeptical, but after a few times, it worked better than anything i had tried up to that point...they were bled within 10 minutes...

TRX450RACER174
12-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I use a vaccum bleeder 3min tops to bleed, but if you don't have one another thing you can do is put i line on your bleeder into a bottle with some fluid in it and pump it that way you don't have to keep opening and closeing the bleeder.

ohsobad_chevy
12-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I cant even get pressure, I know how to bleed them once I get pressure. When gravity bleeding them, there is fluid running out, so I know the lines are full, but when I pump the brake, there is no pressure???

:confused:

nick249420
12-11-2007, 04:01 PM
mabey the lines are jank ..doubt it but you never know
only time i have problems with pressure is air in the lines
mabey try putting your stock lines back on see what you get

12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
I cant even get pressure, I know how to bleed them once I get pressure. When gravity bleeding them, there is fluid running out, so I know the lines are full, but when I pump the brake, there is no pressure???

:confused:

i had that prob with my rear brake...i had a bad master cylinder...it was bad from day one, but it wasn't really that noticable until i got back on my 440ex...the rear brakes were stronger on the ex! i put on a braided brake line thinking it was that...and an excuse to get a braided lines...it was really bad after that, i finally bought a new master cylinder and it bled real easily...

but like i stated before, i had a hard time getting the right brake action, even though i had fluid coming out...then i did what i previously suggested adn it worked like a charm

ohsobad_chevy
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
OK, finally got it to build up some pressure. I started with the right (if your standing in front of the quad) the one furthest from the master cylinder. I pumped them up real good and held the brake lever in, cracked the bleeder and no air bubbles....did that twice and moved to the left one.....same thing, no air bubbles? Does that mean I'm good or should I keep going?

nick249420
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
to be safe i would do it one more time

BTW
how much did thoes lines run you?

ohsobad_chevy
12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
$93 shipped to my door for the front kit. I think the rear is around $35. ;)

nick249420
12-11-2007, 05:31 PM
thats pretty costly
what are the perks of having them other then they look better lol

12-11-2007, 05:36 PM
i got my steel braided for $30 shipped to my front door and I love them!

ohsobad_chevy
12-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by nick249420
thats pretty costly
what are the perks of having them other then they look better lol

Less expansion when you brake, they offer a little better braking over stock, and I needed a taller line that went to the MC for a longer steering stem, so I thought wth. :devil:

Aceman
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Another trick if you can't get any lever when you're bleeding is to crack the banjo at the master. Just like regular bleeding, pull the lever and crack the banjo. Do that a couple times, then move on to the bleeder screws at the caliper. Using that trick combined with Russell speed bleeders on my R, I have more lever than a new quad. I probably only pull my lever back less than 1" at the tip with the brakes fully applied.

400exMO
12-12-2007, 06:48 PM
This sounds gross but it's what I had to do to get pressure built up. I put a line on the end of the bleeder valve and sucked with my mouth until brake fluid came out. it worked perfect and doesn't take long. works like a vacuum bleeder. Make sure u have something to rinse ur mouth out if you get any in there.

ohsobad_chevy
12-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
This sounds gross but it's what I had to do to get pressure built up. I put a line on the end of the bleeder valve and sucked with my mouth until brake fluid came out. it worked perfect and doesn't take long. works like a vacuum bleeder. Make sure u have something to rinse ur mouth out if you get any in there.

I got pressure built up but I wasn't that desperate. :p Brake fluid taste horrible, I'm sure. We got ice on the ground, so I am in no hurry to get my quad back together. Thanks for everyones help, I got em' pressured up and bled. :cool:

swigs84
12-12-2007, 07:47 PM

this isnt real smart. brake fluid will eat away paint, imagine what it will do to the inside of your mouth

Drewltr450
12-12-2007, 09:21 PM
yea brake fluid really bad for you when i got it on my skin it turned pale white and started to like crack. i learned my lesson lol. its really toxic, definetly wouldnt want to get it on your teeth

cbr929rr
12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
I have been on a mission trying to get awesome brakes on my 400ex. I have braided lines, wave rotors, streamline pads, and an RTC adjustable brake lever and they will quickly lock up on dirt but trying endo in the parking lots gets me nowhere. I realize my honda cbr 929rr is meant for asphalt and doing endos are too easy. This will not help to slow you down on an atv when your offroad if your brakes will lock up like a streetbike you will simply slide into trees, they are different animals.

12-13-2007, 07:10 PM

yeah brake fluid will eat away your skin and kill you if swallowed. When I did my brake i had fluid on my hands and it burned after a bit