PDA

View Full Version : is there a way?

thumpinex
12-11-2007, 02:25 PM
ok right now i have a 03 400ex just rebuilt it w/ a high comp piston hd cam chain and a stage 2 hotcam and hmf slipon. its all set up for the woods atm but my friend races flattrack and rides a 440 ltz. he keeps asking my to race with him but he says that the other ppl have the 450s and he has to work his rump off to keep up.he dosent come in last all the time but i was wondering if it was worth getting a 450 and dumping the 400 for that even tho i ride trails all the time and the 400s great for it. also how much work is it to switch it back and forth from track to trail.....i wanted to race gncc type but theres nothing nere where i live lol....any thoughts welcomed thanx:D

bloodmoney23
12-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Your best bet is to go 450R. I can still trail ride mine and still do. I would just get 2 different sets of tires so you dont eat your racing tires up on the trails. Make sure you maintain it well also. If you can keep the 400ex for trails and the 450r for racing. Im gonna try to get a decent junker for trails just so i dont have to maintain the race bike like crazy.

thumpinex
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
sweet thx

Flynbryan19
12-12-2007, 01:51 PM
depends. If you have your 400 setup how you like it for the woods and will only ride FT occasionally, then no. Its not worth it. If you just really want a 450 or are serious about spending more time on the track, then yes..... If you want to be competative you'll need a 450.

duke416ex
12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
If you want to be competitive on flat track you will need a 450, and will probably need a little motor work to go along with it. There is a big difference in flat track and GNCC setup. You can still be competitive in xc races on a 400, maybe not at all the GNCC races, but you can be in many local series. I would say you just need to think about how serious you are going to be in racing.

thumpinex
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
i have never raced before but id really like to try some kinda woods racing. but my friend really wants me to do the flat track w/ him and its something about lowering it and riding it ........just feel really weird

bloodmoney23
12-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by thumpinex
i have never raced before but id really like to try some kinda woods racing. but my friend really wants me to do the flat track w/ him and its something about lowering it and riding it ........just feel really weird

IMO, flat track racing almost defeats the purpose of a quad. Quads are meant to be airborne. If you wanna flat track race buy a race car....If YOU want to do some woods racing and MX then do it and get the bike YOU want, not a bike other people suggest. If you feel comfortable and aggresive on the 400ex then ride with it. Same with a 450r. Do what you feel you can handle comfortably. Dont go race flat track just cause HE wants ya too. ATVs are there for you to do what YOU want and piss others off doing it. Just once again IMO.

motoboy66
12-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I raced XC for 2 years on a 400. I was competative and beat many 450s. for XC its mostly bike setup and rider. There are times where I wouls get passed by 450 in open sections I just could not keep up. I moved too a 450 this year just too have new equipment. The 450 is a good trail bike but I do miss the estart of the 400. My buddy races flat trake on a 400 and does ok you can tell he is out powered but rides better. A built 400 will still be slower then a mostly stock 450. You can only build a motor so much.