PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Linkage Bearings

national425ex
12-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Is any certain tool needed to do this? Anyone have any pointers? Or is it pretty simple and straight forward. My link is a GT Thunder XC Link. Thanks

smithn1683
12-11-2007, 08:39 AM
You want it to be able to tap it out on the outside edge of the bearing with out coming in contact with the link. If you had a press that would be best.

bloodmoney23
12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
if you dont have a press, use a socket that matches the bearing size. tap out the old one and when putting in the new one. If you have a vice or c-clamp. as long as you can go in as straight as possible use either the vice or c-clamp to press it in. once bearing is level with linkage open vice/c-clamp and use the same socket as before and press bearing in rest of the way. It works the same as a press but you have to make sure u are going in straight and that you dont damage linkage while doing it.

12-11-2007, 12:10 PM
If you put the bearings in the freezer for a couple of hours first the will contract. This will make them easier to install. Also use some WD40 when pressing them in.

hendershot106
12-11-2007, 12:58 PM
u dont need a press,,, all u need is a hammer,,, a 17 mm deepwell socket and two blocks of wood--- pop out the seals-- place the deepwell socket against the bearing while having the blocks on either side of the hole to support the linkage on a level surface-- it works like a charm-- i just done mine last thursday-- and i actually had two of the three sleeves busted-- be careful with the pivot works kits though-- the one i was shipped only had two smaller bearings with one for the dogbone-- i had to get the third bearing from the honda shop---- ohh and to put the bearings in use the same method--- just tap with the socket on the bearing # side until centered in the linkage.

bloodmoney23
12-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
u dont need a press,,, all u need is a hammer,,, a 17 mm deepwell socket and two blocks of wood--- pop out the seals-- place the deepwell socket against the bearing while having the blocks on either side of the hole to support the linkage on a level surface-- it works like a charm-- i just done mine last thursday-- and i actually had two of the three sleeves busted-- be careful with the pivot works kits though-- the one i was shipped only had two smaller bearings with one for the dogbone-- i had to get the third bearing from the honda shop---- ohh and to put the bearings in use the same method--- just tap with the socket on the bearing # side until centered in the linkage.

The reason you had to buy the third (i just found this out as well when doing my buddies dirtbike linkage) is because it is actually called the "lower shock bearing". i think thats bull**** but hey whatever gets THEM more money and cause us to wait longer for parts.....right?!? Oh yeah and thanks for bringing up the freezer thing i forgot to mention that. Or you can jsut throw them in the annoying snow for a little.

hendershot106
12-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
The reason you had to buy the third (i just found this out as well when doing my buddies dirtbike linkage) is because it is actually called the "lower shock bearing". i think thats bull**** but hey whatever gets THEM more money and cause us to wait longer for parts.....right?!? Oh yeah and thanks for bringing up the freezer thing i forgot to mention that. Or you can jsut throw them in the annoying snow for a little.

so the sob's from pivot works want u to buy both kits for the shock and the linkage to get em all huh?? that would explain why every pivot works kit is short the center bearing-- that had already persuaded me to order honda parts for the swingarm bearings-- next time i will just order the 60 $ kit from gt thunder to fix it