PDA

View Full Version : Cam plug/cap leaking

MY FYN 79
12-11-2007, 07:17 AM
I just noticed the black cam plug/cap on my 300ex cylinder/head is puking oil pretty bad out the bottom. I'm gonna guess the cylinder head needs to come off to fix this, correct?

the Z Man
12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Na, just pull the valve cover, clean it up and put some silicone on er and put ti back together

MY FYN 79
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Hmm,

Just so were on the same page, you are referring to the black cam plug on the side of the cylinder, correct?

JIMFROMTEXCO
12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
yes you have to pull the rocker cover off and use some permetex to form a gasket. it is the only way that i know to get that to seal again, unless there is a hole worn in the cap it self.

ridered92
12-12-2007, 09:44 AM
yeah it happen to mine too thanl for making this thread now i know how to fix it

bwamos
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Just as a note.. when you put the high temp gasket material on the valve cover, remember you'll need to put some all the way around that plug too.

Probably how it leaked to begin with. Happens a lot.

Take the rocker cover off, reapply the gasket, and pop in the plug, then on w/ the cover. Because the gasket material is only on the rocker cover theres now no gasket material on the underside of the plug. aka leak. ;)

I just use the orange high temp silicone from the automotive store.

ridered92
12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
will rtv work

bwamos
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Yes, the orange stuff. Works fine.

Just make sure it is the High Temp orange stuff and not the low temp blue.

theupsmanhatesm
12-24-2007, 10:21 PM
I had this exact same problem. It's really a simple fix. Like they've been saying take off the valve cover, remove the plug, and use high temp RTV or silicone all the way around the cap. Be sure to get it all the way around. Also, try putting some not just on the groove along the inside, but on the back edge of the side that faces outward. (if you have it in your hand you'll know what i mean.) That kept mine from leaking again. Just be careful with the sealant not to put too much either, because it can get into your valves and cause them to stick closed or open.

(it happened to a buddy of mine's yfz, and it wasn't pretty.)

Also, keep in mind that the headbolts on the 300's are very weak for some reason. They snap very easily with just slightly too much pressure. Just a little peice of info i've picked up along the way.)

Hope i helped.

MY FYN 79
12-24-2007, 11:29 PM
OK guys, thanks.

I'm a car guy, so stick with me. When I think valve/rocker cover, I think of what covers the valves/rockers... so I was thinking the two little covers for adjusting the valves. I couldnt figure out how the heck that would help. The whole top cover needs to come off though, I get it now. :D