PDA

View Full Version : tire pressure

superstar
12-10-2007, 09:26 PM
When racing Flat Track is it better to have low tire pressure (5-8 psi) or higher (10 +)?

Also what about shock settings? Should I have them stiff or soft?

Thanks,
Greg

f4istunna
12-18-2007, 09:43 AM
ive never done flat track. But from what i gather you want your bike low, and id say run a little higher than normal tire pressure to help slide.

chad6713
12-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I used to run all the nationals back in the late 90's so it's been a while, but here is what we used to do and were pretty successful. We ran 5-6lbs and usually had our shocks pretty soft. You need them soft so you get proper weight transfer, if not you will have trouble getting traction, especially if it's really slippery. If you get a good blue groove worn in at the track you could stiffen them up a little to lessen the body roll. We always set our sway bars up neutral, but we were turning left and right. If you are just doing circle racing you can jack the weight with the bar if you like. This will help you turn better to the left, but can create problems if you need to go to the right really fast. There is quite a bit to it once you get into tire compound, sway bar flex rates, shock settings, and swingarm lengths. I hope this helped you without being too confusing........:confused: