PDA

View Full Version : Dual Dirtbike Carriers

Old Dirtbiker
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Okay riders, I need your input.
I ride a quad but my boys both have dirtbikes.
I am needing input on the dual dirtbike carriers that slip into the hitch tube on my pickup.
I have seen a couple of different models on e-bay for a couple of bills + shipping but don't know if these would be heavy enough to safely carry the weight of two dirtbikes.
If someone can share their thoughts, concerns, experiances with these types, I would greatly appricate it.

A trailer is not an option but nice thought.

Thanks in advance,

quad2xtreme
12-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I used to carrier my 425 lb quad on a hitch receiver type carrier. If properly built, it would not be an issue. For me, the main tube going into the hitch was plenty strong. The two rails weren't strong enough so it started to bend some from the added pressure when going over bumps. I was always going to get mine fixed but then moved to NC. I took it to the dump instead of bringing it along. I sure do miss having it now.

Old Dirtbiker
12-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Thats one of my concerns.
I live and drive Indiana Roads.
Mostly hilly, country roads to where we ride
with lots of chuckholes.
I'd sure hate to drop a bike or worse,
both on the way to where we ride.
Thanks for your input.

quad2xtreme
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I was busy trying to track down the name of the company I got mine from. They were out of Florida. It was a very early design and just not beefy enough.

The VersaHauler looks much better than what I had. I am sure the concept will work...just needs to be designed properly. You are taking the right approach though trying to find someone who has the one you want to buy. I would be weary of anyone who is building these that seems like a backyard welder. Basically, that is what mine ended up being. A few ads in Dirt Wheels and he was in business.

Good Luck!