PDA

View Full Version : to rebuild or not to?

rigger
12-10-2007, 04:39 PM
I already have great 04 400ex that is perfect. Kind of looking for another one for the wife.

I found another 04 400ex that is local, does not have much time on it but it has been ridden and put up wet a lot. It is in pretty rough shape. It has a bent frame, bent rims, bent tie rods, needs tires and all the other normal stuff. This is a really nice guy and he did not even realize what kind of shape his machine was in until I gave him a dose of the truth. He offered to me for 2300 before he found out about how bad it really is. I told him the most I would be willing to give him for it would be 1500 and that was only before I did some digging for parts. I looked on e-bay and came up with about a 1250.00 worth of stuff it needed and that was just what I saw on the surface.

Now here is the question, if I were to get it for say something like a 1000.00 to 1500.00 would it be worth rebuilding or do you think the over all parts bill would make not worth messing with?
Keep in mind that I can do all the work my self.

Just looking for you thoughts.

oleboy87
12-10-2007, 04:53 PM
depends on how bad the frame is bent and how many other parts you are going to need that you dont see yet until you tear into it...

00.400ex#55
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
well i like working on my quads as much as riding them. But in this case it sounds prety rough. id just look for a better one. will be cheaper, plus you can just hop on and go.

rigger
12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
It is hard to say how bad the frame really is with out taking some measurements. But you can see where it is bent. He said when he rides it that he can't even feel anything but I think he may just have a case of the "I just don't know any better." He really is a nice guy and he has to sell it due to a relocation issue. I am thinking about maybe just looking for something a little better for my wife. I don't mind doing the work but this one may just not be worth messing with unless he comes back with a price of a grand or less. My orginal estimate in parts was not including any cosmetics either. I would really like to find her a nicer atv but I was thinking I might could get this one cheap and trick it out for her. Maybe is the key word.

Thanks for your thoughts.

project400ex19
12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I would offer him 1250.00...buy a new frame off of ebay and get it powder coated. for a couple grand you can have a wicked 400ex...when you're done you will probably want to give your wife your's:p

TheNewn
12-11-2007, 03:27 AM
I'd personally pass on this deal. Look for another quad, at least look around a little bit before making a final decision on this beat 400.

rigger
12-11-2007, 04:56 AM
I am still looking for something better for my wife. Or something better for me and she can take over my current 400.

I won't mess with this one unless he gets back with me and is in a "I have to move it now." mode and even with that, unless he came in well under a grand, I think I would tell him no.

Ran across a nice 05 350 Raptor the other day, looks really good, hardly ridden. Guy only wants his pay off on it, 3000.00 I might look at that one for her.

Thanks again for the thoughts guys.

440challenger
12-11-2007, 06:42 AM
well i bought this.

440challenger
12-11-2007, 06:49 AM
spent two weeks on it and used my 06 400 motor i had out of my 400(i did a 450r swap into mine).
I did the frame ,every new bearing in the whole quad even the lower steering stem bearings. Billet dual row carrier,new air box, all new honda palstic,cables, ,chain,sprockets,chain sliders,rollers,pivot bolts,fastners,subframe, you name it i replaced it.
When i was done it came to the tune of $1600 total. thats including the 650 for the quad (or what was left of it after i threw it all out) Here is a pretty close up to date picture. The G/f learned alot helping me build it. She had a warrior previously that we re did and she was just sick of that under powered tank. When i first asked her about taking on the project, she looked at me like i was out of my mind, but now she couldnt be happier.

All in all,if you find the right price, and most of the stuff on the quad you can clean up restore,go for it. most of these 400's i see for 2k-2500 need all the bearings etc re doen on them anyway. yes they might look presentable in pictures, but in the real life,most pit/recreational riders dont take care of there stuff until it brakes, either they dont know its goign bad or they really dont care...