PDA

View Full Version : DRR in the sand?

satdiver
12-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I've been trying to decide between a DRR or a 4 stroke for my 5 yr old son to start racing next season. I know the DRR is the faster of the two on the MX track but we go to the dunes alot also and I'm curious as to how well they work in the sand. I need to get him a quad that works well all around.
Any help on this question would be greatly appreciated!

Todd

riding4fun
12-09-2007, 08:11 PM
If it's a 50 it wont go in the sand. No torque

satdiver
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks, that's what I was worried about. How are the 70's or 90's?

brainwashed
12-09-2007, 09:12 PM
One of the main reasons why I picked the DRR 90 because it's so good in the sand. I was able to talk to two owners at the shop before I decided on the DRR and both raved about the little bike at the dunes and the shop owner had pictures of his son with his DRR at the dunes with paddles throwing roost.

It's a nice wide quad for side hill stability and good suspension, with the best stock power of any kids sport quad. It's probably the best kids dune quad on the market right now.

I'll definitely be taking our to the dunes this winter.

thedeatons
12-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Don't listen to that stuff about the 50. They go just fine in the sand. We have a 70 and it pulls sand stars no problem. I put full size sand stars on it before we bought the mini quad sand stars, and it pulled me around on it no problem. My 5 year old goes nearly everywhere on her 70 with sand stars. You MUST use paddles though, because it just doesn't do it with the dirt tires out there. Have no fear, any of them should be good. I bought the 70 because I didn't want her to outgrow it too fast, and the 90 I thought might be too much in the dirt for her right now. We got the 70 water cooled... The extra width of the new ones makes them perfect in the sand also, and they slide great. My daughter side hills on hers no problem, and goes on rides with the adults. She just can't seem to motor up the drag hill or to the ridge (Sand Mt. Nevada). You should be able to look up my user name and find pics of it. You can also see a few vids on youtube by searching for "thedeatons"... I can tell you which filter to buy for it and give you jetting ideas too. I use a No-Toil 2 stage foam straight off the carb and it let's nothing by, even though it's right behind the left front tire. She has had it one full year and is still on the original rings. Very maintenance free, I simply clean the filter, and use good Red Line two stroke oil in it. Go for it, they love sand!

thedeatons
12-12-2007, 06:43 PM
P.S. You don't need torque, you need revs... Revs turn the paddles and scoop more sand, which is the key to moving in the sand. Proven....

satdiver
12-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info!

brainwashed
12-13-2007, 01:47 AM
I don't why I keep seeing these 'you need torque for sand' posts. It's a little strange.

I've owned four different old school (XR style motors) sport 4 stroke ATV's, ATC200X, ATC 350X ,Warrior 350 and a Z400.

I owned three 2 stroke sport ATV's. ATC 250R, Tecate 3 250 and a TRX 250R.

I've owned one new generation 4 stroke ATV, a YFZ450.

The new generation 4 stroke (very 2 stroke like power) and the 2 stroke ATVs are far better dune machines than the 4 stroke in my opinion. The higher RPM's just move more sand.

The older gen 4 stokes are still a hoot in the dunes, but the high revving bikes just get around faster and have the power and wheel spin to turn around on nearly any climb if desired.

The 4 strokes are better trail bikes as then you actualy do want the low revving, torquey power delivery.

Both motors have thier advantages and both are a lot of fun in the environment they were meant to be ridden.

But ideally you want a revvy motor in the sand and that's generally a 2 stroke or a new high strung gen 4 stroke like the new YFZ's or TRX and LTR 450's.

brainwashed
12-13-2007, 01:55 AM
These are great video's thedeatons. Thanks for sharing.

Here's the link of thedeatons videos.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=thedeatons

riding4fun
12-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Well I will re phrase. I do have a 50 and from "my experience" the 50 got stuck alot in the sand that we rode in. There was just not enough low end power to turn the wheels. . My 90 does great.

brainwashed
12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I understand what your saying now. :)

Sorry, I have been seeing these posts on the ATVriders forums about 'needing torque for the sand' and I just had to speak up.

brainwashed
02-08-2008, 04:44 PM
We are very happy with the bike We haven't taken it to the track yet, but did a 3 day weekend at the dunes. It's a real head turner and got LOTS of attention there. Almost too much attention to be honest as I got tired of asnwering questions of 'What is that? It's fast as heck!' all weekend, and by the time we were heading back home I was getting tired of the questions and telling people where the shop was. :)

We had two problems on our first outing, but we were well taken care of when we went back to the shop. The carb intake manifold boot ripped (I was told this is a known issue with a batch of them that apparently has been addressed) and was replaced free of charge and the pipe screws buzzed out of the cylinder and were replaced. Other than that it was a strong little runner and will pull paddle tires GREAT. I highly recomend it.

My son passed TRX 90's and Raptors at the dunes like they were standing still. No joke. On any sort of hill at all it was no contest. Our son was riding circles around other mines. The DRX was so superior to the other kids bikes that I almost felt bad for the other little kids.

For the dunes, the DRR is well worth the money. Great power, no cooling issues, and other than the small problems we had which I consider normal for a first 'shakedown ride' it exceeded all expecations.

riding4fun
02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Sounds like a good time.

I need paddles for the kids also.

rhinorick
02-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I Ride alot of sand also you are right on with the 2 stroke. BUT torque on a mini will help a kid out that isnt a aggressive rider if the rider taps the gas it will dig in more and get stuck were a slower rev motor will not spin a hole as bad. my kids run 2 strokes and do great they have skat trak paddles. but a slow rider will get stuck less on some thing like a 4 stroke 90. a faster rider, fast rev for sure

Originally posted by brainwashed
I don't why I keep seeing these 'you need torque for sand' posts. It's a little strange.

I've owned four different old school (XR style motors) sport 4 stroke ATV's, ATC200X, ATC 350X ,Warrior 350 and a Z400.

I owned three 2 stroke sport ATV's. ATC 250R, Tecate 3 250 and a TRX 250R.

I've owned one new generation 4 stroke ATV, a YFZ450.

The new generation 4 stroke (very 2 stroke like power) and the 2 stroke ATVs are far better dune machines than the 4 stroke in my opinion. The higher RPM's just move more sand.

The older gen 4 stokes are still a hoot in the dunes, but the high revving bikes just get around faster and have the power and wheel spin to turn around on nearly any climb if desired.

The 4 strokes are better trail bikes as then you actualy do want the low revving, torquey power delivery.

Both motors have thier advantages and both are a lot of fun in the environment they were meant to be ridden.

But ideally you want a revvy motor in the sand and that's generally a 2 stroke or a new high strung gen 4 stroke like the new YFZ's or TRX and LTR 450's.

brainwashed
02-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Good point on the non-aggressive rider! :)