PDA

View Full Version : Serious question. Chicks can help me with this.

416exfreak
12-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Ok, Ive been dating this girl for almost 2 years. I love her and she loves me.

I want to do something special for our 2 year anniversery (christmas eve).

I want to get her a promise ring, but I dont know what her ring size is. Is there a way I could find out without really asking her. I want this to be a complete suprise.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Justin

Robin Hood
12-09-2007, 06:52 PM
I'd say try to go through her friends. Set it up like to have her friend want to look for a ring and she wants a friend (your girl) to go with her. When they go out shopping have them both try rings on and maybe you'll score the ring size, what type of metal, and designs that she might like.

Just an idea though. :blah:

416exfreak
12-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
I'd say try to go through her friends. Set it up like to have her friend want to look for a ring and she wants a friend (your girl) to go with her. When they go out shopping have them both try rings on and maybe you'll score the ring size, what type of metal, and designs that she might like.

Just an idea though. :blah:

I already know which one she wants, she went crazy over this one yesterday when we were at the mall.
http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2917720&cp=&sr=1&fbc=0&origkw=promise+rings&kw=promise+rings&parentPage=search&searchId=20316804273

Robin Hood
12-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
I already know which one she wants, she went crazy over this one yesterday when we were at the mall.
http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2917720&cp=&sr=1&fbc=0&origkw=promise+rings&kw=promise+rings&parentPage=search&searchId=20316804273

Good pick bro. I got my girl 2 promise rings on a necklace for our 1 year. Then for her birthday I blew 300$ on white gold diamond stud earrings... Now I'm broke.

Stupid jewelry. :scary:

Good luck with everything!

Ghost-Rider
12-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Maybe sneak out one of her other rings for reference ?

400exrider707
12-10-2007, 05:46 AM
You're like 16 and you want to buy a promise ring? Are you nuts? Here's a helping hint... dont buy anything that "promises" or otherwise guranatees, secures, pledges, agrees, swears, or even says maybe. It's a waste of money. Even if you stay with the girl forever, promise rings are the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. It's bad enough you already have to buy two rings to get married. Never commit to anything like that. The chances of you two staying together even after high school are slim to none. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.

440challenger
12-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Thats very untrue.... 400ex. i been with my g/f since i was 16 and im 22 now. sometimes you find the right one...

BTW 416 thats the same ring i bought like 4 years ago.LOL

Just snag a ring of hers that she has.

HtFoxChick
12-10-2007, 07:10 AM
To be honest...I don't like the idea of a promise ring. If your set on a ring, why not a nice ruby or other stones. They're nice. I'd stay clear from diamonds..I LOVE EM..but anything can happen and you have plenty of time to buy the big one, when the time comes. Good Luck and just take your time. My .02

Velocity Girl
12-10-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't have much of an opinion on promise rings as I would personally choose a sapphire over almost any other type of ring (even my engagement ring has them in it)

As for size....rings can be resized. Just talk to the sales people to make sure how big of a change can be made (some designs can only be resized so far) and if not, most stores will work with you I'm guessing on if it doesn't fit, we'll resize it, or exchange it for a size that does (this is something they're used to dealing with).

400exrider707
12-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
Thats very untrue.... 400ex. i been with my g/f since i was 16 and im 22 now. sometimes you find the right one...

BTW 416 thats the same ring i bought like 4 years ago.LOL

Just snag a ring of hers that she has.

I have you beat bud. Been with my girl since 15 yrs old and we're 23 now. I still wouldn't buy a promise ring. Its a terrible idea. Where did it get you? Do you really need to buy a ring to show someone that you love them? That's not the kind of girl I even want to be with. Not to take anything away from you and your girl, its not my intentions.

Bradracer18
12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
rings can always be resized too, so keep that in mind.....I'd just find some of her other jewlery, or ask her friends or mom.....I think most women are around a seven ish.....

440challenger
12-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I have you beat bud. Been with my girl since 15 yrs old and we're 23 now. I still wouldn't buy a promise ring. Its a terrible idea. Where did it get you? Do you really need to buy a ring to show someone that you love them? That's not the kind of girl I even want to be with. Not to take anything away from you and your girl, its not my intentions.

Where did it get me????????
IT SHUT HER UP. :D .. You know thats you opinion. She likes jewerly and she really wanted it so i got it for her. I hate getting jewerly and she knows it. i'd rather buy her something she'd use all the time.

Sometimes you have to give a little,even if its not what you want to do. and the comment with i have you beat?? grow up..its not a battle . the kid was asking for advice and the first words you typed you were putting his relationship down that you barely knew anything about.

bwamos
12-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by HtFoxChick
To be honest...I don't like the idea of a promise ring. If your set on a ring, why not a nice ruby or other stones. They're nice. I'd stay clear from diamonds..I LOVE EM..but anything can happen and you have plenty of time to buy the big one, when the time comes. Good Luck and just take your time. My .02

I agree.

Save the diamond for when it will have the most meaning.

Use the diamond now.. the engagement ring down the road will be mediocre at best.

It's like buying a dozen roses and a $100 a plate dinner on your first date. You're screwed after that.. lol. Not that your intentions aren't good, and well meant. You'll just be placing unrealistic expectations upon yourself, and setting her up for dissapointment. This is just my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt. Every relationship is different, and in no way do I know the ins and outs of yours.

IMHO, set her up for the most satisfatcion in the long run. Don't use a blowtorch on a candle. ;)

Oh and FYI, I'm still single.. LOL.:blah:

416exfreak
12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, she wasnt saying that she wanted it, she was just saying how pretty it was.

We've been together for two years. I just want to do something special for her.

I asked one of her friends to try and find out for me, so we'll see.

And sorry to those who think im an idiot. To each thier own I suppose:D

bwamos
12-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Nah don't take it like that, bro. Just a lot of "been there, done that before's" and a few who think they are players.

Nothing wrong with jewelry. Get to shopping. ;) Do some searching, and make it come from the heart. I'd just avoid diamonds, yellow gold, or anything resembling a wedding ring.

Get her something she'll enjoy wearing for a long time after the "showing off" period is over. ;) Something that fits her personality.

Don't pigeon hole yourself into a ring either. There's a couple companies that make white gold bracelets that you can buy these, I guess you could say, charms for. Very pretty bracelet that you can add to over time as opportunity strikes.

Show's a level of "long term commitment" without being too serious. And leaves that door wide open for "the ring" later. ;)

CRich[814]
12-10-2007, 01:41 PM
i think its a good idea. i've been dating my girlfriend for a year and a half, and want to do something kind of cute/special for xmas. i think im going with a necklace because she has a ballin *** class ring i can't compete with. but i personally say go for it. and deff steal one of her rings and size it up at the ring store.

hondarules
12-10-2007, 07:12 PM
in four years i bought 2 promise rings an a necklace..had almost 1,500 in it all..an havent talked to the girl in a year an she pawned it all off

400exrider707
12-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
Where did it get me????????
IT SHUT HER UP. :D .. You know thats you opinion. She likes jewerly and she really wanted it so i got it for her. I hate getting jewerly and she knows it. i'd rather buy her something she'd use all the time.

Sometimes you have to give a little,even if its not what you want to do. and the comment with i have you beat?? grow up..its not a battle . the kid was asking for advice and the first words you typed you were putting his relationship down that you barely knew anything about.

I know its my opinion. My gf loves jewelry as much as the next girl, and I too hate buying it for her, however I have bought her plenty of jewelry. Its not a matter of jewelry, its the idea of the promise ring that seems ridiculous to me.

When I said I have you beat, I wasn't making it a competition, I was simply saying that I've been in it for a while trying to relate situations and show that I do have some experience in the gf department. I didn't put his relationship down in any way, and my first post was showing my ideas and expressions on promise rings, so please dont accuse of such. I personally think the idea of a promise ring is a waste of time/money/energy. If you want to "promise" something, why not just get an engagement ring?

quad2xtreme
12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
My only advice...you shouldn't buy her a ring she likes. You should be buying a ring that you like.

Don't spend more than you make in a month.

Don't spend anything if you don't already have the money in savings. You don't buy jewelry on credit. Jewlery is only worth 1/2 of what you pay for it. Don't make it worse by doubling the cost with interest. Now you have something worth 1/4 of what you paid for it.

I am amazed how many people are willing to spend more when they are buying on credit. You have to ask yourself if you are willing to drain your savings to buy something. If you aren't, then don't buy it on credit either. People get fooled into buying on credit because it seems easier. If you can't save $4,800 in a year then why would you want a car payment of $400 a month?

QuadJunkies
12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
I agree.

Save the diamond for when it will have the most meaning.

I 3rd that