PDA

View Full Version : I've started our 70 build

riding4fun
12-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I figure I will post our (Zachary and I) build. It's time to move up from the 50 to a 70.

So, here's the first of many pictures. It will be gusseted and powder coated. Zachary first said he wanted the frame yellow. But then I was looking through Pappy's colors and he saw the Redvein and now wants that. So I guess it will stay red and black.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/sdflenner/IMG_3873.jpg

racerdad199
12-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Where do you see the colors available for the powdercoating? I would like to see some colors. Thanks

born2ride14
12-10-2007, 05:36 AM
looks pretty sweet but to tell you the truth i would get a 90 motor

riding4fun
12-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 300maniac
looks pretty sweet but to tell you the truth i would get a 90 motor

No can do, he is only 7. 90 class starts at 8 years old.

Nichols Atvs
12-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Got it stripped down real good ,cant wait to see the color of it when its coated .

riding4fun
12-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
Got it stripped down real good ,cant wait to see the color of it when its coated .
Taking the frame to get sandblasted tomorrow. Then as soon as the gusset kit arrives they will be welded in. Then it's off to the powder coaters. I really like the color he selected Redvein.

So far this will be the color scheme.

Plastics- Red with black flames with a carbon fiber look background.

Frame-PC Redvein

DC A arms and swing arm- Gonna leave black, they look too good stock.

Axle-PC Redvein

Steering stem- Gloss black

Handlebars-PC Redvein

Front bumper- Havn't decided it I want it black or red.

Might even do the engine cases and covers. If I decide to do them should I make them black? I think if I made them red it would be too much red.

What do ya think?

mxdad423
12-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey Darrell, just a word of advice, I wouldn't sandblast the frame until after you weld the gussetts in, you will have some splatter from the welding and once you sandblast it if it comes in contact with any moisture at all it will surface rust immediatley, and thats not good, it needs to be spotless when you lay the powder to it if you want the best result. Hope that helps out.

Kevin

riding4fun
12-11-2007, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by mxdad423
Hey Darrell, just a word of advice, I wouldn't sandblast the frame until after you weld the gussetts in, you will have some splatter from the welding and once you sandblast it if it comes in contact with any moisture at all it will surface rust immediatley, and thats not good, it needs to be spotless when you lay the powder to it if you want the best result. Hope that helps out.

Kevin

Kevin,

Dang, and here I was just trying to make it easier for my welder. What if they sandblast it a second time after the welding. Would that make a difference?

hotquads1
12-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Hey Darrell , keep us posted with pics on the progress. Sounds like ya got good plan !
marc

drr5
12-11-2007, 06:41 AM
i second that weld it before you sandblast it it can be a pain to weld even after they are blasted , i prefer chemical stripping myself but i paint cars and have access to the chemicals , but i dont pc anything i paint my frames

Steven623
12-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi Darrell,
The easiest and nicest way to do the job is to blast all the little areas you are going to gussett, then after all welding is done, blast the entire frame. Make sure you cut any extra brackets off etc... that you won't need anymore, tailight etc... it makes a much cleaner job . Nothing like rippin them apart and putting them together with all the new stuff. Enjoy!

Steven

riding4fun
12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by drr5
i second that weld it before you sandblast it it can be a pain to weld even after they are blasted , i prefer chemical stripping myself but i paint cars and have access to the chemicals , but i dont pc anything i paint my frames

I have a local paint store that I buy my stuff from for my car (projects). Now at one point I did have some paint stripping stuff but I can't think of what the name was. What's some good stuff for stripping it. The paint store has everything. By the way thanks for mentioning the stripper, I forgot all about that.

mxdad423
12-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey Darrell, I normally just take my stuff the the welder without any prep and they never seem to have any problems, everybody has differant ways of doing things but I can tell you chemical stripping on a frame is tuff, its almost impossible to get into all the corrners and get off all the paint unless you have a dipping tank or something like that.. Myself and Etondaddy has pc alot of frames and we always do the the same way, Gussett first, sandblast second, wipe the down with accetone, preheat, lay the powder then bake, this seems to be the best way, but again everybody has their ways and I'm not saying that our way is the best but it gives us the best results......Hope that helps....

Kevin

QuadJunkies
12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Cant wait to see it done!
I think Brandons parts will be done this week.

riding4fun
12-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Cant wait to see it done!
I think Brandons parts will be done this week.

I can't wait to see Brandons frame. You did do the Prismatic black right?

kenjolly
12-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Good luck with your build, If you have any questions pm me. I hope you have as much fun as Hayden and I did.

QuadJunkies
12-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by riding4fun
I can't wait to see Brandons frame. You did do the Prismatic black right?
WE did! I think it was coming back from the Blasters today.