PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Adjustment

justinh
12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I just got my first 450r, 2005 bike with HRC kit, ESR pipe, etc. I can't figure out the clutch adjustment for the life of me. I have been from one extreme to the other down on the adjustment on the left side of the engine. When it seems to properly engage (not too tight and not too loose) it will work fine while riding but if I put it in gear (while the bike is off), hold the clutch lever in and try to push it, the clutch is clearly not fully disengaged, I can definitely tell that i am fighting the engine. Any thoughts? Is this a common thing with these bikes? I tried adjusting it to where it will fully disengage and roll smoothly when off with the clutch pulled in but then it is so far out that when I try to ride it the clutch won't engage and it just sits there even in gear with the clutch out (slipping basically).

Just looking for a little guidance on these things, my last bike was a 400ex about 4 years ago and I haven't had a 4wheeler since then.

d3ktrix
12-09-2007, 03:17 AM
When the bike/clutches are cold you wont even be able to budge the bike when you pull the clutch in.
Though when its warmed up its not nearly as bad. It will still feel like its dragging a tad bit. Just not quite as free as when its in neutral.

This is normal

Adjust it so the clutch lever has around 1/8" of play.

justinh
12-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
When the bike/clutches are cold you wont even be able to budge the bike when you pull the clutch in.
Though when its warmed up its not nearly as bad. It will still feel like its dragging a tad bit. Just not quite as free as when its in neutral.

This is normal

Adjust it so the clutch lever has around 1/8" of play.

Awesome! Thank you.

d3ktrix
12-09-2007, 04:35 PM
np

justinh
12-10-2007, 12:19 PM
you mean an 1/8" play at the perch, correct? Any tips for getting the linkage just right down on the side of the engine?

d3ktrix
12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah 1/8 at the perch.

For the first adjustment when setting up my clutch cable I just put the adjuster on the perch all the way in. (This makes the cable real loose)
And then take the slack out with the nut adjustments down on the engine by the clutch. Fine tune the adjustment with the nuts until you have your desired play at the perch.

I normally just make sure the perch has a decent amount of play and the linkage at the clutch isn't pulled tight.

Then as the cable stretches you can use the adjuster at the perch to take up the slack.