PDA

View Full Version : yfz shocks?

97WarriorRider
12-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Has anybody on here put yfz shocks on the front of there 400ex? Last weekend I went up to my cousins place and rode his yfz450 and the suspension was really nice..I have rode many 450r's and i like the yfz shocks alot better than the 450r's..

zrpilot
12-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Like almost anything, you CAN get them to work, but they are not the best shock. The 450R front shocks is a FAR better option!

97WarriorRider
12-08-2007, 05:13 PM
and with the yfz shock it doesnt raise the height of your quad

honda8&3
12-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Ask Eviltanker! He put them on and is VERY pleased. Doesn't bottom out at all and they aren't even rebuilt:cool:

j450rking
12-08-2007, 06:18 PM
you have to shave some metal off the top mounts on the shock but it isn't hard i did it with a hack saw. i never used mine though. i sold them to eviltanker before i had my project done

JOEX
12-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
you have to shave some metal off the top mounts on the shock but it isn't hard i did it with a hack saw. i never used mine though. i sold them to eviltanker before i had my project done
Using a hack saw to install shocks throws up a red flag for me...:ermm:

j450rking
12-08-2007, 06:23 PM
why it was a clean cut:( i don't see why it matters what you use just as long as you do a good job

JOEX
12-08-2007, 06:26 PM
why it was a clean cut:( i don't see why it matters what you use just as long as you do a good job
Let me rephrase that......

Having to trim the shock mounts throws up a red flag for me...:ermm:

j450rking
12-08-2007, 06:45 PM
i don't see why as long as it won't make them weak (witch it dosn't) then they are fine

JOEX
12-08-2007, 06:55 PM
i don't see why as long as it won't make them weak (witch it dosn't) then they are fine
Has this been looked at and approved by an appropriate engineer? I don't know what, where or how much material is needed to be cut away but any cutting of the frame or suspension components woories me, hence the 'red flag'.

Maybe it's fine but it would be something i'd like to have seriously looked into before attempting.

j450rking
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
it's only about 3-4 mm so i don't think it would do anything and if eviltanker has been riding with them for a year now i would think they are fine

97WarriorRider
12-08-2007, 08:20 PM
What type of riding does he do? anybody know?

12-08-2007, 08:31 PM
all I know is I saw 3 guys today on LTR450's and 2 appeared to have stock suspension maybe they had revalves and the other 1 I know cause he if one of Floridas fastest quad racers and he has Fox Shocks and there was this highbank jump made by them and everyone was watching for about 20 minutes they were hitting this hauling some major a** and going so far and when they landed it didnt even look like they hit the ground it was so smooth. Then I stepped out of the crowd watching them and gave it a go haha I hit it and it was awesome until I hit the ground and it wasnt exactly smooth. Anyways I ended up braking the mold and other average joes started to do it it was a fun day riding. My point was are all 450's suspension that good stock where they can just soak up hitting a huge jump without really a landing or did they have to have revalves?

zrpilot
12-08-2007, 08:42 PM
there is more to shocks then "they bolt up" What are the measurements?

bcg717
12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
I put yfz450 shocks on. I love them and i havent had them revalved. It was a huge difference from stock. It took about an hour to grind them down to fit.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/bcg717/1001.jpg

zrpilot
12-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bcg717
I put yfz450 shocks on. I love them and i havent had them revalved. It was a huge difference from stock. It took about an hour to grind them down to fit.

Have you actually measured them to make sure they have enough free length, compressed length, sag, and shaft travel that they will work?

Hondamaster5505
12-09-2007, 07:08 AM
yo, bcg717, do you have more pics of that shock setup drom the side and further back from the front? Those shocks look sick on there and i wanna start looking for those shocks. I just wanna make sure it doesnt have any sag up front

440challenger
12-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by bcg717

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/bcg717/1001.jpg

LOOKS good man...it actually looks like it lowered it some seeing as your a arms are pretty straight

bcg717
12-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I can post more pics up later tonight or tomorrow. No i havent measured them. In this picture the front is lower a little bit, its from when i first put them on. You can pretty much stay at stock height or go down about 5 inches. I bought them for a couple of reasons. 1) Its a little different from what every other 400 had. 2) cheaper than 450r shocks, and easier to get without being outbid all the time. $140 shipped. 3) I ride tracks every now and then and alot of xc, i am not turning pro EVER, or even looking for a sponsorship so it was in my budget and made a great imporvement.
I have used them for about 7 months now and have no complaints.

But if you have the money, or are a avid racer i would probably go with some aftermarkets. Just my 2 cents.

H_W
12-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I put yfz shocks on my 400. I will try to find pics. It did lower the front end a little. I like it alot better.

bcg717
12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Here are a few pics. Hope they help.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/bcg717/1099.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/bcg717/1103.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/bcg717/1102.jpg

dang400ex
12-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I also bought yfz shocks for $150 and i got them milled down at a machine shop professionally by my brother.

I used them for about six months and loved them until i wrecked and bent one real bad.

They allow you to set the ride height of the front of your atv whever you want...they are smoother.

Brauap
12-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Do you have any pics up close? to show us what and how much you had to shave off? I am very interested but I want to see what caused that person's 'red flag' Could anyone post up some pics? Please?!

Thank-You,
Brauap

bansheemorphine
12-20-2007, 08:04 AM
I used the yfz shocks, had to grind down the top mount with a grinder took about a half hour, i have +2 arms and the shocks are awsome way better then stock i have had some hard landings and never bottomed. with the preload ajustment i can lower my quad real low almost touching the ground or crank it up just slightly lower then stock, i do believe the yfz shocks are about 1-2 inches shorter then the ex shocks but they seem to work great.

Eviltanker
12-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry it took me a while to respond, I'm currently deployed again.
I have the shocks on and really like them. I ride very aggresive trails and some small jumping with no problems or bottoming out for the most part. IMO worth the money.

97WarriorRider
12-21-2007, 11:04 AM
eviltanker where are you at in eastern Pa? And are you running stock length a arms?

j450rking
12-21-2007, 09:59 PM
last time i knew he was running stock a arms

glamiskid395
12-21-2007, 11:03 PM
does anybody have before and after pics of grinding the eye of the shock to make it fit?

i can get yfz shocks for $50 or even free, but i dont want to weaken the eye of the shock too much

Eviltanker
12-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Stock length, Yes. I have not revalved them since they are working awsome as is.

Barrymaxx
12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I to have been using these shocks for more than a half a year. I am very pleased with them. I ride everything, trails, drag, mx, hilclimbs. They are pretty smooth for trails, but not quite as smooth as stock. Jumping is a whole nother story. They work excelent. Very adjusable, you can set them up however you want. They will make your back shock feel like crap though, because they work really well. However they are shorter then stock shocks, which makes it ride a little lower. Thats not a problem for me though.

I did check them out and the shocks bottom before the bal joints so, so you wont have any problems there. Trimming the upper mount dosent weaken them significantly. Ive flipped mine end over end once, hit a rock and tweeked the frame, and just basicly ride really hard on it. The shocks are holding up perfectly.

Im looking into +2 or +3 arms though. SO ill see how they work out If its not good, thel be forsale on here.

Barrymaxx
12-26-2007, 12:06 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/barrymaxx/DSC01013.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/barrymaxx/DSC01012.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/barrymaxx/DSC01011.jpg

Thats with it set up with some sag. Its higher now. My back shock collar is seized so I cant drop the rear to match. But when im on it its level

glamiskid395
12-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Barrymaxx
Thats with it set up with some sag. Its higher now. My back shock collar is seized so I cant drop the rear to match. But when im on it its level [/B]

take a hammer and punch to it and it will move. maybe some heat too. be careful with the heat though.

97WarriorRider
12-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Barrymaxx
I to have been using these shocks for more than a half a year. I am very pleased with them. I ride everything, trails, drag, mx, hilclimbs. They are pretty smooth for trails, but not quite as smooth as stock. Jumping is a whole nother story. They work excelent. Very adjusable, you can set them up however you want. They will make your back shock feel like crap though, because they work really well. However they are shorter then stock shocks, which makes it ride a little lower. Thats not a problem for me though.

I did check them out and the shocks bottom before the bal joints so, so you wont have any problems there. Trimming the upper mount dosent weaken them significantly. Ive flipped mine end over end once, hit a rock and tweeked the frame, and just basicly ride really hard on it. The shocks are holding up perfectly.

Im looking into +2 or +3 arms though. SO ill see how they work out If its not good, thel be forsale on here.

There not as smooth as stock?? I thought they would be alot smoother than stock on the trails

Barrymaxx
12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
A stock 400ex rides pretty smooth. If you droped the compression all the way down it would probly ride pretty smooth. I jump anything and everything, so I have them a little stiffer, even for trails.

zell250x
02-28-2008, 05:48 PM
did you take the bushing out before you ground them? and can you get close up pics? what is the best way to grind them down? I just got some and would like some help.

07trx400ex
02-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Has anyone tried LTR-450 shocks they look to be as good, if not better than anything other than the ohlins that come on the kTM.

dang400ex
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Well...I would use a hacksaw and then grind the rest of the way to make it perfect...grinding all the way would overheat the rubber bushing and would take a while...I had mine done by a machinist at my brothers work though and they are very nice and straight.

dang400ex
02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
And I have proof that cutting the necessary amount off the sides of the eye of the yfz shocks wont weaken them too much. I was dune riding last fall and it was night time and I wrecked into my buddy from behind...It bent the shock shaft( the middle part) a lot...I hit hard...but the eye was still in tact...it did have a small crack and was a little bent. But if it can withstand a force like this than it is surely strong enough to use on your quad for riding.

dang400ex
02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
And I have proof that cutting the necessary amount off the sides of the eye of the yfz shocks wont weaken them too much. I was dune riding last fall and it was night time and I wrecked into my buddy from behind...It bent the shock shaft( the middle part) a lot...I hit hard...but the eye was still in tact...it did have a small crack and was a little bent. But if it can withstand a force like this than it is surely strong enough to use on your quad for riding.

I do have a picture if anyone wants me to email it to them or tells me how to post it

Eviltanker
02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by 97WarriorRider
eviltanker where are you at in eastern Pa? And are you running stock length a arms?
I Live near Kutztown. I am still runing stock lenght arms. Sorry it took me a little to respond again Internet is tough to come by in Kyrgyztan.