PDA

View Full Version : Off-road vehicle owners may face stiff penalties

Dale@AGP
12-07-2007, 08:47 AM
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--off-roadvehicles1206dec06,0,2292718.story

Off-road vehicle owners may face stiff penalties

By TOM HESTER Jr. | Associated Press Writer
2:09 PM EST, December 6, 2007

TRENTON, N.J. - The 300,000 New Jerseyans who drive off-road vehicles, such as dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles, would face harsh penalties for riding them in state parks under a bill pushed forward Thursday by Assembly legislators.

The proposal was endorsed by environmentalists who contend the vehicles are destroying pristine areas of state parks and endangering park staff and visitors.

Gylla MacGregor of the New Jersey Audobon Society said she's witnessed people riding through the Pinelands without regard.

"I've seen ATVs ride right through habitats, pulling up timbers that we put in place and riding right over where the snakes are," she said.

Off-road vehicle users contend they're being targeted for the shoddy actions of a few. They also say the state should do more to provide areas where off-road vehicles can be used legally.

The state has one such area, a park in Woodland Township. It's also considering turning a former sand and gravel strip mine in Monroe in Gloucester County into a park for all-terrain vehicles.

"The vast majority of off-highway vehicle users want to do things responsibly, but there really isn't any opportunity in New Jersey," said Dale Freitas, president of the New Jersey Off-Highway Vehicle Association.

The bill would amend a 1973 law that imposes a maximum fine of $200 for taking off-road vehicles onto state land.

The new law would allow authorities to impound the vehicle for at least 48 hours and charge owners $500, plus towing and storage cots.

It would also allow authorities to suspend the driver's license for as long as two years, depending on the severity of the charge, for anyone who operates an off-road vehicle in a state park.

"At some point you have to send a message that this is land that is very sensitive and should be preserved for future generations," said the bill sponsor, Assemblyman Reed Gusciora, D-Mercer.

Assemblywoman Jennifer Beck, R-Monmouth, said the proposed penalties were too harsh.

"You're setting up a system of penalties that is so against ATV use at all that it's not fair," Beck said.

54warrior
12-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Glad I dont' live in Dirty Jersey!

wilkin250r
12-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Dale@AGP
["At some point you have to send a message that this is land that is very sensitive and should be preserved for future generations," said the bill sponsor, Assemblyman Reed Gusciora, D-Mercer.

I always wondered about this train of logic. Wouldn't some of these future generations be riders?

If it's illegal to ride on state parks, then it's illegal, and I'm okay with stiff penalties for violations. But are there alternatives? Last I checked, offroad riders pay taxes, and should we also have public land that is available for OUR use? Who is preserving riding areas for future generations?

naw0029
12-07-2007, 01:48 PM
They could give a s**t about us. As long as their pocket padding, tree hugging pals get what they want there happy.

Its also funny how the whole article has only about two lines about the lack of riding arears in Jersey, and how the park in Monroe twp. is being looked at. Yea im sure there looking at it, haha, what a f'in joke, i did a 12 page report on that park when i was a senior in high school and now in a jouinor in college and what has been done NOTHING.

It happens every year some back stabbing polition looking to make a name for them self takes shots at the little people, in this case its us.

440challenger
12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Yup, its the EPA that are busting are balls and the fish and game are told to inforce it. I think its another month until it gets the final approval or dissaproval.

Supposedly every bike/atv has to be registerd/insured etc. I heard a bunch of things...who knows whats true and whats not. All i know is that with the rising prices , very strict rules,/ areas.lack or rididng and how the state is really out to get offroad riders, makes me want to move.

bradley300
12-07-2007, 05:12 PM
if its illegal and your doing it anyway then get caught, i hope you cant afford the fine and have to sell your quad. it would be a good lesson to all the yahoo's that ruin everything

deathman53
12-07-2007, 08:21 PM
This is the reason I have 2 dual sports, 100% legal to ride on most state land, except state parks and posted county and private land. My atv's don't see trails, they only see mx tracks. I want to keep them and keeping them away from any possibly illegal usuage is the goal. What the article forgets to put is that the ONLY offroad park in NJ is closing in sept 08, with no plans of extending the lease and the red tape surounding the former strip mine in Monroe is MILES deep. I don't see that park opening. NJ is too much against atv's and dirtbikes, we are forced to be criminals or go to PA to ride. Most people would rather chance it and ride at their illegal spots vs drive 2-3+ hours to go riding.

deathman53
12-07-2007, 08:29 PM
440challenger, under most circumstances you can't register dirbikes, then they would be street legal. Alot of the titles/mso's say something about "for offroad use only". I got my 2 dirtbikes past dmv and got plates for them, this is getting harder and harder in NJ.

440challenger
12-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
440challenger, under most circumstances you can't register dirbikes, then they would be street legal. Alot of the titles/mso's say something about "for offroad use only". I got my 2 dirtbikes past dmv and got plates for them, this is getting harder and harder in NJ.

Yes i know that is how it is currently. They are going to make it so you can/have to register dirtbikes and other quads etc even ones without titles. they want all offroad vehicles accounted for.Supposendly they can pull you over and ask for reg and ins on your quad or dirtbike if its in the BACK of your pickup!

Yes , dual sports are great, but if you get caught off the beaten path your going to get it just as bad.

I also heard somethign about the minimum age to ride a motorcycle/dirtbike legally is 14? any input on that guys??I believe it was brought up at the meeting that went on a few days ago.

NJ450rider
12-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Dont forget the piece of land the DEP is purchasing in ocean county(little egg harbor area) for dirtbike and atv use besides the strip mine in monroe. Its not like there not trying. there just not trying hard enough. Acutally its more like to little to late. This problem is getting big there being no where to ride in NJ legally. The NJDEP promised us two functional state parks by 2005. Its going into 2008 and we have none. I think we need to start *****ing more!

Dale@AGP
12-08-2007, 06:08 AM
NO.... Three OHV parks by 2005!

Two new ones and a replacement for the existing one.

Dale@AGP
12-08-2007, 06:12 AM
This is the is the Bill A-4172 as it passed in the Transportation committee.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A4500/4172_U1.HTM

440challenger
12-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Dale@AGP
This is the is the Bill A-4172 as it passed in the Transportation committee.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A4500/4172_U1.HTM

Ahh thats what i was looking for. good info there. I believe if you buy a new atv/dirtbike it has to be reg and insured before it leaves the dealer also.

deathman53
12-08-2007, 10:21 AM
If this is true....Supposendly they can pull you over and ask for reg and ins on your quad or dirtbike if its in the BACK of your pickup!, then the police can pull over alot of people, none of my atv's are registered, One of them(currently) is a custom made frame w/o numbers on it. My understanding of the law is that it has to be registered/insured ONLY when operating on public or state property and when crossing or going adjacant to the road for access to connecting trails, this what I was told by a police officer. However another part of the dmv atv manual says it needs to reg/ins at all times. Too confusing.

If its true that they need to be reg/ins, I guess all the people that own laeger, aerens, lsr, walsh, prp, front line and other brand frames are screwed, as you can't register them, as most have no numbers. Lsr's come with a Mso, but I'm told that it doesn't mean anything to insurance companies as, they go by the book value and most of them hold no book value. They go by NADA book values. There isn't laeger, lsr, walsh, or any of the aftermarket frames in their book.

NJ450rider
12-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I was jsut talking about state run parks. The NJORVP is privately run. and yeah the new land that was bought for the new NJORVP isnt gonna happen by september 2008. And i dont think its gonn happen at all. If the state run parks dont open by the end of next year there will be zero legal places to ride in NJ. Like i said i think we need to start b*tching more to our government!

XXX -rider
12-09-2007, 07:09 AM
plain & simple NJ goverment & laws have always sucked .. & will always!!!
now ATCO MX is no longer

Dale@AGP
12-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Here's the deal... 300,000 OHV owners in new Jersey and .1% cause the problems for all of us.

The Apathy among the OHV community is deafening.

I've never in my life seen such a group of people so willing to role over and get smacked around!

It reminds me of that little nerd I remember as child back in elementary school that always got picked on and never fought back. (You know, the one that we all sat back and watched, but did nothing to stop it from happening!)

Now that little nerd's the bird watching, tree hugger and he's using the system to shut down the woods and take away our machines.

I guess that makes you'll a bunch of do nothing pussies?

Kind of funny how it all comes around... isn't it?