PDA

View Full Version : LT80 - Petcock

ziemer
12-07-2007, 07:16 AM
New to the site, and I just bought a 2000 LT80 for my daughter. :cool:

My question is, should fuel flow freely with the petcock in the "ON" position, or just when it's in the "PRIME" position?

Also, is there a good source for OEM and/or aftermarket replacement parts?

Thanks! :D

2crazy2care
12-07-2007, 07:31 AM
In the "on" position the fuel is fed by engine vacuum. It only flows freely in the "prime" position. What parts are you looking for?

ziemer
12-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by 2crazy2care
In the "on" position the fuel is fed by engine vacuum. It only flows freely in the "prime" position. What parts are you looking for?

Well, it sounds like I need a petcock. :D ;) It was having trouble starting, so I pulled some of it apart to see what I had to start with. Besides the petcock, the coil wire is real stiff and has come off the coil. Don't know if the combination of these two could be the hard start problem.

Thanks!

LT80
12-07-2007, 08:59 AM
You should get a new wire on first to see if that's the prob (good chance).
Get a Arctic cat spark plug cap. They fit tight and will not fall off. Any piece of plug wire will work.
Usually any atv/cycle shop can help.

If the petcock works like stated above, then it's not the start problem.:)

ziemer
12-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by LT80
If the petcock works like stated above, then it's not the start problem.:)

Well, when I picked it up the other night, the guy I got it from said it started right up, but after running for a little while it shut off and we could not get it started again. When we pulled the plug, it was very oily and black, and the cylinder seem to have a lot fuel (we cranked it over a couple of times without the plug.) So that's why I thought maybe it could be a combination of the two, weak spark & too much fuel. :confused: :confused:

LT80
12-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Could be right. :)
Sure needs a spark at the plug and a obvious problem there.
I also think cleaning the carb will help.
Remove both jets and the float needle seat and clean well.
You'll have to spin it to blow the crankcase clean (like you did).Once all cleaned and all put together, I think it'll start. You may have to crank on it a while. Be careful not to overheat the starter.
Put the petcock on prime to fill the carb. Choke it for a couple cranks. If it starts, shut choke off.
If it doesn't, shut choke off and open throttle fully and crank over till it starts.
Once running, keep it revved up till it cleans out. With luck, the neighbors won't call the fire dept. cuz of the smoke. :D :D

Should be fine after that.

Petcocks on these seem to last forever. But if worried, just get a on/off valve at the lawn mower shop and leave it on prime. :D

ziemer
12-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks for your help. ;)

One last question (at least for now :D ) What should the spark plug be gapped at? I picked up a couple new ones the other day, and wanted to double check the gap. (They were the NGK BPR7HS)

LT80
12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
.025 should do it. :)

ziemer
12-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, I'm just about ready to fire it up. :D :cool:

Got a new coil, rewired basically everything, got a new petcock (with just on/off/res.), cleaned the carb, re-painted the frame & plastic, cleaned & lubed the chain, got a new in-line fuel filter, a new spark plug, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I think a number of things were leading to the hard start problem. Both jets in the carb were full of crap, the coil wire separated from the coil, the spark plug was really nasty, and the petcock was bad (plus it didn't have the reserve pickup), and the gas tank was full of samll debris, so we'll see what happens.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to fire it up tonight. Only thing I still need to do is re-paint the wheels, and check and/or change the gear lube. ;)

I'll get some pictures before the week's end too. ;)

skippy1999
12-23-2007, 10:06 AM
hay LT80.. I want to pick up one of these petcocks.. but from Suz, which one is this? quadracer? can you fill in the numbers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290192616760&rd=1

THX!

LT80
12-23-2007, 12:52 PM
I've seen that but sorry, no real idea what machine it is actually for.
A banshee petcock will work fine and retails for 23.61 the parts fiche says from the dealer I buy from...
You will have to stretch the stock hose ALOT on the petcock end of the fuel hose or get a bigger hose and tighten down hard on the carb end.
Hope that helps. :)

ziemer
12-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by skippy1999
hay LT80.. I want to pick up one of these petcocks.. but from Suz, which one is this? quadracer? can you fill in the numbers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290192616760&rd=1

THX!

That's the same one I got, and I got it from that seller. Works perfect. He shipped it pretty fast too. ;)

ktmnutz
05-25-2009, 07:44 PM
The petcock from an LT160 will bolt right on with the right size fuel line and the ability to turn it on and off manually, plus it costs less than the one for the 80

kkesler
07-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ktmnutz
The petcock from an LT160 will bolt right on with the right size fuel line and the ability to turn it on and off manually, plus it costs less than the one for the 80

Is this for any year LT160?

sandtopia
02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Hello just looking around and found this post, a newer Yamaha TW 200 pet cock works killer, Part #23f-24500-11 it has on/off/res and cost $16.02 , first remove the fuel line and the spring, remove the vacuum line and place the spring around the vacuum line and use it for the fuel line as the old one is too short, put a cap one the vacuum from the carb, I removed the tank and removed the old petcock and cleand the surface then put some hylamar on the tank, put the new petcock inand replaced the tank, filled the tank with fuel and my kid has been riding every where, just make sure to turn the fuel off when not in use or you will be pulling the plug and crankin it over to get all the fuel out of the crank case and head. hope this helps , I also have the carb repair manual on pdf if some one needs, just let me know and i can email to you.
23F-24500-11-00
TW200 - TW200T1 - 2005
Assembly: FUEL TANK
FUEL COCK ASSY 1 (SKU: 23F-24500-11-00) 1 $11.05

sandtopia
02-13-2010, 07:48 PM
I need your email if you would like a copy sent to you, 300 plus pages so i cant post and i dont think it would come through in a pm. Thanks:devil: