PDA

View Full Version : choke??

honda400ex01aca
12-06-2007, 04:09 PM
takin the choke out of the 400ex carb do i need any parts to replace on it or can i just take it out and cover up the whole?

and what is the point of this will i get more hp or some thing?

honda8&3
12-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Well I'm not sure about patching but the reason for this mod is better throttle response. Snappier throttle, does work but not that well. You will notice a difference but not a whole lot;)

drew416ex
12-06-2007, 07:23 PM
i took it out and put the caps back over the holes with some silicone.

Ridiculous
12-06-2007, 08:17 PM
i've been curious doesn't that make it a b!tch to start sometimes? if so what do ya'll do about it?

just curious

drew416ex
12-06-2007, 08:27 PM
It hasnt been a problem for me no matter what temperature. Before you roll the engine over, hit the throttle and hold it a few seconds. Then hit the start button and it should crank right up.

12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
my 400ex as far as I know has the choke in but theres no lever and my quad does feel quick for being all stock so maybe I dont have a choke plate in there I will have to check tomorrow or something. But me not having a choke lever just pump the throttle twice or so and start it and try and keep a steady rev then its good to go. the only time i really had trouble was when it was 1:30 in the morning and we were going for a night ride to drag race at these dunes along the powerlines and it was about 30 degrees or so and me not having the lever to use the choke (if i even have 1) made starting it so hard! Everyone was waiting for me to get mine started. I had to keep pumping the throttle and starting it cause it kept shutting off so finally I put it in gear pulled in the clutch and ran with it down the street then hopped on and started it and it just sputtered for 30 seconds while riding then fnally was going good.

Ridiculous
12-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
It hasnt been a problem for me no matter what temperature. Before you roll the engine over, hit the throttle and hold it a few seconds. Then hit the start button and it should crank right up.
interesting, i didn't know that. so what does hitting the throttle do?

trx400EXtreme
12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Ridiculous
interesting, i didn't know that. so what does hitting the throttle do? it primes the carb... kinda like when you prime a lawn mower or something.

drew416ex
12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
interesting, i didn't know that. so what does hitting the throttle do?

everytime you hit the throttle it activates the accelerator pump squirting raw fuel into the combustion chamber. Hitting it just gives little short squirts, but if you hold the throttle, it will squirt a steady stream for 6 seconds or more.

Ridiculous
12-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
it primes the carb... kinda like when you prime a lawn mower or something.
ahh, i know exactly what you mean!

JOEX
12-06-2007, 08:52 PM
i've been curious doesn't that make it a b!tch to start sometimes? if so what do ya'll do about it?

just curious
I've heard many who do this 'mod' put in a larger pilot jet. Stock is 38. A 40, 42 or maybe a 45 pilot jet may be required.

my88r
12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I've heard many who do this 'mod' put in a larger pilot jet. Stock is 38. A 40, 42 or maybe a 45 pilot jet may be required.

yes, i believe a bigger pilot is required.

12-07-2007, 02:42 PM
i just now verified that i have the choke modcarried out. Wewonderedwhy my stock 400ex was so much faster than others and thats why it was hard to start and thats why it was faster. so the mod is awesome considering the gains for such little work.