PDA

View Full Version : Common problems on the 04 and 05's

400exrapes
12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
What are some common problems to look for on the 04's and 05's 450r's?
I know that the first one to three years a company comes out with a new product that they have some faults. What type of "faults" should I look to have fixed when I get this next 450r cause it will be either an 04 or 05? any help is always appreciated.

450R_lover
12-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I havent had a single problem with my early 04'. "knock on wood" but I think it was the late 04' early 05' models had crank bearing issues. Honda switched bearings to save some money or something, and the bearings are a tad smaller in diameter.. from what I have gotten out of it. Thats about the only major thing i can think of.

400exrapes
12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
okay thanks thats helpful are there any other common problems? and if i have a crank bearing problem will honda fix it for free like a recall or anything? or isnt that a sticky on here?

kbass24emtp
12-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Keep an eye out for the frame cracking by the upper engine mount. This is the only issue I've had with mine.

maticus
12-06-2007, 03:59 PM
yeah i havent really had any problems with mine either, ( other than me screwing something up). but my friend has one of the first 04's off the line and the only problems he has had was his fault too, and he beats the crap out of his. im pretty sure he has never changed his oil filter and he uses straight 30w oil and 87 octane gas, so the thing is pretty much a lightning fast tank.

400exrider707
12-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Definitely crank bearings like most said, but oddly enough out of 4 or 5 of my buddies, most of us have had the rod bearing go. Thats what went on mine. Check the upper rear frame by the motor mount, breaks a lot there. Also check out below the kicker, the casing cracks a lot right there.

450R_lover
12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I think these engines are just about bullet proof as long as you maintain them. My buddy bought an 05' and when he got it he changed the oil and there were tons of metal shavings in the oil. They were aluminum. He contunued to ride it and I finally convinced him that he needed to tear it down and see what it was. Well, when we did one of the thrust washers on the crank that are on each side between the the rod and the crank was sheared off and was lying on top of the crank! A huge chunk of aluminum was sitting in there and that thing was still running. If something can run with big chunks of metal floating around in it, then i consider it bulletproof. Tough engines IMO.

400exrapes
12-06-2007, 04:51 PM
alright so crank bearings, and frame cracks. Do those frame gusset kits help prevent these cracks?

450R_lover
12-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Sure do. If you race MX alot, get it done. If your just a casual trail rider, there usually is no need for it. Just send your frame to pappy when you get it if you race, he will install the gusset kit and powdercoat it any color you like. :macho

400exrapes
12-06-2007, 07:04 PM
haha sounds good im planning on racing mx i just have to find a damm 450r in new york or jersey first...if any of you know anyone im looking to spend like 3200 or less so let me know if any of you know anyone. Thanks for all the help too !

the Z Man
12-06-2007, 07:24 PM
The intake valves wear, the frame cracks by the stem mount, upper motor mount, and underneath by the foot pegs.
the timing chain from the factory is kind of weak and should be replaced with a stock one about the same time the intake valves need it.
I have raced one for 4 years now, very little troubles, normal wear in the clutch basket, carrier bearings, brakes, cables.
www.bobziebell41.com

Turboderf
12-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey z man you preity much said it right on my buddy has 04 that what he had going on and i have 2 06 i have done the valves and timing chain on 1 with no help from honda ex warranty after they tor it down bike was only 1 year old with no racing just good fast trail rides