PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage?

Rip_Tear
11-09-2002, 07:04 PM
What should I do to my 400ex for the winter? I wont likely be riding it, I have the sled and all. I realise these threads have probly been posted before, but newer ones will help other new people.

THanks!

11-09-2002, 07:32 PM
put it on a stand so u dont mess up your tires. also i heard to plug up the snorkel cuz mice and stuff go in there:huh

Rip_Tear
11-09-2002, 07:36 PM
will do! I am going to put it up on a plate. I will definately plug everything up. Not likely anything is around to get in it anyways!

11-09-2002, 07:41 PM
also i heard to drain the tank and float bowl but i think that would build up more moisture then if u filled it up all the way and threw some gas stabilizer in there. Im not sure but do what u think is better.

RED121572
11-10-2002, 11:44 AM
I second that. Drain the carb. The rest of the gas thats in the gas tank, pour it into one of your parents cars.

Wouldnt hurt to put new engine oil in it either.
After thats done, make room in your closet and hang your quad up on a coat hanger.:blah

Rip_Tear
11-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Alrighty! I hope I dont have to put the quad away yet, but the way the weather has been acting I will soon.:( :mad:

E400X
11-11-2002, 01:43 PM
I have been told that Filling your tank up with fresh gas and Stabilizer is much better then draining the gas out. You will never get all the gas out of the tank and carb when draining. The best thing to do is fill it up with fresh gas and stabil, let it run for 5 mins or so so it circulates through the whole system and then top off the tank again. You should be fine though the winter and she should fire right up in the spring.

11-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by E400X
I have been told that Filling your tank up with fresh gas and Stabilizer is much better then draining the gas out. You will never get all the gas out of the tank and carb when draining. The best thing to do is fill it up with fresh gas and stabil, let it run for 5 mins or so so it circulates through the whole system and then top off the tank again. You should be fine though the winter and she should fire right up in the spring.

I agree. Like i said in my first post i think that would be better then draining the gas

tom400ex
11-12-2002, 11:05 AM
should you then shut off the gas? or leave it on?

If any of you guys are looking for a good ATV lift costco has them cheep. I payed 89 buck for mine!

E400X
11-12-2002, 01:50 PM
should you then shut off the gas? or leave it on?

I always shut the gas off after every ride

11-12-2002, 05:05 PM
i usually leave mine on. Makes it easier to start next ride. I dont think it makes a difference if its on or off

Rip_Tear
11-12-2002, 07:09 PM
You should turn it off if left for a long period, stops gas leakage, etc. Thanks for all the tips! Keep them comming!