PDA

View Full Version : Just need to ask...

TheNewn
12-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Me and my dad have been disagreeing on an issue about my 250R and his 700 Raptor.

I believe that a well tuned and matched up (intake/pipe/port) 330 PV motor would keep up pretty well with his Raptor (which has the big three, LTE dual pipes, EFI controller, air filter).

He seems to believe the Raptor just like that will still pull away without too much effort.

For the sake of less argument, lets assume both riders 'skill level' are the same.

I figure a 330 PV can put out upwards of 60 HP and a 250R is much lighter than a Raptor, his is putting out approximately 50 horsepower right now.

His saving grace, is that the pure torque of the raptor will take it ahead.

Thoughts? Hah, sorry to post another one of these "is this faster than this?" threads...never thought i'd be that guy..

250r4life
12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
im referring to dragging up hills at the dunes...

i think a nicely set up 265R would be more comparable, and i cant imagine needing more than a 275R to pull away from that 700...

250r4life
12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
well, to put it this way, i've got several riding buddies that have raptor 700s with HMF full systems, K&N pro desgins, and the fuel controller...

i never had any of them work over my 265... and i probably coulda gained some top end with a 38mm instead of a 36 carb...

Nac's22
12-06-2007, 10:43 AM
friend of mine has a raptor with trinity exhaust, fuel controler, and intake and my r is kinda worked but not too much and i pulled away like it was nothing

TheNewn
12-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Pretty interesting. 250R4Life do you mind telling me what that 265R had all done to it? Maybe its in your sig, heh, i'll look.

TheNewn
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Alright your sig had it all, didnt read the first time. Looks pretty well set up.

So you guys are saying that a 310 or a 330PV would be overkill? Would the dunes give the advantage to a 2 stroke because of just pure wheel spin high revving they have?

Most of our races are done on a very long beach that we can get up to full speed for quite a ways.

250r4life
12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by TheNewn
Pretty interesting. 250R4Life do you mind telling me what that 265R had all done to it? Maybe its in your sig, heh, i'll look.

sure enough it is...

i dont remember which dome i was running at the time... i wanna say it was a 19cc dome, and i was at about 210 PSI...

TheNewn
12-06-2007, 11:31 AM
a 19CC dome to my knowledge is right on the line to high octane gas right? I'm not sure what PSI is the upper limit. Just to throw it out there, none of this would be on Race gas for me, i live on an island in southeast alaska.

Cant really get race gas here without it costing an arm and a leg, one guy had it shipped up in 50 gallon barrels. A total pain in the a** i think.

Still get Raptor beating power without race gas?

250r4life
12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
depends on the motor... there are more factors than just your dome- not every 19cc dome engine will give you the exact same psi...

but not, it isnt requisite to run race gas to get raptor beating power... i actually lessened my compression, as i didnt like all the stress it puts on the engine... some say it actually reves out better with lower compression...

86 Quad R
12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
an R engine can be very easily setup to take out a 660 or a 700 on pump gas but, things need to be matched up for full benefit.

once set/matched up properly the R should hold its own against your dads 700 in a point A to point B run but its more than likely going to get you in a long topend run.

Scott-300ex
12-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeh I think a 265 will take a 700 easy.

My 250r I ran a raptor and gave him 30 yards before I took off and I blew by him and everyone else I was ridin with.

And for example, if your quad could run on 87, it would make more power to run with 87 than it would with 93, cuz the lower octane burns faster, thats why it causes detonation cuz it burns faster than 93 and 110 burns slower and even, it will give power all the way down for the cylinder movement where 87 will ignite in random spots and collide and light before the piston is to the top. So if yours doesn't need race gas, you will make more power without it.

And if your runnin full speed, its all about gearing, just gear your stocker and you can either take him off the line or reel him in when your in 6th.

Top speed is kinda scary for me on mine, its a little shaky, I think its about 80mph I got a 14 tooth on the front, but try that.

And a 310 or 330 or wutever your talking about, you could have a burger bought by the time he gets to the finish line.

TheNewn
12-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the Info guys. Makes me feel a bit better :)

Eventually after i get the frame/suspension upgrades i'll invest in the motor. Its plenty fast how it is now.

12-08-2007, 08:48 PM
well how is it racing now? are they both stock?

TheNewn
12-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I posted what the Raptor had in the first post. As for the 250R it only has an FMF pipe/silencer and a K&N. Other than taht, its stock i believe.

I get the jump for about 20 feet, then the raptor blows by with ease.

250r4life
12-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Yeh I think a 265 will take a 700 easy.

My 250r I ran a raptor and gave him 30 yards before I took off and I blew by him and everyone else I was ridin with.

And for example, if your quad could run on 87, it would make more power to run with 87 than it would with 93, cuz the lower octane burns faster, thats why it causes detonation cuz it burns faster than 93 and 110 burns slower and even, it will give power all the way down for the cylinder movement where 87 will ignite in random spots and collide and light before the piston is to the top. So if yours doesn't need race gas, you will make more power without it.

And if your runnin full speed, its all about gearing, just gear your stocker and you can either take him off the line or reel him in when your in 6th.

Top speed is kinda scary for me on mine, its a little shaky, I think its about 80mph I got a 14 tooth on the front, but try that.

And a 310 or 330 or wutever your talking about, you could have a burger bought by the time he gets to the finish line.

why is it that everytime you post, i sit there and think of things right and left that are out in left field, and that i could pick apart?

i would take everything you read hear with a grain of salt- and everything you read from scott 300ex with 2 grains of salt.. :D

Aceman
12-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I hate these threads.

Too much talking and not enough racing.

There's really only one way to find out.....:chinese: