PDA

View Full Version : Sat on a 2008 400EX a few hours ago

08400EX
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Posted this info in the other thread but decided to start a new one.

Stopped by MR Cycles to pick up some oil this afternoon and they had just finished uncrating a 2008 400EX!!

I checked it out and it looks even better in person than in the pics. The most noticiable thing is that it looks a LOT smaller than the earlier 400EX. I guess the edgier plastic and MUCH smaller seat/tank area makes it look smaller.

The new seat feels GREAT! It is very narrow at the front much like a dirt bike and so is the tank. I would guess the seat tank area is only 6" or so wide. It is very "huggable"! The seat contours rearward to a very nice wide and flat rear section. Overall when sitting on it the tank looks and feels very slender, I like it!! As I suspected the tool kit is now under the seat and the seat does remove by itself. The new underseat area is very finished looking and is very nice and tidy.

Also notable was the updated heel guards, much larger and makes the foot area feel large for my size 12s.

The updated plastic looks fanatastic, when looking at it from above and behind the "winged section" looks like a futuristic fighter plane!

As I suspected the front air ducts below the new front "wings" do indeed send cool air from the front to under the tank and towards the snorkel. Not quite a real ram air system but it will feed cooler air into the snorkel area. The "ducts" make a 90 degree turn into the air space just in front of the tank. There is also a rubber splash guard below this area I assume to keep out mud and or hot air.

The clutch does feel lighter although not dramatically so ( I compared it to a new 07 sitting close by).

All in all it is exactly as I suspected and maybe even more so.

Unfortunately this was a white and black one so it is still sitting at the dealership instead of in my garage.

Hopefully I will get the call any day now when a red/black one arrives!!!

jesseweaver
12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
sweet. youre pretty lucky, post some pics when you get it.

red_rider38
12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
That's a great review. I wonder what it takes to get the new plastics on the older version. Should be more like the 450r then.

jrafter
12-05-2007, 08:56 PM
no ones going to like this but it looks like a raptor

TheNewn
12-06-2007, 03:58 AM
If you're talking about the raptor 250, absolutely. It looks a lot like that and the YFZ. But who cares? they all look good in my opinion...

12-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Wow 08400ex you must really be in love with 400ex's if you went out and got a 05 for a couple of months until your 08 arrives. Im not saying its a bad thing because I have always wanted a 400ex for trails but never got around to getting one. Hope you like the 08 and are you going to swap the axle out of the 05 and the pipe if it fits?

08400EX
12-06-2007, 06:10 AM
jesseweaver,

Will do, wish I had my camera with me yesterday.

red_rider38,

Since I will have both the 08 and 05 here until I sell the 05 I will take a look at how the plastic is mounted on both.

jrafter and TheNewn,

There were Raptors a few feet from the 08 400EX and there was nothing that made me think they looked similar. The new 400 has a look all it's own. My wife was actualy sitting on the 250 Raptor, it is also a cool looking Quad. Of course all of this is just my personal perception from seeing them in person almost side by side.

RoadRidin450r,

I like the 400EX even more than I thought I would. I got the 05 because we already had some riding trips out of state planned. I was supposed to have the 08 in mid-Novemeber and the trips were planned around getting it. One of the trips was a 4 day ride on the Hatfield McCoy trails over the Thanskgiving weekend, we had a blast and the 400 was perfect for those trails.

Ironically I almost bought an 06 450R to tide me over till the 08 400 arrived. For the trails I ride reverse is a must, so I passed on the 450s.

OH, yes the Eliminator axle and Big Gun are going on the 08 when I get it. Big Gun has already shipped me new labels for the slip on so I can polish it up and make it new looking to match the newness of the 08. Yes it is a sickness, but I am cool with that. :-)

12-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Haha yea I'm the same way, I like to keep all my stuff looking like new.

Hondamaster5505
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
decide whether or not your gonna sell the magura?

08400EX
12-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

I haven't really ridden an 08 yet (last word is mine is supposed to be here tommorow or Monday) but based on the feel of the one at the dealer yes I will sell it. Send me a PM if you want it and we will work out the details.

elmer91
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
sounds sweet. i want a 400ex so bad i cant stand it. but i have to sell my warrior first. :( if i sell it soon, lookin into a brand new 2007. when you get it, i want to know if it rides different, if it does at all.

08400EX
12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by elmer91
sounds sweet. i want a 400ex so bad i cant stand it. but i have to sell my warrior first. :( if i sell it soon, lookin into a brand new 2007. when you get it, i want to know if it rides different, if it does at all.

I doubt it will ride different, I couldn't tell any difference in the suspension at the dealership. Certainly nothing like the 450R suspension.

If you are thinking of getting a 2007 Southern Honda has the brand new 2007s on clearance for $3999! Don't think it is gonna get any better than that!

elmer91
12-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
I doubt it will ride different, I couldn't tell any difference in the suspension at the dealership. Certainly nothing like the 450R suspension.

If you are thinking of getting a 2007 Southern Honda has the brand new 2007s on clearance for $3999! Don't think it is gonna get any better than that!

that is where i saw it at, and that is why i want to sell my warrior, that price is to good to pass up.

08400EX
12-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

Tried to send a reply to your PM, but your mailbox is full,

Hondamaster5505
12-07-2007, 01:50 PM
ill check that out, shouldnt be full??

Hondamaster5505
12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
ok, u can try now. I only have one message and deleted the rest.

08400EX
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Will do.

BTW, got my Red 08 today!!

Pics in this thread:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=327184

jmccary
01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Can you tell if the 08 fenders will fit on an 05? I've been through two sets so far and I can't stand the "floppiness" on the big 05 fenders. Let us know if you think they'll match up and if there's any other differences that you like/dislike.

08400EX
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by jmccary
Can you tell if the 08 fenders will fit on an 05? I've been through two sets so far and I can't stand the "floppiness" on the big 05 fenders. Let us know if you think they'll match up and if there's any other differences that you like/dislike.

They should fit OK, and you could do some modding triming to make them work on an earlier version. For them to fit perfectly thou you will need probably to change the seat too, then you will need to change the gas tank, then the front fenders and on and on for it to all fit correctly.

I like everything about them, no floppiness as they are rock solid, and having just the seat come off is a pleasure. Also if you need to gain more access the fenders come off very easy. The new heel guard design is tons better as it doesn't pack up with mud etc as bad as the earlier version. Something about the taller vertical slits vs horizonal slits that helps it work better for shedding "crap" out of it.

After I get mine even more scratched up in a few months I will probably get a new rear black section and put some of that clear 3M film over the area where my legs and knees rub. That shiney black scratches really bad there with all the dirt/grit and looks "chalky white", it drives me nuts. I don't mind the normal scratches and scrapes, but that area is really bad in just a month. Any way what I was getting at is once I get the replacement I will sell the old scratched one very cheap and it would be perfect for an "experiment" on the earlier version.

Hope that helps.

jmccary
01-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I like the wide seat so hopefully I could make it work. I can deal with changing out the plastics since mine are pretty much shot but it would be really nice if they would bolt up to the existing mounts. Not having to try a new fuel tank would be nice too. Let me know when you get those plastics scuffed up. I hate the stock ones and can't come up with a cut that solves my problem.