PDA

View Full Version : tested a new rear shock.....

Pappy
11-09-2002, 05:17 PM
i cant say what brand it was, but it was sent for evaluation to a sponcered racer friend of mine. i helped install it and we did a comparison of sag , ride height etc.

i noticed the top spring was much heavier then the elka it was replacing for the test. a 650 pound spring i believe. the lower spring was a 450 pound with a different stop at the bottom. it was softer then a comparable stop.

when we did the measurements it had 1 1/4 inches less sag and had the same ride height as the comparable shock. the ride on rutted terrain and studder bumps was very smooth and controlable. we didnt adjust anything, although we both agreed it had a lil too much rebound.

all in all i thought this shock performed better then my elka rear. i hope this shock continues to preform well and will be made available to the public. if and when i am allowed to tell the manufactures name i will, and lets just say some will be very very surprised. we tested for an hour between us on a gncc practice course and it sucked up everything we thru at it. from what i understand this will be a shock designed for gncc racing but we did hit a few 30 footers and it did fine.

user101
11-09-2002, 05:27 PM
cool:D

cdalejef
11-09-2002, 05:37 PM
;)

Pappy
11-09-2002, 05:42 PM
i forgot too mention we were able to get 3 inches more of usable rear suspension travel:p

11-09-2002, 05:54 PM
i dont know if this ia big joke or serious

Pappy
11-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by EXracer8601
i dont know if this ia big joke or serious

im very serious. i have talked with jeff about this also, i really think this company just took a very big step for the xc riders.

11-09-2002, 06:21 PM
So its not for the c-dale hmmm, ok cat stay in the bag now.

dont know if this ia big joke or serious LOL Kenny now no one knows how to take you :) :devil or why :blah

Interesting notes you made as this was something I was planning on talking to elka about, basicly the rear set up is shadowed big time by the lt front and needs some "re thinking".

Glad to see someone is addressing the problem even if its jethro's shock company.

Dave400ex
11-09-2002, 06:23 PM
Geez now you are going to have us all going nuts until you tell us who it is. :eek:

Pappy
11-09-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Geez now you are going to have us all going nuts until you tell us who it is. :eek:

lmao.....sorry but i dont know if im allowed to or not truthfully. it is a well known company , that of late hasnt gotton much respect tho;)

440.....maybe ya need to call jeff and ask a few questions, there is another lil surprise in the works from a joint effort between 2 companies as we speak:eek: ;)

oh btw, you all should know when im jerkin ya around, but i dont joke around when it comes to parts. i wasnt allowed to even take a pic of the shock:mad: :p

11-09-2002, 07:25 PM
is it a works shock?

Pappy
11-09-2002, 07:25 PM
:eek:

11-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by cdale127
:eek:

:blah

11-09-2002, 07:47 PM
i know which co it is ... send BIG cash & I will tell ..lol!!!:D

11-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
i know which co it is ... send BIG cash & I will tell ..lol!!!:D

whats ur address?

jk

forum
11-09-2002, 07:50 PM
ohlins

11-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by forum
ohlins

no I'll Kenny tell if he wants to:)

forum
i remember jeff talking about it.

Originally posted by forum
ohlins

ur probably right. i think its either ohlins or works. probably ohlins since kenny said u dont really hear abt them much

forum
11-09-2002, 07:53 PM
yea. Thats my guess. But im still getting elka elites.

Dave400ex
11-10-2002, 09:16 AM
Some day we will find out.

Juggalo
11-10-2002, 09:27 AM
i have felt an ohlins rear shock before and it felt awesome! i wouldn't be suprised if it was ohlins. my guess is works pro series tho.

Ralph
11-10-2002, 05:14 PM
i think its works, because i know works can build sweetass shocks, i meght a gncc racers laast weekend and he knew the owner of works, and they built him totaly custom works shocks, and he said he liked them 10x more than a his old p.e.p's and his old axis... so maybe they are going to release them to the public, btw his name was todd fineto.

oh yeah and i also got to ride it and it was sweet(his quad)

NJ300ex
11-10-2002, 05:26 PM
It is works. Kenny's friend ZRacer is sponsored by works and he races GNCC's. Also if Jeff is in on it, he carries works shocks. He doesn't carry Ohlin's.

I have Works Pro Series and like them now that I have them adjusted correctly. Once I get mo' money I will be getting the pro millenium valve kit put in them by Derisi racing. It has a whole new valve and will make them as a good performing as Axis or better.

cdalejef
11-10-2002, 05:49 PM
We carry Ohlins, Elka, Works, Axis, TCS, PEP, White Power, Progressive.......did I miss any?

forum
11-10-2002, 07:47 PM
I highly doubt they can work better then axis or even Top of the line Elka's. But i've been proven wrong so many times. so another wont hurt. If works was capable of building such awsome shocks then why would they be so low on the totom pole for so many years??

Dave400ex
11-10-2002, 07:50 PM
Jeff you have them all expect Derisi and I think he only sells them himself, but not sure.
Derisi can really make the Works better, but I'm not sure like Axis. If he would offer a Revalve kit for the Elka's, I would really think about getting it.
I think Works could have Shocks just as good as Axis, but I'm not sure why they won't make some.

forum
11-10-2002, 07:58 PM
works realies on big sales. selling lots so they have to pump them out fast. they are all cast bodies witch makes the tolerences very from shock to shock. but axis, and elka, ohlins too. build there shock bodies from billet aluminium, which makes for a more presice, shock body. I know works probably makes the most money out of all the companies so they have the power to make a good shock. But I won't believe it till I ride it.

Troy86250r
11-10-2002, 08:06 PM
Does Derisi have a website?

Dave400ex
11-10-2002, 08:11 PM
Derisi Racing (http://www.derisiracing.com) There's not a lot on it about his Shocks though. If you want info on his setups you will have to call, but from I hear, if you are riding Cross Country, they are awesome.

11-10-2002, 08:23 PM
forum, you sound very doubtful about a product in which you have absolutely no expierence. comparing a consumer based shock like the typical works shocks against the likes of elka and pep and axis is absurd. works consumer based shocks are designed for the masses, not the custom set-up race shocks designed by other manufactures. i love my elkas, but the shock i tested yesterday out performed it. and yes i have ridin on just about every shock made. am i a sales man for works? not at all, i just was extremely satisfied with the shock i was able to help test. i think its a shame that people compare apples and oranges within our sport. i realize your opinions are important to you, and i appreciate your input, just remember some things arent as they seem and just because a company may not be #1 doesnt mean they are junk. as i understand it, this will be a possible high end shock available from works in the near future, and if it preforms as well when testing is complete, you can bet i will have one on my quad. form follows function;)

Dave400ex
11-10-2002, 08:27 PM
So since we know the brand can you say what is so special about this Shock?

11-10-2002, 08:30 PM
im certain i described the benefits, and a few details, but i am not at liberty to discuss much more then that at this time....sorry:(

Dave400ex
11-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Well it was worth a try. Does Works offer any kind of Long Travel front shocks?

11-11-2002, 03:05 PM
i dont belive so, but someone may know and tell ya different. my friend uses pro series works fronts and they seem ok.

Dave400ex
11-11-2002, 03:18 PM
Man I hope I can get some Sponsors like your friend has some day. It would be nice just to get parts at dealer cost.

11-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Well it was worth a try. Does Works offer any kind of Long Travel front shocks?

They do but you have to order them special,,they pretty much have to build them for you.. I know the quadshop can make works steelers into SSD for a reasonable price..:D

Well be doing a test setup SSD on my rear shock soon..:D

11-11-2002, 08:01 PM
i just was extremely satisfied with the shock i was able to help test. i think its a shame that people compare apples and oranges within our sport.

Well I think you can blame the shock manufacturers for that one. They all seem to be happy when we have our heads in the sand :grr

What I am saying (and have said b4) is that you can not effectivly compare shocks without going out and buying them. I had even tried this with some used ones but the dealers dont seem to be excited about used sales enough to send them out.

So at least someone (ok Houser, Elka, Axisand others have been working on this also) sees the potential on solving the rear swing problems on quads wooo hooo

11-11-2002, 08:21 PM
well , its like tires. you can only go off advertisments or maybe some one will tell ya thier expeirences on a certain brand etc.

my personal feeling is this.......way to many people buy shocks....have them set up from where they bought them.....and leave them just like that. they never take the time to adjust the shock to suit their needs. now im not talkin joe racer here ....only refering to the fella who occasionally hits a good size jump or travels across some seriously ruff terrain at speed. if they said ...i only trail ride....or race a little mx maybe there shocks will be set up too soft or vice virsa. then when they dont preform they blame the shock company....whoever it is.

ive seen people cream over thier new shocks...only to develop riding skills and soon ride past the settings of the shock...or the capabilties of the shock they are using. then its the shock companies fault....total junk?

heck....apply that to axles also.....ya ride and go big for an entire season....then the axle snaps....oh now its a p.o.s.? did ya forget to mention the quad flipped 10 times at 60 mph?

sorry this is to noone in particulair....just those that dont take ALL the factors into consideration.

11-11-2002, 09:29 PM
I understand you completely and agree on most of what you said, but even if you set up suspension as good or better than one of the pro's wrenches you still have zip zero or zilch to go on when trying to compare them till you install a set on your machine.

I had tried to take a few rides on some peoples machines with diff shcok set ups and you could tell that all were deff better than stock but unless they were set up right in the first place and the rider is of simialiar weight and ability etc you didnt get much more info from riding it.

Plus the most missed thing on my elkas is the high and low speed adjustments. having both insted of one would be a real "extra" especially when moving to much tougher terrain or mx type riding etc.

BTW all the mfg's stuff for atv's stink otherwise it would have been there from the dealer when you picked it up same as if you purchased a yz or cr instead of an ex or cannibal. Sure you could add some stuff but its so close out of the box compared to the quads that its sickening.

Well just my humble opinion again :rolleyes:

lil400exman
11-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
We carry Ohlins, Elka, Works, Axis, TCS, PEP, White Power, Progressive.......did I miss any?

progreesive you only hear abou them in utility quads...

cdalejef
11-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman

progreesive you only hear abou them in utility quads... sport quads too!

08-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i cant say what brand it was, but it was sent for evaluation to a sponcered racer friend of mine. i helped install it and we did a comparison of sag , ride height etc.

i noticed the top spring was much heavier then the elka it was replacing for the test. a 650 pound spring i believe. the lower spring was a 450 pound with a different stop at the bottom. it was softer then a comparable stop.

when we did the measurements it had 1 1/4 inches less sag and had the same ride height as the comparable shock. the ride on rutted terrain and studder bumps was very smooth and controlable. we didnt adjust anything, although we both agreed it had a lil too much rebound.

all in all i thought this shock performed better then my elka rear. i hope this shock continues to preform well and will be made available to the public. if and when i am allowed to tell the manufactures name i will, and lets just say some will be very very surprised. we tested for an hour between us on a gncc practice course and it sucked up everything we thru at it. from what i understand this will be a shock designed for gncc racing but we did hit a few 30 footers and it did fine.

Can you tell us what kind of shock it is now?

Pappy
08-29-2003, 04:08 PM
it was a shock tested for works performance. i wish it would have worked on my 400:( just goes to show what they are capable of once you get past there entry level suspension

08-29-2003, 04:13 PM
it was a shock tested for works performance. i wish it would have worked on my 400:( just goes to show what they are capable of once you get past there entry level suspension

could you give us more info now? Why did they stop research?

Pappy
08-29-2003, 04:15 PM
as far as i know this is now thier pro series rear....or the improvements made it into the pro series rear.

i since have had the oppertunity to ride more works pro series shocks and find them to be a damn good shock.

but after having derisi work my pep's i wont be changing anytime soon. i have a new set of pep's here that are limited mass and they will get the full treatment after some seat time:)

08-29-2003, 04:18 PM
but after having derisi work my pep's i wont be changing anytime soon. i have a new set of pep's here that are limited mass and they will get the full treatment after some seat time:)

:devil:

Ralph
08-29-2003, 04:19 PM
i knew it was the works,,, i rode a set of works like that that belonged to todd fineto,,, he is much bigger than me so they were pretty stiff but they still felt pretty good...

Bad Habit
08-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Since this thread is now on the subject of Works, what are some of your opinions on the front steelers w/rez?

Here's my situation; I ride 80% dunes, 20% trail(xc), 0% mx. I was leaning very hard towards Elka as the opinions here seem to support them strongly. I run +2 arms with the stock shocks and they actually do ok for the dunes. I don't get real big air, but hitting a long section of whoops in fourth gear can get a little, well, interesting.:eek: But will I really need the performance (and cost) of Elkas? Or will the steelers handle my riding conditions fine? I don't get hung up on having to have a certain name on a part on my quad. If something works it can say "turd" on it for all I care.:D

All opinions are welcome.

luvmyex
08-30-2003, 01:10 AM
Yellow416 the works are a big improvement over stock.I have the steelers and liked them alot.But,i rode a freinds that had DeRisi shocks (works bodies i think)on there and what a differance.I hit a jump and it got me sideways in the air.I thought this is gonna hurt,but to my suprize it landed very softly. My works are now at Derisi's getting the pro millineum rebuild.They should be so much better when i get them back.