PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Banshee on the way(how to treat it )?

660r2a400ex
12-05-2007, 11:11 AM
brand new 06 stock being shipped to me, what fuel should i run, how to break it in, what premix oil, what mix ratio, plugs, filters, maintence etc ? friends have piped, pistons and cammed 450s, will i run with them?

firefighterjosh
12-05-2007, 11:56 PM
what fuel should i run - Premium 92 octane or above

how to break it in - Lots of diffrent ways, for a brand new machine the best way is to trail ride. Just use all kinda of RPMs, try not to lug it too much and try not to hold it wide open. Be sure to let it warm up good and try to keep from shutting it off every 5 mins. I say do this for atleast 2 tanks.

what premix oil, - Yamalube premix is what I used, and you can get it at the dealership.

what mix ratio- 32:1 is a safe and not too rich ratio to use. I would consider getting a ratio cup as well. works great. (also be bought at a dealer)

plugs, - Regular stock NGKs will work good.

filters - Stock will be fine but I suggest getting a pro design set-up in the near future.

maintence - Just the normal matenice. But on a 2 stroke you have no rev limiter so be careful for how long you keep it wide open. Make sure you always check you radiator fluid, gear box fluid and pre mix ratio.

friends have piped, pistons and cammed 450s, will i run with them? - No with a stock banshee your going to get smoked. Put some pipes on yourr shee and you will be very very close to them. Put piston, adj timing plate, reeds, port job, you will be king.

Hope this helps

660r2a400ex
12-06-2007, 06:05 AM
lots of help, thanks, i've been on thumpers for 12 years, i'm i going to like this thing ?

bloodmoney23
12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
you will love it, you may get sick of it after a while but youll love it. and with what oil to use....the yamalube is great but try to find a good bean oil. Bean oil does not seperate from the fuel ever unlike normal oil. Plus it is a cleaner oil. So im guessing you got rid of the z400? Anyway, with an air filter kit and pipes you will beat 450's no matter what in topend.

660r2a400ex
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
no i still have the Z

RagunCajun
12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
There's tons of methods to break in engines. When i did is i did a few heat cycles, a few runs in low rpms. Then i beat the hell out of it. It takes heat for the rings to seat.

For oil, run what your local shop carrys. Everyone has their favorites.

Go register on everything2stroke.com's forums. Great place.

A very important thing to remember is hide you credit card. It's way too fun to fix up the shee. They are VERY cheap to make quick vs the 4 strokes out there. Simple bolt ons make a HUGE difference way more than the same on 4 strokes because the banshee is a factory corked up 2 stroke from the factory from the 80s so to speak.

You wont get tired of it. Just dont ride it for a week. Youll jump on it and the powerband will have you smiling in no time.

Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Put piston, adj timing plate, reeds, port job, you will be king.
banshees come with pistons already. What do you mean?

As for the running with them, as he said you will get smoked. As i said, they are slow in stock form. It takes pipes filter etc to run closer to them.

Remeber this well, bolt on for bolt on, 450s are faster than banshees. You go beyond bolt ons, the banshee starts to really shine. For example a ported shee with supporting mods will be no match for a piped cammed yadda yadda 450. I know, i have a ported shee.:eek2:

bloodmoney23
12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by RagunCajun
banshees come with pistons already. What do you mean?

I think he means aftermarket i.e. wiseco or je high compression pistons. That would be my guess.

Hondamaster5505
12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by RagunCajun
Remeber this well, bolt on for bolt on, 450s are faster than banshees. You go beyond bolt ons, the banshee starts to really shine. For example a ported shee with supporting mods will be no match for a piped cammed yadda yadda 450. I know, i have a ported shee.:eek2:

I have to diagree with this. My dad has a banshee and his friend has a yfz. These are the bolt on mods:

Banshee:
FMF Fatty pipes w/ powercore 2 silencers
Weisco prolite pistons
Shaved head
Boost bottle
reeds
NO porting
Stock filter w/ airbox lid

YFZ:
HMF Full exhaust
Filter
Cam mod

When i rode the yfz to compare it, i thought the banshee was isanely more fun and a lot faster. They both raced also (guy on yfz lighter, equal skills) and once the shee got into 2nd gear he blew past the yfz/

Although i give the YFZ alot of credit, i was impressed for a little 450cc:eek2:

bloodmoney23
12-07-2007, 05:26 PM
[i]Although i give the YFZ alot of credit, i was impressed for a little 450cc:eek2: [/B]

Not bein a smartass, but you say "little 450cc" and a banshee is only "350cc" which is a little 100cc bit smaller. Anyway, if you plan on racing mx with a banshee, gear it as low as you can for more bottom end. Top speed does nothing for you on a mx track. But as well as statement above. for being 100cc smaller, as a owner of a 450r and a banshee.....the 450r has yet to beat the banshee. But they have yet to race since i did piston, cam, exhaust and filter on 450. If we do trade and 450 aint ripped apart we can do a drag down my street.

Hondamaster5505
12-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
Not bein a smartass, but you say "little 450cc" and a banshee is only "350cc" which is a little 100cc bit smaller. Anyway, if you plan on racing mx with a banshee, gear it as low as you can for more bottom end. Top speed does nothing for you on a mx track. But as well as statement above. for being 100cc smaller, as a owner of a 450r and a banshee.....the 450r has yet to beat the banshee. But they have yet to race since i did piston, cam, exhaust and filter on 450. If we do trade and 450 aint ripped apart we can do a drag down my street.

By "little" im going by general 4-strokes.

350cc isnt really small for a 2-stroke, but as far as 4-strokes go 450 aint that big.

Like if you compare them to the 660 raptors and even 700 raptors, its amazing how much power these 450's have compared to them, but thats technology for ya!

660r2a400ex
12-08-2007, 06:20 AM
is this starting to become a bashfall thread ?!? hey guys, all this is very helpful but remember what we do is a sport, every quad is equal there all fun, dont bash an individual quad