PDA

View Full Version : piston question

fultz416ex
12-05-2007, 12:11 AM
i have a 01 400ex that i am thinking of rebuilding the motor in. i have an old wiseco 10.1 std. bore piston out of my old 400 that was only in for about 6 months. my question is can i reuse the piston if hone my cylinder out and buy new rings for the piston? thanks
travis

GPracer2500
12-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Maybe. Probably. It depends on how much wear is on the piston and the cylinder you want to put it in. I would probably take the piston and the cylinder to a machine shop and have both of them measured. Or do it yourself if you have the tools and know-how. Shouldn't cost much at a machine shop though. That will tell you if they can be used together or if wear on one or the other will result in an excessive clearance. If they'll work together, use new rings for sure.

fultz416ex
12-09-2007, 11:36 AM
thanks. i was looking at the piston today. and the wristpin was hard to get through the piston. should it slide easy or should it be tough to get through piston?
travis

GPracer2500
12-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I've had ones that needed pounding out and ones that slid right out. But in every case I was replacing the pin and piston anyway so I never investigated the ones that were hard to get out.

Probably it's fine [shrug] if the piston pin, piston's pin hole, and con rod small end all appear in good shape. Also, there is a service limit spec for the piston pin OD and pin-to-piston clearance. You'll find those specs in a service manual.

fultz416ex
12-09-2007, 08:59 PM
thanks