PDA

View Full Version : engine swap

400exBRAAP
12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
how hard is it to put a 450r engine in a 400ex frame? i know and understand putting a radiator on and stuff, but what else is there to it? im debating on whether this is what i want to do, or make my my 400 engine a 416.

00.400ex#55
12-04-2007, 09:11 PM
no idea, all i can say is a cr500 conversion is actualy not that hard. rear swing arm mount lins up perfect for the chain. i used all the bolts from the 400ex motor mounts, and the rest of the mounts were easy to make. endless power. well.. untill i blew the motor:rolleyes:

whatever you do, just take your time. and weld em in good.

bansheemorphine
12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
The sawp has more to it then you think the carb points directly at the rear shock mount once it's in there, there is a complete how to on here somewhere, do a search, if you can't find it i have the link on my computer at home i'll post it later today

440challenger
12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
depends if your using a trx or a crf 450 motor.

i did the trx 450 conversion myself in 2 nights. used the trx450r motor mounts, the rad and the oil cooler.

You need to weld up all new motor mounts,rad and oil cooler mounts. the TRX needs no carb/frame mods but the crf does.

You will need to gusset your frame. hog out your 400ex intake boot,remount coil. Quite a bit of stuff but its easy if you can weld/fabricate.

400exBRAAP
12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
depends if your using a trx or a crf 450 motor.

i did the trx 450 conversion myself in 2 nights. used the trx450r motor mounts, the rad and the oil cooler.

You need to weld up all new motor mounts,rad and oil cooler mounts. the TRX needs no carb/frame mods but the crf does.

You will need to gusset your frame. hog out your 400ex intake boot,remount coil. Quite a bit of stuff but its easy if you can weld/fabricate.

your wheeler is what kinda sparked this interest in me. all we have is a big arc welder here on our farm, but its a possibility i can find someone who has a smaller one. i can fabricate stuff, but welding is a different story, but i think my dad can help with that. did this build cost you an arm and a leg? or was it somewhat resonable in price?