PDA

View Full Version : Words of Wisdom Please

gncc025
12-04-2007, 05:25 PM
well i need some serious help about a job decision. id appreciate some advice on what to do. here it goes.

ive gotten a two year degree in tool and die and work at caterpillar as a temp for 8.50 an hour BUT theres a good chance but not guaranteed that ill be hired on full time within the next 2 or 3 months and make double that. its close to home, like 25 to 30 miles. ive gotten to where i like it there and really want to stay.

then just the other day i got a call from a place in memphis,tn willing to hire me fulltime for about 20 an hour with raises after time. thing is i dont like memphis and its 65 miles one way to get there, and i dont want to relocate.

looks like a pretty easy decision but its not trust me. theres so many things to think about. i just would like to hear what some of you would do. ive got 2 days to decide.

ill appreciate any responses

12-04-2007, 06:03 PM
judging by the few details you have provided I would say stay. If you can take the chance of not getting the job. I have worked in a few different places and if you hate it after a while the extra money doesn't make up for it.

honduh440
12-04-2007, 06:13 PM
20 a hour plus options of it increasing and a company willing to take you up ...... seriously 65 miles isnt far now i wouldnt drive it everyday either but moving their isnt bad not like you will miss your friends or family for 5 months ... again 25 a hour is a very good income to make a career on

Bradracer18
12-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I would stay....

Personally, I would go and present my case/options with the person who is above you(or who would be hiring you on full time). And tell them that you want to stay, but need that extra money and to be hired on full time.

Personally, from an engineering students perspective, cat is a very good place to want to work....they expect high standards and only want the best working for them.

bwamos
12-05-2007, 06:35 AM
How's your relationship with your boss?

You could always put the chips on the table with the guy your currently working for. Not in a threatening manner. Purely inqusistive.

Simply ask him what your chances of being hired on full time are. You have an offer for another job out side of town at a significant pay increase. But, if he has intentions of hiring you full time, you'd prefer to stay and work for him. This is your first pick.

Worst case, he tells you he's not gonna hire you on full time, and you have your answer. Best case he's let you know he has intentions of hiring you. You've built a foundation of honest communication, and he knows you are honest and loyal, but not so loyal that he can give you crappy raises. ;)

hardtrailz400
12-05-2007, 06:50 AM
I just finished my first snow commute. I drive 135 miles round trip everyday and have been for 9 months. I am glad I am doing for now. I get awesome benefits in comparison to where I live. The work there is factories or low paying. I decided that I would take this job and at least keep it two years to pad my resume and see if I liked commuting or not. I dont mind the commute, I did get myself a 97 6 speed trans am so I get 25 mpg and enjoy what I drive. I dont make as much as I think I should but I work for the state govt and get holidays and benefits that have helped out a bunch.

I considered moving closer, but even with gas prices, it is cheaper to commute, plus I can get home and jump on the quad every night. If I moved to Indy I would have to find a storage place and a place to ride and trailer every time I wanted to ride.

I say take the job, do the commute, and stay where you want to live. You can always move a little closer later on if the job is one you will keep the rest of your life. Just figure on trying it for a year and if you dont like it, start sending resumes and trying to find a new job.

You don't have much to loose since you are part-time now. You might find that the new place leads to even better jobs in the future. Just be sure to leave the current job on good terms.

Good Luck

54warrior
12-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Commuting sucks. I drove 65 miles one way to work for 14 months. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Even if the job had paid more, it still would have sucked. The job sucked too, so that didn't make things any better. With no signs of fuel prices ever decreasing, I don't think you want to commute 65 miles one way. I spent over $700 in one month just on gas to get to work!!! That was with a car getting 28mpg. That was 2 years ago even.

What did I do? Got on Monster, found two jobs, and I was offered both. One was 30 mins from home, the other was 250 miles from home. Tough decision, they were both basically the same job, and both seemed like good places to work. The job that was 250 miles away offered me better benefits and an extra $11k per year!!! That made the decision much easier.

I moved about a year ago, love my new job, the area's ok, but it's not 'home'. I miss the family/friends and also miss my quad (had to leave it there, nowhere to ride or store it here).

My suggestion, explain the situation with your current boss. If they do in fact really want to keep you, they will make things right with you, right now, for fear of loosing a good employee.

Good Luck.

gncc025
12-05-2007, 04:58 PM
thanks a lot to all of those that replied. i think im going to talk to my boss about it tomorrow and see what he says. hopefully he can get me on full time, but if not so long Caterpillar. ill let yall know what happens

THANKS AGAIN!

Crashmore 22
12-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by gncc025
thanks a lot to all of those that replied. i think im going to talk to my boss about it tomorrow and see what he says. hopefully he can get me on full time, but if not so long Caterpillar. ill let yall know what happens

THANKS AGAIN!

You didn't by chance work in Booneville did you? 2nd shift?

gncc025
12-14-2007, 04:10 AM
nah i went to school in booneville though at nemcc. took tool and die. u go to school there?

Crashmore 22
12-14-2007, 11:10 PM
I go to Ole Miss. My dad is a supervisor at Cat. He was telling me the other day about a temp that just up and quit. It sounded very similiar to your story. Good luck with the new job.

user101
12-14-2007, 11:21 PM
gncc025, as one of your best friends and riding buddy, as you have heard this many times before, i think you should go to Smith & Nephew.

Scott-300ex
12-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeh, I'd go to your boss and be like "I got an offer down here for full time and $20 an hour, can you match that?" Try to get him to throw you on full time and make close to that amount of $$$$$$$$$ And if you can get benifits, make sure you can get those whereever you work.

And if you love your job STAY!!!!!!! Thats the hardest thing for all of us to find if you love it, don't leave.

bens250ex
12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
i live about ten mins from memphis in olive branch, ms . are you thinkin about moving up here if you take the job? well the area im located is nice if you do take the job you could move up around here. but you just got to make sure you do what will make you happy. make the decision for yourself. what will make you happy is what you should do.

bens250ex
12-15-2007, 05:21 PM
i just saw that the place you were thinkin about switchin to up in memphis, that place isn't far from me at all just accross the state line. i also have a friend who works there and seems to be rollin in the dough for part time.. also off topic but were do ya'll ride?

gncc025
12-16-2007, 12:27 AM
well i decided to stay. might be a mistake but i figured id take my chances with a job i like. it wont be the end of the world if i dont get hired. plenty other good places to work. thanks again for the advice guys

bens250ex i live right on the benton tippah line, close to walnut. we got plenty of places to ride. i dont know how familiar you are with the area but we do a lot of riding near the fire tower on hwy 72.