PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP with truck asap it died

enduro400rider
12-03-2007, 08:35 PM
well i was on my way to work in my 96 ZR2 s10 and as i was going down the road, i look at my speedo and it kept maxing out, the needle would jump all the way to the stop and jump down to the real speed (35 mph) the tach was doing the same. then it started sputtering and almost dieing. i got it over to the side and it died completely. i put it in park and start it back up, it ran for about 5 seconds and died. then wouldnt start at all. it cranks, but doesnt start. im completely lost on what it could be. i thought it might be the fuel pump (i hear these truck have fuel pump problems) but would that cause the guages to freak out? any help at all would be great, its snowy and icey and i have to get around to school and work tommarow and i really dont want to pull the camaro out in this.

cdrookie
12-04-2007, 06:47 AM
you need to start troubleshooting. check your grounds first, then see if it's getting gas, spark, check the relays, etc...

Badmammajamma
12-04-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't know a whole lot about Chevy's but on a Ford, when the gauges sweep like yours are doing, it means a battery/alternator issue. Doesn't sound like thats your problem though. Hrmm.....

Toadz400
12-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Ask this question on www.s10forum.com/forum . You'll probably be able to get a better response a lot quicker. That's where I get all my info and help from for my Sonoma.

cbrooks118
12-04-2007, 12:17 PM
my wife had a 97 chevy malibu, and when the altenator was going out the gauges did that becasue the electrical system wasnt getting enought juice

CDCHONDAS
12-04-2007, 01:02 PM
thats what I was thinking, but if the alternator was crapping out I am surprised that it was able to start again.

elite ATV1
12-04-2007, 01:18 PM
like stated above, i have had the same problem in the past. it was happening b/c my alt belt was stretched out an it was time for a new one..so check your belts.

mittman
12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
should of got a dodge J/k but i'm going to say its the alternator

CDCHONDAS
12-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by mittman
should of got a dodge J/k but i'm going to say its the alternator

lets not get started on that

chris46250r
12-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Sounds like alternator problems to me. The reason for starting back is the battery had just enough to start it but not run everything else once started.

BSTURDIVANT
12-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Gonna say batt. or alt., but if u wish to check the fuel pump go under the truck and smack the fuel tank. Then fire it up. If it runs for a while its the pump, if not.....you have another problem. Just some advice.

speedjunkie13
12-05-2007, 06:55 AM
If your truck is still cranking but not starting it is not the battery and most likely not the alternator either.

Check the basics first:
does it have spark at the plugs.
check your fuel pressure just to be sure (although i really don't think that is it)
narrow it down from there depending on what you find.

To me it sounds like an electrical issue of some sort, possibly a ground with a poor contact or loose, or maybe a module died.

good luck, and let us know what you find.

KXRida
12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Badmammajamma
I don't know a whole lot about Chevy's but on a Ford, when the gauges sweep like yours are doing, it means a battery/alternator issue. Doesn't sound like thats your problem though. Hrmm.....

yah you beat me too it. Same thing happened in my ranger.

Sounds like something electrical, but I'm kinda stumped on it cranking but not firing. Are all your relay's working? Check your starter relay. Just an idea. If it has a coil, not sure if you have a coil or coil packs, not a chevy guy, but make sure your wire is connected.

Toadz400
12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
yah you beat me too it. Same thing happened in my ranger.

Sounds like something electrical, but I'm kinda stumped on it cranking but not firing. Are all your relay's working? Check your starter relay. Just an idea. If it has a coil, not sure if you have a coil or coil packs, not a chevy guy, but make sure your wire is connected.

If it's cranking but not firing isn't that also a sign of the alternator going bad?

I would get the alternator checked out just in case.

wilkin250r
12-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
If it's cranking but not firing isn't that also a sign of the alternator going bad?

Not really.

When the alternator goes bad, the car will pull electricity from the battery until the battery goes dead. Once the battery dies, the car dies.

Usually people find out their alternators are dead because their car won't start. They get a jumpstart (which puts a little juice on the battery), and then drive away, only to die again 10 minutes later when the battery dies.

If he has enough juice to crank, then he should have enough juice to run. Which means if it's NOT running, then the problem isn't the battery or alternator.