PDA

View Full Version : Battery help.. another one dead..

Flyin-Low
12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Well, I killed another one.. I left the key on last time I put it away and even though I have no neutral light or anything, and the lights were off.. It completely drained the battery in a week, and it won't take even the smallest charge.

Now who makes a REALLY good quality battery, like the more expensive car or truck ones, that's small enough for a quad?

-Martin

BTW.. this is the third battery I've put in my 06 450er, the stock one just got old and decided to not hold much charge, then I bought two cheap ones from Royal Distributing and they haven't lasted more than a few months.

m36indiana
12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
ive heard a battery from a hyabusa will fit, more cranking power

bwamos
12-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Now who makes a REALLY good quality battery, like the more expensive car or truck ones, that's small enough for a quad?

Why buy a super expensive one if you're (or they are) just gonna kill it again? No Lead Acid battery takes well to being drained.

The reason it drains with the lights etc.. all off, is because the CDI draws power whether the engine is running or not.

I get the Walmart ones because they are actually warrantied, and they will usually replace it if it won't hold a charge. Most ATV batteries are not warrantied (for this reason).

dirtdog400ex
12-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Yea hes right this is a user error problem not a battery problem. It will drain even if you have everything off. Ive made that mistake twice.

TRX450RACER174
12-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy a battery tender, i am on the original battery in my 06 purchased in Oct of 05 no problems at all, batteries can develop a memory if you constantly let them go dead and have to recharge them, p/s these batteries require a low charge.

pro-rider46
12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
i have heard of cbr 600 batteries a common mod on the yfzs

wilkin250r
12-04-2007, 06:50 PM
If you leave a lead-acid battery in an uncharged-state, it will kill the battery. It causes sulfer to build up on the plates. However, it generally takes longer than a week.

Often, battery chargers will not charge if the battery is too low, especially if they are high-tech chargers with multiple stages and built-in floaters. Often, if you can get a small initial charge on the battery, the charger will work.

YFZ450Ridr
12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i have heard of cbr 600 batteries a common mod on the yfzs

yepp, i had one in mine a while back but i too left my key on for a few days:o now i have a battery that i bought off of ebay, its just a general battery but is oversized from what stock is. give it a look, im really happy with it!