PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 250: watch out 300ex!

Hondamaster5505
12-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Dirtwheels recently did a shootout between the raptor 250 and 300ex.

The raptor 250 kicked it's a**

They even said the motor felt quicked in a sense, and alot peppier.

In handling the 250 dominated

Its funny how the raptor 350 loses to the 300ex, but then the raptor 250 comes around and kicks its a** ????

TRX-330
12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
dont bring this bull **** into the 300ex forum. BTW honda is the best!

Hondamaster5505
12-03-2007, 08:22 PM
i only bring it in here because there isnt a raptor 250 forum yet

Yamahas my favorite, but dont get me wrong, honda is my second favorite.

But you have to admit, the 300ex is kinda out dated, known and trusted, but outdated

honda300EXtreme
12-04-2007, 03:38 PM
outdated?

what is yamaha using on the raptor 250 that uses newer technology compared to the 300?

as far as im concerned the 250 only seems to be better because the yamaha is lighter , making it more nimble and having a bit more snap.

granted the 300 in stock form is far from ideal but few quads are

Hondamaster5505
12-04-2007, 03:54 PM
well the handling is far superior to the 300ex also, except for pure trails where they said the 300ex is better

klutch
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
No point in talking crap about the 300ex... especially if you are the only one defending a Yamaha.... I've never liked Raptors and i never will, i'm sure both the Raptor 250 and the 300ex both mx ready without engine mods, the Raptor would most likely not have a chance, the 300ex is one of the most trusted bikes out there thats why its still being sold today.

Hondamaster5505
12-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by klutch
No point in talking crap about the 300ex... especially if you are the only one defending a Yamaha.... I've never liked Raptors and i never will, i'm sure both the Raptor 250 and the 300ex both mx ready without engine mods, the Raptor would most likely not have a chance, the 300ex is one of the most trusted bikes out there thats why its still being sold today.

Guys, i like 300ex's, and im not saying they're bad bikes, but both mx ready its the rider that chooses who wins, not the bike.

I hated raptors also, the 660's suck, but when they came out with the 700 and 250 i changed my feeling about them.

CHILL:D

honda300EXtreme
12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
other than handling and weight, what does the raptor have that the 300 doesnt?

what does it have that outdates the 300
true the suspension/geometry is better in stock form, honda never had excelled in stock suspension,

the raptor is extremely small and it apprears to be tippy,
now im about 6 ft and couldnt imagine riding a raptor 250 in stock form...

im not trying to be a dick i just like a good friendly debate

JIMFROMTEXCO
12-04-2007, 04:48 PM
WHY WOULD YOU POST THAT IN THIS FORUM, and not expect people to flame you? the raptor has a 2 valve head. imo the 300ex engine is more high tech. dirtwheels isnt accurate. im sure the raptor 250 is a nice quad tho. you have to rember the 300ex/250x has been around since 87 wining every small bore shoot out since then aswell. maybe now honda will upgrade or replace the 300?

Hondamaster5505
12-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Guys seriously, im a honda fan also.

But ive always been a bigger yamaha fan.

And dirtwheels has been around for years and i think they are very accurate.

Its also a fact honda sales have been decreasing slowly.

Hopefully Honda will upgrade the 300ex to liquid cooling lighter weight and better handling, than yamaha would be forced to upgrade.

Chillax people:D

honda300EXtreme
12-04-2007, 05:10 PM
dirt wheels and accurate are 2 words that should never go together,

dirt wheels is so biased (yamaha)

klutch
12-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
dirt wheels and accurate are 2 words that should never go together,

dirt wheels is so biased (yamaha)

I couldn't agree more.

mx1791
12-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

And dirtwheels has been around for years and i think they are very accurate.

LMFAO!!!!! wow.

Hondamaster5505
12-05-2007, 01:41 PM
well, i guess i will admit, they are a LITTLE biased towards yamaha, but they still give good information about the atv's.

klutch
12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
well, i guess i will admit, they are a LITTLE biased towards yamaha, but they still give good information about the atv's.

They have good info about the atvs like specs and such... but in the shoot outs and other stuff its all normally biased and but the specs are normally true.

12-06-2007, 01:19 PM

But you have to admit, the 300ex is kinda out dated, known and trusted, but outdated

I agree that the 300ex is a little outdated, but honda is the best!!!!!!

12-06-2007, 01:20 PM
And did you guys ever realize how much dirtwheels sucks yamahas D%^&!?!. Yamaha wins everything in there. I dont even bother reading their crap anymore.

honda8&3
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Dirtwheels always says good stuff about Yamaha. IMO Dirtwheels reviews are pothetic. There are way better magazines out there and Dirtwheels 'aint one of them. I am impressed with the 250 raptor but I will always love 300ex and 250x.:)

honda8&3
12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
[B]

Hopefully Honda will upgrade the 300ex to liquid cooling lighter weight and better handling, than yamaha would be forced to upgrade.

That would be one of the worst things to happen to the 300ex. Liquid cooling is alright an' all but that's just one thing to break IMO. The motor is fine the way it is because it isn't meant to be race ready out of the box. It's an "entry level" quad unless you want to build it up, that's what aftermarket is for IMO. Maybe a little bit lighter would be nice though. That would help the handling which isn't too bad in stock form. Maybe some suspension mods.

bwamos
12-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Keep the motor.

Increase compression to 10.5:1
Install backup kickstart.

Trash the frame and suspension. Replace with frame/gemoetry similar to the 400ex. Aka.. round tube frame w/ interchangable suspension parts. Lower production costs on suspension components.. better quad.

Would be lighter to boot.

Could have a higher dollar racer package w/ 450R style shocks, oil cooler, and HRC Options.

honda8&3
12-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Keep the motor.

Trash the frame and suspension. Replace with frame/gemoetry similar to the 400ex. Aka.. round tube frame w/ interchangable suspension parts. Lower production costs on suspension components.. better quad.

Could have a higher dollar racer package w/ 450R style shocks, oil cooler, and HRC Options.

Pretty cool ideas IMO. I love having a Kick Start! So much more reliable. I would rather sacrifice energy and effort for reliability! And a little bit of compression increase for more power and peppier revs:cool:

klutch
12-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Keep the motor.

I love your ideas... send em into Honda lol maybe they will consider them....

450rJam
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
dirt wheels just flat out lies

I have an issue that states

"the yfz will gain 15hp with just a slip on exhaust"

yamaha makes some good stuff and they dont need d.w. to suck start their business

more people ride than race, you go buy that 250 rappy and post back in 5 years and let us know how it has been

as for the 300ex, it has stood the test of time with a bullet proof motor that can stand up to years of abuse

exman
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
1. dirt wheels is no way shape or form going to let a 15 year old quad out do a brand new quad that compares,,,they may give alittle,,but yes they are going to go with newer quad,,,especailly since it is big name yamaha.

2. the yamaha 250 is lighter and smaller,,,,and should be able to jump out and manuever easier.....just like the blaster,,stock for stock on the 300ex.

3. BUT when the mods start rolling,,,the 300ex pulls way way out front....you drop a full TC race pac in a 300ex (bottom end to TC shorty) and of course suspension,,,,and then the 300ex dominates,,,,and has been dominating youth production classes,

bwamos
12-07-2007, 06:34 AM
I dunno.. I haven't seen any "modified" raptor 250's yet for that comparison. Modified 300ex vs stock 250 raptor.. of course the 300ex will win. But mod for mod? I dunno.. think it will still be a blaster vs. 300ex situation. But, now the blaster has better geometry.. ;)

I beleive if you get some wider a-arms, shocks, and some standard engine upgrades (cam, porting, intake, exhaust) the raptor 250 would tear up an MX course. XC it should still be pretty even. But, the Raptor 250 rider is probably gonna be a lot less tired on lap 3.

I love the 300ex dearly.. but IMHO Honda is gonna have to step it up soon w/ something other than "bold new graphics" or "race inspired plastics" or someone else will.

JIMFROMTEXCO
12-07-2007, 09:07 AM
it would be nice if it were in a 400 frame with a shorter swinger and the 300's suspension and axel and such just basicly a down scaled 400.

Hondamaster5505
12-07-2007, 01:49 PM
And also, a comment to the magazines,

You guys are saying that Dirtwheels is biased towards yamaha, but didnt the raptor 350 lose to the 300ex in dirtwheels?

And in every other atv magazine ive read, the yamaha usually ends up winning??

I doubt they are all biased toward yamaha.

Whos to say that yamaha just isnt a slightly better brand?

I mean even yamaha is already updating the shocks on the already good handling yfz450, whats honda doing other than changing the tank cover?

seriously, just because yamahas may be better, hondas are real close behind. They just have to step it up a bit.

JIMFROMTEXCO
12-07-2007, 02:07 PM
if your refering to atv action now they are both made by hi-tourque publishing. and basiclly the raptor/ warrior 350 is a complete dog imo compared to the 300. honda dosn't update because there stuff sells no matter what.

rotor1
12-17-2007, 08:53 AM
I have a 87 and a 91 250x... I love them!! I used to have a Blaster and always wanted a Honda, so I got 2.
The Raptor250 looks like a good quad but there really is no reason they couldnt include reverse gear. its 'basically' a 4stroke Blaster with an electric start and new plastic...
i will give it to Yamaha... on their website, some of the accessories for the 250 Raptor are pretty sweet!

12-17-2007, 03:51 PM

The newer 300ex plastics make it look awesome, it looks like a smaller 450r. I much rather have a 300ex any day over a CRAPtor 250. And the 300ex deffinately has way more balls than yamahas little old blaster replacement.

Hondamaster5505
12-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
The newer 300ex plastics make it look awesome, it looks like a smaller 450r. I much rather have a 300ex any day over a CRAPtor 250. And the 300ex deffinately has way more balls than yamahas little old blaster replacement.

Yeah, the new plastics do look pretty cool, but make it look kinda smaller?? its prob. just me.

The 300 may have more balls, but they said the raptors power was a little snappier.

The blaster i know has more balls than the 250.

That lil thing was impressive. I was originally gonna put a 240 on it, but decided to get the 400

12-17-2007, 07:35 PM
when you think of it though the blaster is quicker cause 1 its super light, my friend and I lifted it to our waist and it wasnt that hard and i'm not super strong or anything and we walked around for fun. Also its a 195cc 2 stroke i believe and the 250ex is a 229cc 4 stroke. Blaster does have way more balls but with 250ex mods and same tire sizes they are almost even.

Hondamaster5505
12-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, i miss my blassie :(

It was such a great bike to me, and held its own if not more against my dads old warrior.

beg2007
12-19-2007, 08:39 AM
First off I agree that this type of info is for the Yamaha guys, this is strictly a HONDA THREAD! Also my dad has a Grizzly 660 and nothing but problem after problem, my friend just bought 2 Grizzly 700 FI's and both have been in the shop for same type of problems (backfiring and being made CRAPPY) Yamaha isn't the best bike out there by far. There is a reason why almost any contractor out there would buy a HONDA generator over anything else....There is also a reason why when Indians come to this country the first car they buy is hmmmmm...a HONDA (trust me I work in technology and all we have is Indian consultants) The cars go for 300K miles+....I bought a 300ex not too long ago after having a Warrior and a Blaster both **** the bed on me and my sons.......Also I noticed people talking about the electric starts on the 300's and that they would rather have a kick start, tell that to the guy that gets stalled and stuck in muddddd up to the seat!! LMAO! Really HONDA IS THE BEST MACHINE OUT THERE with the exception of a CANAM, but who would pay that type of $ for something you take through the woods.....another note I must touch on is I recently crashed into a railroad tie at around 40 mph on my 300EX, with no brakeage at all HEAD ON! Not one problem with the bike, I turned it back onto all 4's and hit the ELECTRIC start and bang ready to go home and lick my wounds! Just my opinion and we all know what they say about those!!! Everyone be safe out there and ENJOY!

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by beg2007
First off I agree that this type of info is for the Yamaha guys, this is strictly a HONDA THREAD! Also my dad has a Grizzly 660 and nothing but problem after problem, my friend just bought 2 Grizzly 700 FI's and both have been in the shop for same type of problems (backfiring and being made CRAPPY) Yamaha isn't the best bike out there by far. There is a reason why almost any contractor out there would buy a HONDA generator over anything else....There is also a reason why when Indians come to this country the first car they buy is hmmmmm...a HONDA (trust me I work in technology and all we have is Indian consultants) The cars go for 300K miles+....I bought a 300ex not too long ago after having a Warrior and a Blaster both **** the bed on me and my sons.......Also I noticed people talking about the electric starts on the 300's and that they would rather have a kick start, tell that to the guy that gets stalled and stuck in muddddd up to the seat!! LMAO! Really HONDA IS THE BEST MACHINE OUT THERE with the exception of a CANAM, but who would pay that type of $ for something you take through the woods.....another note I must touch on is I recently crashed into a railroad tie at around 40 mph on my 300EX, with no brakeage at all HEAD ON! Not one problem with the bike, I turned it back onto all 4's and hit the ELECTRIC start and bang ready to go home and lick my wounds! Just my opinion and we all know what they say about those!!! Everyone be safe out there and ENJOY!

Well first of all, you must have all bought defects or something, because every yamaha weve owned (alot) never gave us ONE problem at all. IMO they are the best bikes made, and honda is second.

Second of all, Yamaha doesnt make cars, thats why they buy hondas:rolleyes: lol. And im not too sure about yamaha making generators, if they do i never knew it. It yamaha had a 400, i would take that over my 400ex anyday, as great as a bike it is.

You seem TOO biased towards honda. Like most people are a little biased like i am with yamaha.

Hahaha, just messin with ya, but yeah, not one yamaha we or any of my friends had let us down.:D

JIMFROMTEXCO
12-19-2007, 03:14 PM
what forum are you posting this in? maybe thats why everyone seems biased towrds honda? MO the ex's are the most reliable sport bikes made.

honda300EXtreme
12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
this thread is going no-where fast....

yamaha like an other company out has its goods and bads,,
the good the yfz and banshee

the bads
everything else

my buddy has a 05 yfz,,,, 3 engines in 2 years

i read that article in dirt wheels,, and it sucked,,, i agree its snappier do to the weight advantage but still,, this thing has not proven its self yet

honda8&3
12-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
this thread is going no-where fast....

yamaha like an other company out has its goods and bads,,
the good the yfz and banshee

the bads
everything else

my buddy has a 05 yfz,,,, 3 engines in 2 years

i read that article in dirt wheels,, and it sucked,,, i agree its snappier do to the weight advantage but still,, this thing has not proven its self yet

Totally agree with you Mike. This forum is biased towards the 300ex because hmmm... IT'S THE 300EX FORUM. DUHH:huh :rolleyes:

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
im not stupid, of course i know people will be biased, but that guy was COMPLETELY biased, if its not honda its sh*t.

Im just a little bigger fan of yamaha, thats all.

Every single yamaha weve owned has been AWESOME! Even the banshee and blaster which everyone else makes out to be complete crap and high maintance. Well, the banshees are kinda, but not too bad

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 03:59 PM
The only brands i dont like are polaris and kawi. Every polaris we'vew enountered had problems, and kawi is obsessed with those nikasil cylinders that make it expensive to rebuild

honda300EXtreme
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
yea nikasil plated cylinders are a pain in the ***,, but most manufactures seem to be going that route with the 450's especially,,

no brand is perfect,,, they all have there down sides,,,

with the new 450s coming it its showing that the market is growing, and hopefully some of this new technology will trickle down to our small bore quads...

hell id settle for better shocks and a oil cooler,, and the 300 would be set,

Pappy
12-19-2007, 04:50 PM
I read through alot of the typical brand loyal BS that always finds it's way into these discussions.

I bought one of the 250's based soley on a few factors, and if these dont fit you then you can see why I went the direction I did.

1st: My son is smaller in stature, and the nimble and light Raptor fit him like a glove.

2nd: Building either is expensive, but knowing that the Raptor being a new model, I could count on companies actually wanting to provide sponsorship and assistance on parts. With the 300ex, there are very few that are willing to pony up parts to be evaluated due to it being on the market since Moses sprouted pubes.

3rd: Price and the mere fact that Yamaha is actually out here in the racing world doing something for our sport.

Now, this does not mean the Honda 300ex is a bad quad, but if you discount the Raptor based on who makes it without seat time, then you are a fool. this little quad rips and while i agree, it will need some tuning and tweaking it will compete with anything in its class.

Look for a full build of ours that is due to start next week as we take it from bone stock to fully tricked over the next few weeks. And hopefully, we will see some of you on the line at the GNCC's:cool:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2383/1527155713_6f57e07302_b.jpg

honda300EXtreme
12-19-2007, 04:57 PM
looking good pappy how does cody like it??

i hear you have some plans for this thing eh?

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
hey pappy, how do you think that thing compares power-wise to a blaster. I know the blassie was pretty damn quick, but the rappy is almost as much hp.

Pappy
12-19-2007, 05:37 PM
i asked cody and he said they all should be close as far as speed goes just from his butt dyno...lol

his lap times on his XC course were 6 seconds faster on the 250 then on his 300ex. that is all attributed to him being able to make the quad do what he wants it to where as on the 300 he was really having to work to get the quad to rip between the tree's.

there is alot more to going fast then hp #'s and top speed!

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i asked cody and he said they all should be close as far as speed goes just from his butt dyno...lol

his lap times on his XC course were 6 seconds faster on the 250 then on his 300ex. that is all attributed to him being able to make the quad do what he wants it to where as on the 300 he was really having to work to get the quad to rip between the tree's.

there is alot more to going fast then hp #'s and top speed!

I know that there is alot more to hp and speed, but i was just curious. I was able to rail around pretty good on the blassie when i did the banshee rear end (+2) and reversed front rims (+2)

They should put that rappy hood on the yfz:devil:

speedy121487
12-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I dont know how credible DirtWheels Magazine is. The december 2007 issue had the 2008 300ex in it and they said "the 2008 Honda 300ex is packed with the same 228cc air-cooled" They didn't say it once, but throughout the whole review. I don't know how they could have missed that, WTF? I know thats a small thing, but who writes this stuff. The only thing they got right was saying "this motor had been proven over 15 years of use, and if taken care of will last forever" The break down for this guide was that a stock 250 raptor was better on the track and the 300ex is a better trail atv. If thats all they were trying to say I would fully agree. Anyone saying the 300ex is crap and this new 250 raptor is overall superior is very mislead. Honda atvs have been more reliable over the years than Yamaha. They have both had problems, but overall Hondas have been more reliable in stock form. The reason the 300ex is using the same 282cc engine is because it is reliable and there is no reason to change it if its not broken. The only ATVs I would say are totally crap are the no name brands people are buying from china.

littledirt929
12-31-2007, 04:11 PM
i agree with the speedy guy Honda's are way more reliable. and Listen hondamaster if you like yamahas soo much then why isnt your name yamahamaster???????????

Hondamaster5505
12-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by littledirt929
i agree with the speedy guy Honda's are way more reliable. and Listen hondamaster if you like yamahas soo much then why isnt your name yamahamaster???????????

because i have a 400ex, i love both yamaha AND honda, im not against either of the, definitly my 2 fav. brands. i hate polaris!

j20accord00
12-31-2007, 09:11 PM
same here man i rode one that couldnt get up a like a low hilll with race fuel in it.

Hondamaster5505
12-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by j20accord00
same here man i rode one that couldnt get up a like a low hilll with race fuel in it.
lmao. You gotta love POS polaris! NOT! lmao.

Mine had so many problems one after the other, and their 2-strokes dont even have reeds or an expansion chamber, so it was ball-less! lol.

I never bought another polaris..

j20accord00
12-31-2007, 09:19 PM
hahaha yeah im mean come on the thing is like jetted and its running on race fuel and it can make it up a slop lol. but really they suck a** threw a straw.... lmao

Hondamaster5505
12-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by j20accord00
hahaha yeah im mean come on the thing is like jetted and its running on race fuel and it can make it up a slop lol. but really they suck a** threw a straw.... lmao

hahaha

Hondamaster5505
12-31-2007, 09:22 PM
and dude, whats up with the 2-stroke 4x4's, wtf?? lmao

j20accord00
12-31-2007, 09:25 PM
idk man i saw this drunk on one man he was loaded and bro what is that gay rack on the front of the like its like 4ft by 7ft like what are they doing carring elephant on them holy sh*t

Hondamaster5505
12-31-2007, 09:29 PM
haha

j20accord00
12-31-2007, 09:32 PM
but hey man a quad is quad even if it is a polaris as long as you get out there ridiing you no.:D