PDA

View Full Version : Oil level issue??

YZ400EX
12-03-2007, 04:10 PM
I have an 04 450R.. probably not 50 hours on it.. Here is the deal.. I changed the oil.. after I changed the oil, the level doesnt read right all the time.. sometimes when the engine is cold the oil level will be fine and other times when cold it will show no oil at all.. Same when warmed up.. sometimes when warm it shows fine oil level and other times when warm it will show no oil.. This is all on a level surface so this isnt the issue..it probably did this before I changed the oil too, just didnt notice it..any ideas???

chadbarger18
12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I have no idea but mine just did that like 30 min ago and its an 05 so i just put a little in it

YZ400EX
12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I also forgot to mention that this is while running when idling, at different rpm's and while its off .. I dont want to put more oil in it because I dont want to over fill it since sometimes it is at the right level..

reptikes
12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Mine does the same thing. What i do is leave it idle for like 3 minutes or until warmed up, then take it for a 1-2 minute ride. Come back turn it off and let it sit for 3 minutes then take the oil cap off and let it sit for another 30 seconds and if it looks loke i need some ADD SOME if im good then :D . Doing it like that hasn't let me down yet. I over filled it so many times before i started doing it like this. Hope this helps.

ss440ex
12-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Try checking your engine oil when hot/warmed up.
Engine off, not running.
Allow oil to level off for 30 secs after shut down....

I believe that is what the manual says..

d3ktrix
12-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Yeah you can't check it when it's running, has to be off.

The level of the oil when its running means nothing.

bloodmoney23
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I just put back in exactly how much the manual says. I think its about 1.2 quarts or so. It will read perfect to the fill line but when started it looks like there aint any. But thats just cause its 1. cycling through the engine. 2. with the magneto rolling around and everything its keeping the oil moving around which will show a drop in oil level but trust me youll be good.

Colby@C&DRacing
12-04-2007, 11:26 AM
The oil level looks different at different times becuase this is a dry sump motor. The proper way to check the oil is to start the motor let it run for a few minutes, turn it off let it sit for 3-5 minute and check the oil level. you can adjust it at this time if needed

Sjorge450R
12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
i dont know about you guys but i run a full quart in my motor side and i will continue. I have been told by a few people that its actually better to do this than to run the reccomneded .86 or what ever it is.

GIXXER1KR
12-06-2007, 11:54 PM
How about the tranny side.I have read people saying they ran 1 full qt in there,never heard about that in the engine side:confused:

Colby@C&DRacing
12-07-2007, 08:45 AM
You can run the tranny side over full some without any trouble. If you run the engine side over full you are asking for a blown crank seal

trx450rider11
12-08-2007, 09:22 AM
what i usually do is change the oil. put the new oil in. just kick it over but dont kick hard so that u start just enough to get it down and back up so the oil kinda runs through. then start it. let it idle. pull the clutch in and put it in gear and let the clutch out just a little so i t kinda goes into gear. so that way the oil gets around. and then let it idle a little bit. and turn it off. then just wait awhile tilll it cools off and check the oil and add sum if u have to.