View Full Version : Rolled my 4 wheeler a few times, now brake problems

fxbrry
12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I got stuck sideways on a pretty steep hill Saturday and there was no other choice but to bail. The 4 wheeler barrell rolled down the hill a few times. It came down on the handle bars pretty hard and now the front brakes will barely grap and stop the bike. Before the wreck they worked fine. Now when I pull the front brake level it pulls all the way and touches the grip. The resevoir took a pretty good hit but it's not leaking or cracked. Could air have gotten in the system somehow from the hard hit? Anyone have suggestions? Thanks for the help.

hardtrailz400
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
You may have stretched the cable or got it out of adjustment.

Titanium
12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd bleed them just to make sure that no air got in them then go from there. but as stated by hardtrailz you could have stretched a brake line.

drzoo2
12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
You bent your front spindle. No doubt about it. I know this cause I've done it myself. After I rolled my quad I could pull the front brake all the way to the bars. This is because the brake rotor is now pushing on one side of the caliper and it take extra fluid to push the pad to the rotor. This is easy to see. Take your front tires off. The rotor should be completely parllel with your steering knuckle. In other words the distance between the rotor and knuckle should be equal. I garantee one side or both spindles are bent.

It's relative easy to fix. LSR makes replacement spindles vs. replacing the whole steering knuckle. You can't by new spindles from zuki without getting the whole knuckle

z

If this is the cause...no need to bleed

fxbrry
12-05-2007, 07:28 AM
drz002,

You may be right. I bent the hell out of the front left wheel. THis is my first quad so it's all new to me. COuld you post a picture of what I'll need to replace? I'm bidding on a rim on ebay right now. I looked at spindles and knuckels but wasnt sure exactly what I would need to get. I dont want to buy something if I dont need it.

drzoo2
12-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Here are the LSR's I bought. They are stronger than stock and cheaper considering you don't have to buy the whole knuckle assembly. LSR gets 75 for a pair. I think one knuckle will run you 150.

http://www.lsracing.com/img/Thumb296.jpg

Here's their site..... (http://www.lsracing.com/suzuki-z400-kawasaki-kfx400.htm)

They need to be pressed in. Any auto mechanic can do this for you. Takes about 10 minutes tops. Do both sides while you have it apart. Also you might want to check out central for used parts. Stuff like rims come up there all the time. I got two new stock tires and two rims....one was bent and one was mint for $50. I sold the two tires for $50 so I got a free rim. At the time I bent the spindle I also hosed my rim.

z

kawaikfx400
12-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Defintely a bent spindle, did the same thing to mine and the brakes pulled all the way in. I hit a downed tree in the woods under some leaves in 3rd... haha, blew the tire almost off the rim,folded the rim and bent the spindle and brake disc.

f4istunna
12-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Im w/ them. Spindle. I chunked my raptor down a good hill last year. Bent a arm and wheel. Replaced those but now brakes werent working. Then i noticed spindle was slightly bent. Swapped it out and back to normal.

fxbrry
12-17-2007, 06:55 AM
I replaced the wheel and spindle and now the brakes are back to new. This side spins more freely than the other side that wasnt bent in the roll over. Go figure.

f4istunna
12-17-2007, 07:33 AM
bearings could probably use replaced on the other side, or might have tweaked something a bit. If it still rolls decent i wouldnt worry about it though.