PDA

View Full Version : CBR master cylinder?

mc_racer
12-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I've read where people have put a CBR master cylinder on a 250r. What year CBR should I look for? Does anyone have any pics of it installed?

tank69
12-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Any reason why you want to do this?

mc_racer
12-05-2007, 06:37 AM
I don't know that I want to. I had just read a little about it and was hoping for some more info from someone who had done it.

tank69
12-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Like you, I'm curious as well as to why anyone would do this. The stock MC is more than enough for the most modified of quads. My suggestion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

j28d
12-05-2007, 10:41 PM
It's the best mod I ever made to my 250r. It gives you much more modulation and control over the front brakes, the pads wear more evenly, and the lever is adjustable. You can use any cbr 600 or 900 front master cylinder(it should be the rectangle(stretched oval looking one) with stock or stainless lines and will never regret it. I use it with galfer ss lines and it gives so much more controllable stopping power that doing stoppies is easy and setting up for fast corners is perfect. The best part is they're cheap) I got mine for $2.04 on ebay and you can polish them, then buy all kinds of custom rezzie caps from any streetbike store.

I would suggest this to anybody, the bigger master cylinder overpowers your brakes slightly so both pads wear evenly. I've had them on my R for 2 yrs and haven't had any problems, plus they're way easier to bleed.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee50/j28d/r%20fenders/?action=view&current=1388.jpg

I actually have a spare on in my garage that just needs a cap, if you're interested pm me and I'll sell it for 15 shipped-new custom rezzie cap is 9.99(flames, skulls, any color you can think of, naked women, all kinds of stuff are on these, or you can get on at your local bike shop).

400exrider707
12-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by j28d
It's the best mod I ever made to my 250r. It gives you much more modulation and control over the front brakes, the pads wear more evenly, and the lever is adjustable. You can use any cbr 600 or 900 front master cylinder(it should be the rectangle(stretched oval looking one) with stock or stainless lines and will never regret it. I use it with galfer ss lines and it gives so much more controllable stopping power that doing stoppies is easy and setting up for fast corners is perfect. The best part is they're cheap) I got mine for $2.04 on ebay and you can polish them, then buy all kinds of custom rezzie caps from any streetbike store.

I would suggest this to anybody, the bigger master cylinder overpowers your brakes slightly so both pads wear evenly. I've had them on my R for 2 yrs and haven't had any problems, plus they're way easier to bleed.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee50/j28d/r%20fenders/?action=view&current=1388.jpg

I actually have a spare on in my garage that just needs a cap, if you're interested pm me and I'll sell it for 15 shipped-new custom rezzie cap is 9.99(flames, skulls, any color you can think of, naked women, all kinds of stuff are on these, or you can get on at your local bike shop).

How on earth would it make your pads wear more evenly? In theory too big of a master cylinder would actually work against you. It's simple pressure over volume.

If you had to replace a 250R MC, I would use either a 400EX or a 450R one personally. If a CBR one works and they're cheap, then heck go for it, but in no way would it make your pads wear more evenly, if you are saying this because the 150R one you swapped off was making them wear unevenly then there was something wrong with your system before, and probably not the Master cylinders fault. The adjustable lever function is a plus however.

f4istunna
12-09-2007, 12:13 PM
i put a f4i master on one of my 400's simply because i had tons of streetbike parts laying around at the time and was fresh out of quad masters lol.

Seemed to work great, didnt notice much difference over the stock master but i didnt pay much attention to it either. I bled it a few good times and the brakes felt perfect.
My 250r is probably getting a streetbike master when it goes back together unless i have a spare 400ex master left at the time, since the one on my R is leaking.

j28d
12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
In theory, a stock master cylinder should wear both pads evenly. In practice, I bought a new 400ex in 05 and one side would always be a little more worn than the other when changing them. With the cbr master cylinder, both pads wear evenly. I guess I don't really have a great explanation for why it works that way, I just know from experience that it works.

400exrider707
12-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by j28d
In theory, a stock master cylinder should wear both pads evenly. In practice, I bought a new 400ex in 05 and one side would always be a little more worn than the other when changing them. With the cbr master cylinder, both pads wear evenly. I guess I don't really have a great explanation for why it works that way, I just know from experience that it works.

The master cylinder has no effect on this... your air pressure in your tires may have an effect though. Just a thought