PDA

View Full Version : crashin in the snow...

shftmx300ex
12-02-2007, 09:30 PM
so todays the first real snow for massachussetts and what do i do...crash my truck...awsome! be careful on the roads out there guys.

12-03-2007, 05:43 AM
dont feel bad, happend to me the last time it snowed by me.

Conman007
12-03-2007, 05:55 AM
you not going to explain how you crashed your truck.

Aceman
12-03-2007, 07:20 AM
I'll bet he just slid off the road and hit a ditch/pole/fence/car/bridge/embankment/etc:blah: but I could be wrong!

NJ450rider
12-03-2007, 08:22 AM
snow is fun but can change into a bad time faster than you can blink. and sometimes its even out of your control. ive had many close calls in my 10 years of driving. Ive been super lucky and never hurt any of my vehicles or anything else. most spin outs involved me just sliding to a stop. Hope your truck isnt that bad!

shftmx300ex
12-03-2007, 12:46 PM
the bumpers toast..it wasnt a really bad accident but i tried to turn out of my friends street but my truck kept going straight and the brakes just locked the wheels up so i went into a cement barrier..but i could still drive it home.

jherbie28
12-03-2007, 02:37 PM
hey man that sucks but just be glad thats all you hit;)

shftmx300ex
12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by jherbie28
hey man that sucks but just be glad thats all you hit;)

yea, about 30 minutes ago my friend sent me a picture messege on my phone of his ford explorer, totalled.. he just did it today, lost controll in snow and hit a tree doin 40..hes okay though but the car is a mess.

Ghost-Rider
12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
You should drive around in the snow and get a feel for it. If your brakes lock up let off them or pump them. If they lock up and you keep them locked you will just slide straight.

shftmx300ex
12-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
You should drive around in the snow and get a feel for it. If your brakes lock up let off them or pump them. If they lock up and you keep them locked you will just slide straight.
yea but sometimes panic sets in so i was just like ohh ok im crashing haha in my head i wanted to but i couldnt.

MX MaNiAc 06
12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I about lost it last night. Slid to a stop sign n stopped completely sideways. Thank god for the ebrake or id be in the ditch. On the anniversary of having my license 1 year too. haha

JOEX
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
I about lost it last night. Slid to a stop sign n stopped completely sideways. Thank god for the ebrake or id be in the ditch. On the anniversary of having my license 1 year too. haha
I don't think the 'ebrake' helped any....:ermm:

mineralgrey01gt
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
best thing to do if your sliding is to just turn the wheel and punch it to spin it around, i dont know how hard it is to drive in snow (louisiana + snow = miracle) since we never have any in the part of louisiana i live in.

MOFO
12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
best thing to do if your sliding is to just turn the wheel and punch it to spin it around, i dont know how hard it is to drive in snow (louisiana + snow = miracle) since we never have any in the part of louisiana i live in.

Not a good technique for snow/ice - you'd be in a ditch faster than you can say "Ohhhhhhhhh #$#$%!!!" :D

Ghost-Rider
12-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I don't think the 'ebrake' helped any....:ermm:

Yea, I'm willing to be it's the reason he stopped sideways lol.

Quad18star
12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
We just got our first significant snowfall over the last 2 days .... we got over a foot of snow .... and the snow brings out all the bad driving techniques.

My best advice .... when comming to a stop , throw the vehicle into Neutral and SLOWLY apply the brakes.

If you go into a skid or start to lose control , just let off the gas , don't touch the brakes .... you'll end up going around , and around and around .....

Best advice of them all though .... drive at a reduced speed. If it takes a few extra minutes to get where you're going , then so be it. No point in wrecking your vehicle .

Drive Safe !!!

Toadz400
12-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt

It's funny that someone that's never driven in snow before, or probably never driven at all, is giving advice on how to drive in snow...

I agree with Quad18star on pretty much everything he said.

I was lucky as I got my permit in December and the only times my dad would take me out driving was when the roads were the worst. If the roads weren't bad we'd go out on the lakes just so I'd have experience and know exactly what the vehicle was going to do and how to react to it.

Because of driving smart I've been able to make it through two winters with a 4 cylinder 2WD Sonoma with bald tires and no rear brakes. Yes, I'm that good of a driver.:blah: Now this year I refuse to drive the Sonoma again because I've had the worst luck for the past 4 months and I don't need it getting any worse. Decided to steal my dad's Blazer and I've just been using the 4WD and taking it slow this year.

mojo123
12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
you have any pictures of it?