PDA

View Full Version : Teachin the boys to trap

Pappy
12-02-2007, 10:21 AM
I have had the boys reading and practicing set ups all fall long, and yesterday at noon we struck out and set up some trap sets for coon, fox and skunk(skunks been getting the dogs:grr: )

So, yesterday being the last day of rifle season for deer, we were excited this morning as we headed out to check our trap line. The catch was good :D

Pappy
12-02-2007, 10:23 AM
the coon was a big one, and it will be skun and we will tan the hide to show off as their first catch

Pappy
12-02-2007, 10:25 AM
These feral cats are not happy....these lil' sob's eat anything they can catch, breed like rabbits and need to go:chinese:

Ghost-Rider
12-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice, get rid of those cats, we had one that keep eating birds at our feeders. We ended up shooting it, it was bad, the thing keep pissing in our shrubs and making it smell. Cat piss is the worst smell ever.

NPelletier
12-02-2007, 10:39 AM
gj...what did you do with the cats?

Titanium
12-02-2007, 11:49 AM
i love trapping. i caught a bobcat i got in a live trap yesterday and put it in a kitty carrier that way i can collect pheromone and pee off of it so i can use it for scent to trap with. i'll get pics of all the cats we caught last year. i might try and post of vid of the bob cat i caught in the kitty carrier we made and put it on youtube. hes a fiesty little guy.:macho

BlaineKaiser450
12-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Cat piss is the worst smell ever. omg yes it is! we had to get rid of one cat because it was pissing all over my dads suits :eek2:

Pappy
12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
we had abobcat i am assuming , kill a neighbors kid goat a few days ago. id love to see him tangled up in one of my #2's:p

quadracer707
12-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
These feral cats are not happy....these lil' sob's eat anything they can catch, breed like rabbits and need to go:chinese:
Can you say chinese food!!!!!!

Titanium
12-02-2007, 02:15 PM
these are some of the cats we caught 2 years ago. we caught quite a few more last year because we got permission to trap more ground.

Conman007
12-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Thats a lot of cats. What do you do with the when you kill them.

tar
12-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
these are some of the cats we caught 2 years ago. we caught quite a few more last year because we got permission to trap more ground.

There is a lot of money layin there!

exrider12
12-02-2007, 02:54 PM
^^^ are those bobcats or house cats?

Titanium
12-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by exrider12

all bob cats

Ghost-Rider
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by exrider12

Lmao :D

mx/xcblaster
12-02-2007, 03:55 PM
all in leg traps im assuming
we use victor #6s
ill post pics later

Pappy
12-02-2007, 05:11 PM
now thats a catch!!!!

TRX_450
12-02-2007, 05:37 PM
dang...i sure wish i had more time to trap like i didnt b4 i got a job...i sold 2 cats last year for 165 a piece

mine
12-02-2007, 05:42 PM
As of right now i'm pretty digusted, not at pappy's post, but at titanium's post, can someone fill me in on why you kill all these cats and what you do with them? :ermm:

Ghost-Rider
12-02-2007, 05:46 PM
You can sell the pelts.

wvspeedfreak
12-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I have never used steel traps but used to get alot of racoons here in live traps.I haven't set any for a long time though.I had a huge racoon climbing up our front screen door the other night.I just heard the door rattling and thought it was our cat because he will climb up the door and shake it when he wants in.You can imagine my surprise when I went to the door and was met face to face with a huge racoon :p

ny300exrider
12-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by mine
As of right now i'm pretty digusted, not at pappy's post, but at titanium's post, can someone fill me in on why you kill all these cats and what you do with them? :ermm: i was going to say the same thing bro, that pic caught me WAY off guard....idk if its something thats more common in other places, but ive been here on long island my whole life and aint never seen some chit like that.....wtf is the deal with killing that many cats? i got no problem with deer hunting and stuff(my friends do it, i have no urge to) and i love fishing, but that seems almost like poaching to me.

maybe im missing something but that pic disgusted me

Pappy
12-02-2007, 05:58 PM
LMAO...how big of a hole did you blow in the door:devil:

Mean250r
12-02-2007, 05:58 PM
when you catch them, what do you do? just shoot them? :confused:

Pappy
12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
ive been here on long island my whole life

right there is problem numero uno;)

trapping bobcats and coyotes are an integral part of balancing nature. these are not kitty cats..LOL..although they both go "poof" the same:devil:

ZeroLogic
12-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Yip.

Pappy
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Hows this for a seasons worth of coyotes:p
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/echf/SmallCoyoteProblem.jpg

wvspeedfreak
12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
LMAO...how big of a hole did you blow in the door:devil:

Had to make a trip to Home Depot the next day :D

Pappy
12-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Had to make a trip to Home Depot the next day :D

lol NO DOUBT!!

im ready for deer season to end so i can turn my attention to Yotes and Fox:cool:

Pappy
12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
it should make it fun when they come in fast to the rabbit call:devil: this Trijicon ACOG site will get used:macho

wvspeedfreak
12-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Kenny,that is a sweet set up.A friend of mine has been asking me to go coyote hunting with him.....he says it is fun as hell.

By the way,I hope you guys will be able to make it over here Saturday.April said to tell you all sorry for the mix up of plans :ermm:

Pappy
12-02-2007, 06:29 PM
no worries, we will be there!

i bought an electronic caller for us to try, sure drives the dogs and cat nuts in the house:devil: i usually call in foxes with a mouth blown call, but with the kids with me i need to be watching them more then blowing a call. a few years back, i called in a red that cody shot literally inches from the end of his barrel:eek: it was pretty intense:p

cletusEX
12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
lol NO DOUBT!!

im ready for deer season to end so i can turn my attention to Yotes and Fox:cool:

I have a similar setup. It is a Bushmaster lower with a RRA upper with a Leupold 2x7 in a Larue Tactical mount. It's my coyote/fox/world goes to **** gun!:D Gotta be prepared for everything. WE WILL BE MAKING A TRIP BACK TO THE FARM IN FEB. TO GET IN SOME TRIGGER TIME! I have an electronic caller and can always use an extra shooter, especially one who can shoot.

Pappy
12-02-2007, 06:36 PM
count me in nick!! and i will take you to the farm in carroll county when muzzleloader ends...loaded with foxes!!!

when i left you the other night, i ended up on that farm until 11pm searching for a deer kevin hit....:ermm: if hunting clothes werent so expensive id have cut off his coat tail:p (and besides, he has tromped enough ground helping me find one so it is all good):D

quads14589
12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
i trapped awhile back and got some other things that shouldnt be in the traps.

cletusEX
12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
count me in nick!! and i will take you to the farm in carroll county when muzzleloader ends...loaded with foxes!!!

when i left you the other night, i ended up on that farm until 11pm searching for a deer kevin hit....:ermm: if hunting clothes werent so expensive id have cut off his coat tail:p (and besides, he has tromped enough ground helping me find one so it is all good):D

You didn't miss anything Sat. I didn't make it out to the island in the morning and only saw one Sat. night after dark. I'm glad we could get out there Friday and get you a deer. We'll have to get you back with a muzzleloader to get a nice buck for the wall.

kawiefan
12-02-2007, 06:45 PM
hey pappy i got a question about coyote hunting. me and my dad just started hunting them back in the summer just in the day and we got 4 so far. we really need 2 night vision scopes for a 270 & 223. do you know of any that are of reasonable price that are not junk. thanks

mx1791
12-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Hows this for a seasons worth of coyotes:p
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/echf/SmallCoyoteProblem.jpg
i dont like killing things, but that picture = lmfao

Pappy
12-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by kawiefan
hey pappy i got a question about coyote hunting. me and my dad just started hunting them back in the summer just in the day and we got 4 so far. we really need 2 night vision scopes for a 270 & 223. do you know of any that are of reasonable price that are not junk. thanks

no i sure dont, not that civilians can purchase anyway. we cant use anything above a dang 22 at night in this state, but a load of buckshot or #2 will put them down when called at night using a red filtered spotlight.<--only legal way to hunt them here after dark

quads14589
12-02-2007, 07:07 PM
look at the dude at the bottom of the picture lmao.

kawiefan
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
no i sure dont, not that civilians can purchase anyway. we cant use anything above a dang 22 at night in this state, but a load of buckshot or #2 will put them down when called at night using a red filtered spotlight.<--only legal way to hunt them here after dark
ooo i never knew that. guess we will be using the 22 and the shottie. thanks about that one

Pappy
12-02-2007, 07:45 PM
you'll have to check the regulations in PA, what i posted is for WV...and WV is kind of strict. They want the Yotes dead, some local towns are even paying bounty, but they wont let us use the tools we need to be more effective.

Ghost-Rider
12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
My dad and I want to start cyote hunting after deer season, Few weeks back while hunting one morning a HUGE coyote came in with a normal sized one, the large one was about the size of my boxer, had to pushin 50 or 60 pounds, it was huge compared to the smaller one.

Titanium
12-02-2007, 08:49 PM
for those who are "disgusted" by my picture. we dont just trap them and leave them lay. we trap them then skin them and sell the pelts and the pheromone(sp)(scent) off of them. we do not waste them. i know many people that trap just to kill things and i know people that hunt just to shoot things and i cant stand them. i trap for the game of it and to make money off of their pelts. i also do it for population control. if you get to many bob cats around you will notice your bird population such as pheasants and such go down by a big amount. bob cats also have a bad habit of taking down your young phon deer which we dont want. so please dont think that we just waste them away.

ny300exrider
12-02-2007, 09:07 PM
for those who are "disgusted" by my picture. we dont just trap them and leave them lay. we trap them then skin them and sell the pelts and the pheromone(sp)(scent) off of them. we do not waste them. i know many people that trap just to kill things and i know people that hunt just to shoot things and i cant stand them. i trap for the game of it and to make money off of their pelts. i also do it for population control. if you get to many bob cats around you will notice your bird population such as pheasants and such go down by a big amount. bob cats also have a bad habit of taking down your young phon deer which we dont want. so please dont think that we just waste them away. see, i had no idea stuff like that even went down....although its still grosses me out alittle, i now understand it all.

good luck with your trapping broski

Mean250r
12-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Mean250r
when you catch them, what do you do? just shoot them? :confused:

:confused:

416exfreak
12-03-2007, 12:44 PM
A little crafty editing:D

Pappy
12-03-2007, 01:05 PM
some of the ways you can dispatch a trapped animal are to shoot it with a 22 in an area that brings swift death and doesnt screw up the pelt. some whack the animal in the back of the head with a trap stake or trowel, skunks are tough, and some use a needle with sodium pentathol to kill them so they dont spray.

Mean250r
12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
some of the ways you can dispatch a trapped animal are to shoot it with a 22 in an area that brings swift death and doesnt screw up the pelt. some whack the animal in the back of the head with a trap stake or trowel, skunks are tough, and some use a needle with sodium pentathol to kill them so they dont spray.

wow. Nothing against you hunters but i could never just shoot or whack an animal to its death.

Ghost-Rider
12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
wow. Nothing against you hunters but i could never just shoot or whack an animal to its death.

What else can you do, the things in a trap and still alive. You have to do something.

ny300exrider
12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
wow. Nothing against you hunters but i could never just shoot or whack an animal to its death. same here man i could never do that.

juanki
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
when the animail is in the trap, can you put the trap into water to let the animal drown?

i do this when ever i cath a rat, lol.

stevo3176
12-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Isn't there anything better to do in your towns besides trap animals. Hunting to control animals and to provide food is one thing, but trapping is pretty inhumane in my opinion. I mean where is the sport in trapping? You must be pretty detached from reality to justify having an animal suffer....

Titanium
12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by stevo3176
Isn't there anything better to do in your towns besides trap animals. Hunting to control animals and to provide food is one thing, but trapping is pretty inhumane in my opinion. I mean where is the sport in trapping? You must be pretty detached from reality to justify having an animal suffer....

first animals have a different kind of pain. second what makes trapping a sport is trying to out smart the animal. third we're not detached from reality:ermm: i hate to say it but it kinda sounds like you are if you dont understand trapping. and fourth there are many things to do in our so called "towns" trapping is one of my hobbies and i enjoy it you may not but i do and thats all that matters in my opinion.. kinda like you enjoy tree hugging(maybe from the sounds of it):blah:

stevo3176
12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
first animals have a different kind of pain. second what makes trapping a sport is trying to out smart the animal. third we're not detached from reality:ermm: i hate to say it but it kinda sounds like you are if you dont understand trapping. and fourth there are many things to do in our so called "towns" trapping is one of my hobbies and i enjoy it you may not but i do and thats all that matters in my opinion.. kinda like you enjoy tree hugging(maybe from the sounds of it):blah:
How do you know that animals feel different kind of pain? Did a an animal tell you that a trap ripping or breaking its leg didn't really hurt that bad? And how do you out smart an animal that is only trying to satisify a primal urge to get food. How smart do you think these animals are? Are you trying to prove you are smarter then them by tricking them? By your choice of hobbies I'm not really to sure. As for the tree hugger by your standards maybe I am but are you a hick?

Anvil
12-03-2007, 05:54 PM

LOL a different kind of pain ! would love to hear your explanation of that theory. ;)

Pappy
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
i have the hick manual and trapping is not a prerequisite to be a hick.

as far as pain, it has been proven that using todays traps is far more humane then the traps of the past, and many animals simply lay down and go to sleep. I agree, it is not the best situation to be in, but it is an accepted form of harvesting furbearers that has been in use since man has been walking this planet. early man learned to use deadfalls to trap animals under fallen logs and rocks to hold , crush and kill things it wanted to eat and to use. today we use traps that do not have teeth, some states require padded jaws and then there is the live traps. snares today have to have locks that prevent choking and connibears kill as fast as most gunshots do.

you may not understand trapping and thats fine, but dont discount those of us that use it as a form or either recreation or a form of harvest as hicks or somehow lower on the social chart as yourself. i could easily say atv riding damages the land, causes destruction to the enviroment and in many instances kills animals of all types be it by habitat destruction, noise interference and in some cases the actual death of the animal from the atv itself...but seeing you ride atvs you find that point of view rediculious correct? remember that as you read your signature seeing how you have no places to ride on L I thanks to people not accepting your from of recreation, leisure and lifestyle.

Pappy
12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
btw, got a big grinner last night:D

Pappy
12-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Anvil
LOL a different kind of pain ! would love to hear your explanation of that theory. ;)

scientists on both sides of the hunting/trapping issue agree that animals have different forms of pain receptors then man does. we had them at one time but have lost the ability to function with high pain or even live, where as animals encounter pain daily and manage to live their lives with out the treatment of a doctor or the use of pain killers. i have no doubt they feel pain, and as a responsible hunter/trapper, i do every thing in my power to bring the animal a swift and as pain free death as possible, as do most.

i have hit deer with an arrow, and lost it...only to see it a few days later doing everything it did before my arrow hit it with no apparent adverse affects. ive killed deer and found a bullet in the carcass from an old wound, deer was doing just fine until I killed it. ive seen deer hit by cars that ran off, and then seen them limping around the same field a few days later....not many people can say all that.

and as far as cars go, they are responsible for more deaths and pain to animals then any trapper so i assume we should all go back to walking as well. i see people run over deer, get out and check their precious car and then drive off, never even giving the deer another look, or see them run over a coon and never tap the brakes.....yeah i worry about people..NOT

Titanium
12-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by stevo3176
How do you know that animals feel different kind of pain? Did a an animal tell you that a trap ripping or breaking its leg didn't really hurt that bad? And how do you out smart an animal that is only trying to satisify a primal urge to get food. How smart do you think these animals are? Are you trying to prove you are smarter then them by tricking them? By your choice of hobbies I'm not really to sure. As for the tree hugger by your standards maybe I am but are you a hick?

you can call me hick. it wont be the first. im not going to take offense to it. everybody is titled to their own opinion.:macho i prefer domesticated hillbilly but thats just my theory:blah:

Titanium
12-03-2007, 07:04 PM
btw, got a big grinner last night:D

wut did yuhhh git? ((i guess since im a hick i'll talk like one right?!!!! ha ha just kidding))

Pappy
12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
grinner = Opposum

Cody is doing good at skinning them, and he will be fleshing them (they are in the freezer now) and then stretching them etc. Not sure what he will do with them in the end, sell them or have himself and Ryan a hat made etc.

I know the grouse around here may catch a break if we can get the grinners, coons and fox numbers down a touch...and them damn cats. 4 years ago we were seeing grouse everyday, now all we see is cats and destroyed nests in the spring

Titanium
12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
grinner = Opposum

Cody is doing good at skinning them, and he will be fleshing them (they are in the freezer now) and then stretching them etc. Not sure what he will do with them in the end, sell them or have himself and Ryan a hat made etc.

I know the grouse around here may catch a break if we can get the grinners, coons and fox numbers down a touch...and them damn cats. 4 years ago we were seeing grouse everyday, now all we see is cats and destroyed nests in the spring

We used to have the same problem with our pheasant and dove population. after trapping cats for so long we've noticed a great increase in both dove and pheasant populations. But now we're starting to see a future problem which is mountain lions. Somehow they have migrated down here to the middle of kansas. I'm pretty sure we got one tangled up in one of our live traps. reason i think that is because we have custom steaks that go 7ft into the ground that are very hard to pull out(strong enough to keep bob cats and including myself from pulling it out unless i use our custom made tool to get it out of the ground) and the other day i went to check the trap and there was big prints that looked unusually big for a bob cat around it and our trap was gone!:mad:

Sjorge450R
12-03-2007, 07:19 PM
if you realize most people that are sensitive to this subject are from rural areas. Of coarse it seems weird to us, but its kinda what they do. Sure we dont trap things, but i am sure that we do things that they think is just as wrong as some think trapping are.

I wish it were like in the cartoons where you catch a bear by the foot and it just instantly dies....:p

Pappy
12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
A big cat worries me, thats one animal that can hunt you better then you can hunt it:p

I am getting ready to pick up some more of the live traps as we are able to release some of the smaller coon and non target catches. I have been having better luck in them then in legholds, and may even try for a bobcat or fox in them. The neighbor told me that they heard the goats going wild again last night but they went out immediatley and did not see anything. If I can get something out there to attract it while its in the area I may have a shot at it.

I wish we had some water or larger creeks on my place, it would be a draw for more and it would give them something else to eat besides the stuff I want here:p Those 2 feral cats were plump! I have tried telling everyone around here NOT to feed the damn things but they do. Just because it looks like puss in boots doesn't mean it is...that grey and white one went after me like it wanted to kill me:grr: Good thing a kid did not get it cornered:scary:

Titanium
12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
yea big cats will cause a major problem for us. i thought it was bad when i ran in to a badger on my way out to a deer stand but man...if i came up on a mountain lion in the dark i think i would flat out faint and hope for the best lol.

400exrider707
12-04-2007, 06:25 AM
We had mountain lion spottings in upstate NY recently. A guy captured it on his game camera, even went to the site and took molds of the prints. New York is turning a blind eye to it and doesn't want to admit it, they told the guy that it wasn't a mountain lion. Everyone who's seen the camera pics knows full well what it is, but NY doesn't want to admit it. It's only a matter of time now.:ermm:

Pappy
12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
The boys are learnin'....

in th past 2 weeks they have caught a few more grinners, another big coon, and these two from today. ryan did not like it when I had to dispatch the big coon again but if he plans on being a hunter or trapper , he must learn to end the animals life as quick and painless as possible.

at $10 to $15 , they may just make enough to pay me back for the traps:p (I havent told them about getting grinners, coons and fox out of here or atleast lowering their numbers so grouse and young turkeys will have more of a chance....but they will find out soon enough)

Ghost-Rider
12-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Dang, that coon looks big. You guys any issues with them getting into your trash ?

Pappy
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
not in awhile, the skunks will nose around the cans but we keep them tight so the bears stay out of them so the coons seem to avoid them as well

YFZRB
12-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Great thread Pappy!

I may be a jersey boy but did my fair share of trappin back in the day. I love the debate over the ethics and see how things have changed over time.

Good luck and have fun.

or should I say

gud luck n have fun wit da yungins :rolleyes:

swampfoxsc
12-12-2007, 05:37 PM
We get $110 per live coyote down here. We sell them to be used to train tracking dogs and fox hounds. They can't be injured at all. It takes skill to do it right. Yes, it's all regulated by the state and perfectly legal. We can only trap them to sell in January and February. Coyotes are some cowardly, sneaky animals alone but get awfully brave in a pack. A bobcat on the other hand, is downright vicious!

I estimate there's about $35,000 worth of coyotes hanging on that barn!!!! :eek2:

Pappy
12-12-2007, 05:39 PM
we can live trap fox now in WV...maybe next year I will look into it more. hunt clubs and trainers seem to pay good money for them

Ghost-Rider
12-12-2007, 06:09 PM
My dad saw about 5 or 6 coyotes while he was out deer hunting tonight, I think I'm going to start hunting them.

Slinky
12-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
We had mountain lion spottings in upstate NY recently. A guy captured it on his game camera, even went to the site and took molds of the prints. New York is turning a blind eye to it and doesn't want to admit it, they told the guy that it wasn't a mountain lion. Everyone who's seen the camera pics knows full well what it is, but NY doesn't want to admit it. It's only a matter of time now.:ermm:

one was caught by one of the border servailence cameras up here by the border. They try to say they arent around, but there have been sightings and tracks found. I havent heard of any livestock or anything getting attacked by one.