PDA

View Full Version : Putting new a-arms on

Crazy lil punk
12-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I got everything bolted up, but I just can get the wheels to go straight, they tilt in when there is no pressure on the front end, and tilt out when I put pressure on the front end? I am super confused, can anyone shed some light on this?

400exrider707
12-02-2007, 09:51 AM
That's normal if its only a little bit. Square it up with you sitting on the quad. Make it aligned then, and then it will go in and out a little bit while you're riding. If it does it A LOT, then you have tie-rod ends bolted up improperly.

Crazy lil punk
12-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
That's normal if its only a little bit. Square it up with you sitting on the quad. Make it aligned then, and then it will go in and out a little bit while you're riding. If it does it A LOT, then you have tie-rod ends bolted up improperly.

Its alot, With the tie-rod ends, how far should I screw them on?

Merl991
12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
this may sound like a stupid question.. but have you got the a-arms on the right side?

jherbie28
12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
also make sure that your balljoints are all screwed in or out the same amount of threads:)

400exrider707
12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I'll bet money you have one of your tie-rod ends on upside down. Post a pic, it will be a dead give-away. Usually if you have the one on the spindle in upside down, it will rub on the wheel, but not always, and then if you have the one on the steering stem on upside down it usually allows the tie rod to make contact with the frame at full droop, but again, not always. Post a pic, I'll tell you as soon as I see it. You should be able to see it yourself now.

400exrider707
12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Merl991
this may sound like a stupid question.. but have you got the a-arms on the right side?

Originally posted byjherbie28 also make sure that your balljoints are all screwed in or out the same amount of threads

While both of these are genuine concerns and may effect the alignment, neither will cause the toe-in/toe-out to drastically change as the suspension cycles. It is a matter of angles between the tie-rod ends and a-arm pivot points at both the frame and the spindle.

Crazy lil punk
12-04-2007, 07:27 AM
I can't get a picture till this weekend because the quad is not at my house, but I also saw that the handle bars cannot be turned completelty to the steering stop because the tie-rods hit the top of the a-arms..also, I never really screwed the tie-rod ends all they way on to the tie rods, I just screwed them on a little, should I screw them all the way on?

400exrider707
12-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Make sure the outer tie rod (the one that attaches to the spindle) is on the bottom of the spindle pointing upwards, and the one at the steering stem should be on top of the stem plate, pointing down towards the ground. Sounds like you may have the outer one (at the spindle) pointing down instead of up.

Crazy lil punk
12-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Make sure the outer tie rod (the one that attaches to the spindle) is on the bottom of the spindle pointing upwards, and the one at the steering stem should be on top of the stem plate, pointing down towards the ground. Sounds like you may have the outer one (at the spindle) pointing down instead of up.

I guess thats it, Because my outer ball joint is pointing down, I will try that this weekend and let you know it it works, thanks!

400exrider707
12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Crazy lil punk
I guess thats it, Because my outer ball joint is pointing down, I will try that this weekend and let you know it it works, thanks!

I'm surprised the wheel actually rotates around without making contact on it. Change it, then cycle the suspension on the ground and see how much it changes. It WILL still do that a little, but not nearly as bad as this.

Crazy lil punk
12-04-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm surprised the wheel actually rotates around without making contact on it. Change it, then cycle the suspension on the ground and see how much it changes. It WILL still do that a little, but not nearly as bad as this.

Okay, thanks dude, I put 6 hours in so far on the intall and adjustment..haha

Jersey450R
12-05-2007, 02:34 PM
what type of arms are they bud?

Crazy lil punk
12-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
what type of arms are they bud?

burgard-400ex I am working on now, after this is done, i will be putting full-flights on my yfz