PDA

View Full Version : Low Budge..any ideas?

250exkid
12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
i need some ideas... i have a very low budget, i wanna make my 400ex look awsome!. i do woods riding and run in the mud, so at times my quad does get hit with brush and stuff so im not really lookin to much into stickers and stuff more bolt ons and other stuff, manly luckin for suff dirt cheap that can be found anywere but also ebay to cuz i usually buy my stuff off there,, but what to get!!... another question is what are the stock rims size? i wanna get ITP C serise front and rear that i can put on 22x11 or 10X9's on the back and stock size on fronts.:macho

450rJam
12-01-2007, 08:10 PM
looks that will hold up to a little abuse hugh ?

bumper, grab bar, nerfs, handle bars

I seen a set of head light covers cut to look like evil/mean eyes
(so I had to copy it) I think it was less than 10 bucks

j450rking
12-01-2007, 08:17 PM
the stock fronts are 10'' and the rears are 9''. from what i hear the c series are good and i think they look nicer. all i can think of is try to get a used slip on like a yosh hmf curtis spraks or big gun oh and white bros and some others are good. and a uni or twin air filter. maybe some air scoops. a 450r carb would be good and they work great with little modding. and some stuff like cutting a hole in your air box lid and glueing or riviting a outerwear on it and stuff like that. i'll post some pics of my mods.

j450rking
12-01-2007, 08:33 PM

j450rking
12-01-2007, 08:37 PM
oh a nice rebuildable stick steerling stableizer would be good too and a magura hydro clutch (they are vary nice)

here is a pic of a cbr 1100 oil cooler in my ex that i built last winter. it's a nice mod for keeping your ex cool and theres not alot you have to do as far as fabrication. all you have to do it make a line exstention and thats it

j450rking
12-01-2007, 08:42 PM

250exkid
12-01-2007, 08:49 PM
yea i was thinking of the air scoops... heres a couple pics of my quad one with out my new bumper and one with it

250exkid
12-01-2007, 08:50 PM
new bumper

j450rking
12-01-2007, 10:03 PM
looks pretty stock:D i think some oversized handlebars would be good too, and some 450r shocks up front would be really good you can get them for under $200 or yfz 450 shocks will work too you just have to shave the top mounts witch is easy i did it once and just used a hack saw and they came out pretty good and they are better for mx but the 450r ones are better for trails eather way you can't go wrong. og and you know what i just remembered i am going to sell my rear stock shock that i had elka revalve and respring to a dual rate it's setup for a 225lb rider if you are interested. other then that i can't think of anything else but i will later. heres a pic of my ex for ****s and giggles:blah:

j450rking
12-01-2007, 10:09 PM
oh and i did the mean eyes thing too but i used elec tape and didn't have to pay anything. oh and polishing and painting parts like heat sheild and motor mounts works well too

440challenger
12-02-2007, 06:33 AM
450 pegs and slip on.
Hand gaurds,tires?

Hondamaster5505
12-02-2007, 12:56 PM
itp c-series rims look cool and are very strong! i ahve em

250exkid
12-02-2007, 01:19 PM
alright sweet, i might go and do the electrical tape thing now!.... umm for the shocks 200$ and under are perfect! so i do woods riding and occasionally jump, so it sounds like stock 450r shocks are better for me then the yfz450 shocks? and do i have to get them all revalved and resprung to work best? and how hard is it to put the air scoops on?

honda8&3
12-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Air scoops aren't hard at all. I'd go with Tinners. Hes a guy on this site PM him they look pretty nice IMO. Good price and all the hardware and will give you some directions too.:cool: Resprung and Revalved 450rs work excellent but you don't have to. Eviltanker has stock YFZ shocks and he says they work great. You won't have any problems with bottoming out and you can dadjust them so just buy stock for now then if you want to later on then get them rebuilt by C&DRacing.;)

250exkid
12-02-2007, 01:26 PM
alright sweet thanks

Unverfehrt400ex
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
hargaurds are always a good cheap investment. skid plates are great to have too. best investment i ever made for woods riding though was the Razr2 tires. hold up longer than any tire ive ever had and the 6 ply is great. dont do too bad in the mud either.

12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
everything depends on the riding you will be doing. look at the mods I have and its a great woods setup, the only things more I will be doing to my 400ex is getting 450r front shocks and later down the road get all 3 shocks revalved and resprung, maybe +1 a-arms, a steering stabilizer and razr rear tires. Skid plates do add on quite a bit of extra weight but when i hear sticks, stumps, or rocks making a clinging noise on my skid plate i feel safe knowing they are hitting a piece of metal and nothing important.

j450rking
12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
lol i sold eviltanker those yfz shocks:D and razrs are great but it looks like you stockers are still pretty good so i wouldn't worry about tires yet.

nick249420
12-03-2007, 06:56 AM
i didnt have the money for rims so i taped my stock ones off and bought black wheel paint from auto zone sprayed them black
ill post a pic later today

250exkid
12-03-2007, 02:33 PM
nice

Brauap
12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by honda8&3
Air scoops aren't hard at all. I'd go with Tinners. Hes a guy on this site PM him they look pretty nice IMO. Good price and all the hardware and will give you some directions too.:cool: Resprung and Revalved 450rs work excellent but you don't have to. Eviltanker has stock YFZ shocks and he says they work great. You won't have any problems with bottoming out and you can dadjust them so just buy stock for now then if you want to later on then get them rebuilt by C&DRacing.;)

I heard that you can change the 400ex shocks into the 450R but can your change them into a YFZ450 also? If so what works best? Does it add hight to the quad?

Thanks SOOO Much!!

nick249420
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
little over spray on the tires

red_rider_069
12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
i been thinking about doing that.. but idk.. i think they'll get the paint scratched off and ruin the look.. tell me what happens.. oh yea and i would get air scoops, hand guards.. aftermarket handle bars with a block pad.. so yea.. umm stickers im ont a fan of.. but i'd get nerf bars!.. idk whatelse.. i got blue head lights :D.. looks nice at night.. DO YOU NIGHT RIDE? I DO.. BLUE LIGHTS NICE

nick249420
12-04-2007, 03:47 PM
i went riding for a whole weekend fri - sunday paint didnt chip off until the bead broke on my tire causing me to flip down the hill ..i chip was smaller then a dime
BTW it hit about 10 trees and rolled over a section of rocks ..so i guess its pretty good

the paint is made for rims
and i put about 4 coats of clear on it

i had the nerfs and bumper sprayed with rhino lining
at ziebart

it costed me 60 bucks
only thing that sucked was drilling the holes back out bc the rubber filled it in that stuff is nice though i can hit it with a hammer n it doesnt chip or scratch

nick249420
12-04-2007, 03:50 PM
i went riding for a whole weekend fri - sunday paint didnt chip off until the bead broke on my tire causing me to flip down the hill ..i chip was smaller then a dime
BTW it hit about 10 trees and rolled over a section of rocks ..so i guess its pretty good

250exkid
12-04-2007, 04:09 PM
nice you should get a pic at night with ur head lights.... i might actually buy them cuase i do alot of night riding... DUDE you gotta get a pic of your quad u flip! thats gotta suck tho all that work and go through the roll over...pics guys helps alot more and thanks again for ideas anymore?

red_rider_069
12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by nick249420

oh.. well i think i might try it.. sounds like a cheap mod :D.. yea post some pics

Dave_989
12-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
looks pretty stock:D i think some oversized handlebars would be good too, and some 450r shocks up front would be really good you can get them for under $200 or yfz 450 shocks will work too you just have to shave the top mounts witch is easy i did it once and just used a hack saw and they came out pretty good and they are better for mx but the 450r ones are better for trails eather way you can't go wrong. og and you know what i just remembered i am going to sell my rear stock shock that i had elka revalve and respring to a dual rate it's setup for a 225lb rider if you are interested. other then that i can't think of anything else but i will later. heres a pic of my ex for ****s and giggles:blah:

how much do want for the shock???