PDA

View Full Version : jetting problems

svsuper
12-01-2007, 03:46 PM
So i rejetted my quad using the JD kit. Put in a 170 main jet, red needle with on the 3rd postition from the top and small o ring.. when I hit full throttle it bogs, like it's too rich. if let gradually build it up to wot i can see it spit fire, looks kinda cool at night, but not really happy. I'm running with no lid and k&n and hmf pipe. Any help would be appreciated

svsuper
12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Ok I was really rich, jumped down to a 165 main jet. left the needle and clip alone and put on a fuel adjustment screw, still spits fire at when you open it wide up, i'll have to see how it runs tomorrow. neighbors tend to get a little pissy when i ride @ here after dark.

eerhard09
12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
You should be on the 4th or 5th clip, not the 3rd, especially at roughly 400ft elevation. Are you running with the exhaust open and is your airbox lid off or on? You need to give more information in order for people to help you out more. Let us know....

svsuper
12-02-2007, 04:37 PM
No lid on the box, have the the arrestor in the pipe. 165 seems to running ok, need to move the clip, to see what happens.

eerhard09
12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I would look into spending the $40 to pick up one of those endcaps from ebay so that you can uncork the exhaust. That is a huge choke point and having the lid open right now may not be worth it. Once the exhaust is open, lid off, and the JD Jet Kit jetted correctly, you should be running pretty good! The concensus seems to be lid off, open exhaust, red needle on 4th or 5th clip, a 168-170 main, and stock settings on the fuel screw and pilot. Good luck!

svsuper
12-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I can remove the arrestor, I just put it in the pipe. I'll move the clip and uncork the pipe and see what happens....

eerhard09
12-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey, I need to apologize, I didn't see that you were running an HMF on there when I wrote that last post. I actually just put on a K&N on and an EHS lid with my HMF and here is what I am at in the cold with the sparky in it.

Main: 170
Pilot: Stock
O-Ring: thick
Fuel Screw: 1.5 turns out (stock is 2.5)
Needle: Blue on third clip (used only in cold temps) Red on 4th or 5th should work in temps above 50 degrees.

My fuel screw made a big difference with these settings. It ran like crap at 2.5 turns out and wanted to bog really bad when I let off of the throttle. Once I adjusted the screw, that went away.

svsuper
12-02-2007, 07:36 PM
No worries. I appreciate all the help I can get. I'll get around to moving the clip here in a couple day. I won't have any time to ride in the next few weeks anyways, so I have plenty of time to do it. I threw the fuel screw on, although it's still a pain to get to adjust it, but it is definately better than it was.

bossman525
12-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by eerhard09
Hey, I need to apologize, I didn't see that you were running an HMF on there when I wrote that last post. I actually just put on a K&N on and an EHS lid with my HMF and here is what I am at in the cold with the sparky in it.

Main: 170
Pilot: Stock
O-Ring: thick
Fuel Screw: 1.5 turns out (stock is 2.5)
Needle: Blue on third clip (used only in cold temps) Red on 4th or 5th should work in temps above 50 degrees.

My fuel screw made a big difference with these settings. It ran like crap at 2.5 turns out and wanted to bog really bad when I let off of the throttle. Once I adjusted the screw, that went away.
eerhard, how loud is that hmf?? i was going to get one a while back than canceled the order when i went riding with a guy that had a hmf. it was real obnoxcious. do you have the quite core in it? i really want a hmf because they seem to be pretty cheap price wise and i heard they make good power, but i hate real loud pipes.

svsuper
12-05-2007, 08:04 AM
I have an HMF slip-on my on outlaw and it's not too loud. Definately a little louder than stock but you know it's a 4 stroke thumper coming when you hear it run. I personally like it the new exhaust note.

eerhard09
12-05-2007, 08:45 AM
I am not sure which HMF svsuper is running but I am running the old elliptical style, not the new round cans they are offering for the 525. As far as the sound, it is actually quieter than the stock exhaust with the baffle removed and the e-bay end cap installed. It was enough of a sound difference that my brother noticed it being quieter before he noticed I got the HMF installed on it.

svsuper
12-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Mine is the elliptical pipe. I never removed the baffle out of my stocker so it is a bit louder than stock.