PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint Remover

smorris1
12-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I am painting the a-arms on my bike and I am having trouble getting the a-arm ball joint's off. I know they make a ball joint remover tool but is there any other way to pop them out?

Pipeless416
12-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by smorris1
I am painting the a-arms on my bike and I am having trouble getting the a-arm ball joint's off. I know they make a ball joint remover tool but is there any other way to pop them out?

im pretty sure stock ball joints are not removable. this is also why they cant be powercoated. when i painted my and my brothers a-arms with spray paint, i just taped off the ball joints.

babiak400ex
12-01-2007, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pipeless416
[B]im pretty sure stock ball joints are not removable. this is also why they cant be powercoated. when i painted my and my brothers a-arms with spray paint, i just taped off the ball joints.

This is correct the ball joint is integral to the control arm. If there is ever a problem with the ball joint you have to get a whole new arm. I powder coated my frame and just painted my a arms .

babiak400ex
12-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I might have misunderstood. You can get the ball joint loose from the steering Knukle with the speacial tool. But you cannot get the ball joint out the a arm itself. I did have trouble getting mine out of the steering knuckle / spindle without the recommended tools. I ended up setting the knuckle on a hard suface like an anvil and hitting the nuckle with a hammer outside of the ball joint shaft just hard enough for the shaft to come loose from the knucke. CAUTION !! THIS COULD RESULT BREAKING THE KNUCKLE. But that is how I got mine loose. Sometime you just have to improvise The removeal tool is the best solution.

Ruby Soho
12-01-2007, 02:39 PM
mine were a problem at first, but i just held up the knuckle and hit the bottom a-arm with a rubber mallet and it popped out, then for the upper i did the same but flipped it upside down