PDA

View Full Version : Need to keep up

mdslight
11-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey guys I need some info on what I need to do to catch the 450 guys. I line my 250 up on the hill and just get eatin up. I am ready to tear this thing down and make it hual. Where would be a good place to start and who has the best kits. Also I had a good crash the other day and bent my sub-frame a little. It looks to be like half an inch off to the left. What do you guys do to fix this. Should I cut it off and get a bolt on. Do they make a bolt on? Any help would be great. Thanks

By the way I have a 87 trx250r

TheNewn
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
It would help knowing what is all done to the motor so far :) is it all stock? How much are you able to spend?

Look into ESR 310 or 330 powervalve kits, or CT racing...what is it...Pro-X? i've forgotten the names.

As for the sub frame, i'd try to bend it back if i could. I dont know of anyone that makes after market sub frames that bolt on easy to stock ones. but you could probably make ti work without too much difficulty if you knew how to weld.

criminalpoet
11-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Well you dont really need an aftermarket engine kit to beat 450s, just a good portjob by a knowledgable builder, bigger carb, aftermarket pipe, good aftermarket filter, higher compression, and run race fuel with a good premix like Amsoil.

1 Dir Racing built my last motor and with their MX/Dune port, 1 Dir Racing cool head,1 Dir Racing G-3 reed valve, 39mm Keihin A/S carb, PT high rev pipe combo, K&N filter and long rod I got 52hp with 32ftlbs of torque. I ate 450's! My motor is now back at 1 Dir Racing getting their pre-pusher engine design which im told is going to take me up to 60hp with 38-40ftlbs of torque and rev upto 10,000 rpms. Bye Bye 450s! And I can still add another 5-7hp with one of their custom built pipes too, but I can only afford so much before Christmas lol. A stock cylinder can put out some good power if built by the right shop. Taller gearing is also a must when racing fart cans too, because those 4 pokes really do put out some mph.

Eddiesanders250
11-30-2007, 06:47 PM
If you wanna beat some 450s put a 350 cylinder on there. Ct or ESR both pro x. get ESRs trx11 pipe have neil from cleigh racing port your cylinder....... It wont be a contest anymore, its embarassing when you race those 450s they are so far back.

mdslight
12-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info guys. My bike is stock by the way. I was looking at the subframe this weekend. The thing is tweaked good. I guess I am going to take a sledge to it and see what happens. Thanks again

mc_racer
12-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by mdslight
take a sledge to it and see what happens. Thanks again
I don't know if your are serious about this, but if you are I'd recommend a different approach. If you try to hammer it straight, you will likely just flatten or bend the part you are hitting.
First, you need to pull off the plastic and such attached to the subframe. Spend some time looking and measuring the bend. Find out exactly which direction it is bent and how far. Then heat the bent area with a torch and pull it back straight. You may need to fasten the frame to something solid. A large rachet strap works well for pulling it back straight. Just make sure you use even heat, support the part that isn't bent and pull in the exact direction to get it straight.

bushwesl
12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mc_racer
I don't know if your are serious about this, but if you are I'd recommend a different approach. If you try to hammer it straight, you will likely just flatten or bend the part you are hitting.
First, you need to pull off the plastic and such attached to the subframe. Spend some time looking and measuring the bend. Find out exactly which direction it is bent and how far. Then heat the bent area with a torch and pull it back straight. You may need to fasten the frame to something solid. A large rachet strap works well for pulling it back straight. Just make sure you use even heat, support the part that isn't bent and pull in the exact direction to get it straight.

To further expand upon this... When I was younger I remember my dad helping a friend straighten a subframe. They used the method described above. They secured the quad/frame, etc to a tree using various straps, etc, and then attached a come-a-long to another tree and then to the area of the subframe that was bent. Then they heated the area that was bent and pulled the frame back in place using the come-a-long. This method seemed to work well and put the frame back in good, rideable condition. Keep in mind that you'll probably never get the frame exactly back to square like it originally was, but will only be able to get it close.

mdslight
12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Has anyone cut the subframe off and welded some tabs to install a bolt on of some sort? Just asking.

TheNewn
12-03-2007, 06:43 PM
I've not seen anyone doing it myself, i heard about it a couple times. I don't think it would be that hard to accomplish.

Probably worth trying if you cant bend the old one back?