PDA

View Full Version : tire question (not a "what to get" thread)

trx400EXtreme
11-30-2007, 04:07 PM
ok, when i got my 400ex about two years ago i got a bunch of extras with it. one thing was a set of rear tires not on rims (stock 450r tires). i dont know if they hold air or not. my queston...... is there a way to tell if they hold air without putting them on rims?

TRX450RACER174
11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
No plain and simple, you have to have them on wheels cause sometimes a puncture can be to small to see and then it will expand when you put air in the tire.

400exrider707
12-01-2007, 10:22 AM
You could take the tire and put it in a tub of water and roll it around like it was driving across the top of the water. Push it down in a little ways, but not far enough for the water to fill into the tire. If there is a leak,it will probably bubble water in. It may not be enough pressure to tell for sure though, but it would certainly show you right away if you have any bad holes, like an already plugged hole that may be leaking, other than that, you'd have to put it on a rim and fill it up to tell.

<DRS>GPF
12-01-2007, 10:39 AM
while its still under the air pressure used to seat the bead, just dunk it as mentioned above.
itll be pretty high air pressure and will show any puncture or a leak on a seam..

unless theres a sidewall problem, just plug any hole you find and voila! perfect turf/trail/creek tires to go.

edit:
be sure to let the air out before plugging though..(had to be sure you knew..lol)