PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Rims

jesseweaver
11-30-2007, 03:01 PM
i was riding yesterday, and when i landed, i landed a little whiped out, and i ripped the nuts that hold the rim on right through the rim, as you can see:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/001_3400.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/001_3399.jpg

so my question is, if i put a bigger washer over these, will it hold up for next weekend, cause were going to the cabin, and ill be riding a lot (but not much jumping)? i plan on getting new rims anyway, so im not worried about ripping them apart.

gcart2
11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
id say u need to run to a local honda and gety a wheel. i have had a wheel come off the hub and it hurt me bad. so to answer your questionn.. u need a new wheel

maxfior
11-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't ride on those rims unless you have a death wish... :( When you get new rims PLEASE make sure to check the lugs. They had to have gotten loose when you were riding and you kept riding making the rims holes wallowed out. Loctite would help (with the NEW rims and lugs), but you need to always check lugs. Glad you are aiiight and didn't get hurt.

Max

underpowered
11-30-2007, 03:36 PM
dumb question, how did you have your lug nuts turned? tapered side in towards the wheel or out away from the wheel.

on those wheels the tapered side should be out with the flat side of the lug nut against the wheel. that may have been your problem in the first place.

but to your question, DO NOT use that wheel. 1: you can never get it centered right with the holes looking like that. 2: less surface area to support the quad, less strength, better chance of

250exkid
11-30-2007, 03:55 PM
but like 2 washers on it and torq it down.. just dont run the piss outta your fourwheeler tho just dont jump and go sideways to much but you will be fine with to hardend washers

maxfior
11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by 250exkid
but like 2 washers on it and torq it down.. just dont run the piss outta your fourwheeler tho just dont jump and go sideways to much but you will be fine with to hardend washers

I would not recommend doing this. The metal is SO thin that even if you had the rim back on and it seemed okay, the metal could break and the rim would send you flying. I've seen this happen to older rims on 3wheelers and it's not fun to watch your buds flipping over and flying into trees. Is it worth a chance to you, to hurt your self? If you get hurt, then you'll have to wait even longer to ride. Unless you die, then you'll never ride again. :( Sorry for being so morbid, but if your machine isn't 100% ready to ride, DON'T RIDE IT! Just my $0.02. So feel free to do whatever...

Max

honda400exr
11-30-2007, 04:28 PM
hey dude if by next weekend you mean december 7, 8, and 9. I've got a full set of spare rims in the garage... I live in PA and I'd be willing to let you use them for the weekend or buy them if you want...I'd have to check but I think they're just stockers can't remember cause they came on the quad when I got it and it was used.

either way if you don't live too far away you're more than welcome to use them for the weekend. I'd rather help ya out so you can ride safe than use that one and maybe get hurt.

just let me know and we can arrange something if you wanna use them

maxfior
11-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by honda400exr
hey dude if by next weekend you mean december 7, 8, and 9. I've got a full set of spare rims in the garage... I live in PA and I'd be willing to let you use them for the weekend or buy them if you want...I'd have to check but I think they're just stockers can't remember cause they came on the quad when I got it and it was used.

either way if you don't live too far away you're more than welcome to use them for the weekend. I'd rather help ya out so you can ride safe than use that one and maybe get hurt.

That's REALLY nice of you man! This is a great forum! 400EX brother-hood! :D
---
....time to forage for dinner... Hope jesseweaver takes you up on the spare rims, but you might want to tell him; "you break 'em you bought 'em" :)

M.

jesseweaver
11-30-2007, 04:46 PM
tapered side out? opps, better go fix my other rim

Originally posted by honda400exr

wow dude thanks a lot, but im going to roll out to the honda place right down the road, prolly pick up a new pair of rims, but thanks a lot for the offer. where do you live, just incase i dont get new rims?

00.400ex#55
11-30-2007, 05:43 PM
nuts came loose, simple as that. hapend to me aswell. i torqued mine to spec but i never recheked them and after a few hours it came of around a corner. looks almost identical to yours. and check your lugs. i had to rethread mine because they didnt look so good.

honda400exr
12-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I live in lewisburg dunno how far you are from here but they're here if ya don't get a pair.

86 Quad R
12-03-2007, 09:36 AM
based on the pictures he was running the nuts with the flat side in as he should have been but, wasnt using any washers at all. washers should be used on any of the aftermarket wheels because the aluminum is too soft and will allow the nuts to pull through regardless of how tight ya torque them.

when selecting washers make sure that that are of the thivker variety

Ridiculous
12-03-2007, 09:48 AM
is that for real about the tapered side out??? i just got new tires and rims and i don't want that to happen to me. if it's for real, what do i need to do, turn them around and get heavy duty washers or what???

here's a pic of my rims too, they're itp! thanks guys

86 Quad R
12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
your rims have tappered sockets for the tappered lug nuts? if so, then you shouldnt have to worry about it but, if you have the regular itp's that are of the softer material and dont have the tapper. then i would flip the nuts and add washers.

Ridiculous
12-03-2007, 11:22 AM
no they are just the regular itp rims, so what size are these studs so i can pick up some washers on the way home?

CarGuy7a
12-03-2007, 03:34 PM
i did the same thing about flipping the lugs on my Douglas .190's. over time torquing the lugs on the taper against the flat wheel will weaken the nut itself and destroy a wheel.

12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
dumb question, how did you have your lug nuts turned? tapered side in towards the wheel or out away from the wheel.

on those wheels the tapered side should be out with the flat side of the lug nut against the wheel. that may have been your problem in the first place.

but to your question, DO NOT use that wheel. 1: you can never get it centered right with the holes looking like that. 2: less surface area to support the quad, less strength, better chance of

the tapered end is supposed to fit in the hole to center the wheel on the hub and make it so the wheel will not move around and such. Tapered end always goes in the holes.

Exrider434
12-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
the tapered end is supposed to fit in the hole to center the wheel on the hub and make it so the wheel will not move around and such. Tapered end always goes in the holes.

thats only on stock rims. Aftermarket rims dont have the tapered hole on them. The aftermarket have a whole just big enough to go onto the studs.

12-03-2007, 05:23 PM
oh i had no clue, well i learned something new thanks

JOEX
12-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
thats only on stock rims. Aftermarket rims dont have the tapered hole on them. The aftermarket have a whole just big enough to go onto the studs.
I belive there are a few aftermarket rims that have the 'tapered hole' like stock rims.;)

86 Quad R
12-03-2007, 10:34 PM
yuppers. you are correct.

2old2race
12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Where are you in PA?
I have a complete set of OE wheels/tires for sale.
One of the rear tires has a slice. Everything else is in very good condition.

NacsMXer
12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
based on the pictures he was running the nuts with the flat side in as he should have been

Look again, in the 2nd pic the lug nut is clearly flat side out. This is why the lug nuts came loose, they weren't torqued properly because they were flipped the wrong way.

To the OP, if you still have your stock rims, look at the holes in them. They have steel sleeves lining each hole for the tapered side of the lug nut to bite into. Look at your aftermarket aluminum rims, they lack this sleeve. Therefore, you CANNOT run the lug nuts tapered side in, they will excessively bite into the holes or come loose causing the damage you see here. Yes, some aftermarket rims have a sleeve integrated so you can run the lug nuts tapered side in, but the majority of them do not.

For example, on my quad I run stock fronts with Hiper rears. The fronts get the tapered side in and the rears get the tapered side out.

Anybody who is running their lug nuts like this should use this example to their advantage.

86 Quad R
12-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Look again, in the 2nd pic the lug nut is clearly flat side out.

may very well be. i based my opinion on both pics. the first showing a much shinnier rim which led me to believe that was the face side and in the second pic the rim is dull and stained with mud. not to mention the imprint of the hub. :huh :confused: :rolleyes: i dunno

regardless........... they are FUBAR. :blah: