PDA

View Full Version : New to me R, problem. ???

f4istunna
11-30-2007, 12:46 PM
just picked up a 86 250r last night. I was pumped to ride it today since its my first R

decided todo a compression test, clean the air filter, new plug, fresh gas, and fresh tranny oil before i went out and rode it, just to be safe (never know how well previous owners care for stuff no matter what they say)

The guy i got it from said it had a fresh rebuild when he bought it just under a year ago. Also said he just recently replaced the clutch.

well i started it (fires up first kick) to let it warm up a bit before i drained the crankcase and the rest of the little tune up. It was cold so i ran in the house to grab a jacket. I came back out and heard it idling high (a good bit higher than it was when i ran in the house) I looked down and oil was spitting out from underneath somewhere. So i killed it immediately, I havent taken the skid off to check exactly where but im guessing overflow. The puddle on the garage floor had a familiar sparkle to it :mad:

Proceded to drain the oil and it had a good amount of small shavings in it. I havent messed w/ it since, im not too familair w/ 2 strokes so figured id get some suggestions first. Im hoping this isnt a crank bearing:confused: I cant afford that at all right now.

Could the shavings possibly be from the new clutch he put in? If he hasnt changed the oil since?

When i took it for a test ride it ran good and idled good figures as soon as i get it home something would happen.

Im assumung an air leak is causing it to idle high? didnt do it the first few mins of running though, just after it warmed up.

What would make the oil pour out of the overflow? it quit when i **** it down , and there was still a decent amount of oil in the case. Maybe he overfilled??

Any help is much appreciated. In the meantime im probably going to add fresh oil, and do the compression test to get an idea of the topend.

Was really hoping to not get into the motor on this until my raptor is done:grr: Damn thing ripped on my test ride, didnt feel like it lacked any power or any unusual noises or anything.

chris46250r
11-30-2007, 01:17 PM
The shavings would be from new clutch componenets if he hadn't changed the oil since. The only time my R blew oil out the vent tube was when the crank bearing went bad.:confused:

f4istunna
11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I was thinking thatthey were fromt he clutch (well hoping), but thats what i was afraid of w/ oil overflowing.

Wish there was a way to be sure w/out tearing the motor down.:(

I was hoping to at least get a few rides on it before i tore it down. Because once its tore down its probably going to be awhile before its all back together

While its down i might as well set it up, powdercoat, shocks, mild motor build etc.

Just dont have the extra money for it right now :mad:

250r4life
11-30-2007, 03:05 PM
could just be as simple as the new clutch and too much oil- so thats why it is coming out...

f4istunna
11-30-2007, 03:30 PM
i sure hope so lol. I just got back home, so im gonna start the woodburner in the garage and go play w/ it.

He has ridden it quite a bit, and i left it run at his place when i bought it yesterdat for about 15-20 mins (wanted it to warm up good and make sure didnt overheat and have any problems when warm, which it didnt seem to)

Ill keep you guys posted

thanks.

ps the oil had a slight grayish tint to some of it which led me to believe water in the oil but the water level isnt down any??

Thats the trouble w/ buying used hard to know what your gettin into.

what about the high revving once it got warm? Air leak somewhere? It idled perfect when cold, didnt seem to idle higher until it got warm...

f4istunna
11-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Just went out and did compression test. Did it 3 times (cold motor, because i didnt want to run it until i found out what the problem was)

got a hair over 160psi each time so roughly 162 id say

Needle stopped moving after about 5 kicks. throttle open.

Is 160 good for stock R?

I plan on makin this a xc/woods bike so planned on doing the 88 crank and piston, and cr gasket, and prob trx 5 pipe w/ porting. but was hoping to get a few months out of it as is before i had to tear it down since i dont have the cash now.

Anyone else have any ideas on why oil would overflow and it would rev high after warming up? which im assuming is airleak but where is common places to look?

remember the oil didnt overflow yesterday when i test rode it and let it idle for awhile. I did nothing different other than being a few hours away from where i rode it last time lol.

f4istunna
11-30-2007, 08:20 PM
I know it doesnt have anything to do w/ the problem but i tore the carb down to get an idea of what the previous owner was running and clean it out good.

160 main sound right. Stock motor (maybe next bore up) as far as i know. Fmf gold w/ fmf slipon. k&n filter, stock box w/ lid on.

Im gonna try and run it tomorrow for a few minutes w/right amount of fresh oil and premix, and see if it was just overfilled by chance and shavings from new clutch he did.

I checked all the boots from carb-airbox no leaks there. Any other common spots? Looks like pipe to cylinder joint is leaking a bit would that cause high idle when warm?

Dave83
12-01-2007, 10:02 AM
My oil is "sparkly" everytime I change it.I use the clutch alot,perfectly normal.The gray tint is pretty normal too.Your compression isnt bad for a stock cylinder that was cold.The oil that you saw,are sure it was from the crankcase vent and not a carb overflow(maybe fuel?)The high idle could be an air leak or it could be in the jetting.It may have "cleaned up" when it got warm and be a little on the lean side,especially if the temperature has dropped where you live.Get your fluids changed and ride it.Do a plug chop to check the jetting.

f4istunna
12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
i didnt have time to mess w/ it yet but i will do that. Its definately straight oil that overflowed not premix out of the carb.

What you said makes me feel a little better about it but.... doesnt seem right to me.

main jet is a 160 i forgot the pilot. the screw is 1 1/2 turns out.

fmf gold series pipe and fmf silencer, k&n filter w/ stock box and lid. still has snorkel. and assuming the motor is stock or just on next bore.

Is it close to what it should be?

thanks for the reply

Dave83
12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
You may have to jet up a little for winter riding.Id ditch the K&N and get a good foam filter(Uni,No Toil,etc...)I always found grit in my box to carb boot with the K&N,and on advice I got on these sites,went to a Uni and no more dirt in boot.If you think that an airleak is causing you problems,you could try putting in new crank seals without splitting the cases.Id go with some plug chops and if they look good with your current jetting,Id say an airleak can be eliminated.If it was sucking enough air to force oil from the crankcase,I think youd be so lean with a 160 main,that it wouldnt run.Did you refill the tranny oil until it came out the level plug?A ran engine should hold between 600 and 650cc of oil,a brand new one will hold a little more the first time you put oil in.

f4istunna
12-01-2007, 02:58 PM
i havent even done anything to it yet. It had however much previous owner had. Im going to try and get time to get out there tomorrow and fill w/oil. I already planned on putting a uni in i always switch to foam if it has k&n in a bike when i buy it. I dont trust kn's either.

thanks for the help

j28d
12-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Does your airbox have a ring in it? It sounds like the filter collapsed the airbox tube a little, mine idled high right before I torched a piston because the airbox tube was leaking where I tightened the K&N on with no ring.

f4istunna
12-01-2007, 05:10 PM
ill know tomorrow when i put it back together, i dont remember a ring. But ill be sure theres no leaks coming from around the airbox and check the gaskets for leaks also

j28d
12-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Cool, let me know how the raptor +2 stem works out. I have a 86 good running 250r motor you can ride around before buying(I'm in Akron) and also have 2 extra jugs(both ported for low-mid power but needs piston and rings, the other one is a fresh inland atv jug with almost new piston(less then 10 hrs on it). The jug currently on it is for all around power and rips, however it need a piston and bore. I'm in Akron, I could trade the motor+cash for your banshee or motor+raptor x6 full system and some other stuff for your banshee.

f4istunna
12-03-2007, 11:20 PM
already sold the shee or we could of worked something out for sure.

Ill let you know when the stem gets here thanks man

j28d
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
How about my good running motor with the fresh jug/piston(low-mid port) for your motor+cash? Like I said, you can test ride it before buying, and if you want I can install it so you can ride it around before you leave.

f4istunna
12-04-2007, 08:34 PM
how much $$ u talking. what crank is in it?

Got the raptor stem today and put it in. I think i need the steering flag and tie rod ends, mine slides over it but has a ton of play back and forth. It was in the pic i thought it came w/ Can you send it

thanks

j28d
12-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I'll look through the garage. My buddy ships the stuff out, I find the bikes, strip the bikes and list them. I just looked and can't find them, I'll look again tomorrow when I clean and organize the garage. The motor is a 86 short rod motor with a new clutch, new pe basket, 89 update kit, mint cases, and a nice casesaver. Give me a call and we can discuss price. I'll let you know tomorrow about the bottom piece, I can't find the auction to see if they're in the picture or not. If they're still here, I can mail them out, if not I'll be parting out another Raptor later this week and will take it off of there. The jug currently on the motor is ported for all-around but needs a bore, I have fresh Inland atv low-mid ported jug I can throw on it(bore and piston have less than 10 hrs) so it's ready to go for woods riding. You can test ride it, I can yank the motor in about a 1/2 hour and have the other jug on it in another 20 minutes. Let me know, did you ever figure out if you have a airbox ring in your airbox?

f4istunna
12-04-2007, 11:57 PM
ya i got the airleak thing figured out i think. I cleaned the carb, reeds, all the air tubes, box, filter, new gas lines, put it all back together and didnt seems to idle up at all and no oil overflowing.

Just had the clutch chatter and what sounded like bottom end noise, but few ppl told me its normal ??? It wont start now i think i fouled the plug from letting it idle so much, plus it needs jetted right. Im gonna get some plugs in the next day or 2 and mess w/ it a little more.

i really want to do the long rod oem setup but we'll see what we can work out

thanks man