PDA

View Full Version : 400ex ticks only when cold...

slow96hater
11-30-2007, 10:26 AM
it just started doing it a coupla days ago. i almost sounds like valve tick. is it possiable for the decompressor to stick till the motor is warmed up a little? the tick goes away after about 2 minutes worth of rideing, and the motor returns to normal sound.
any idead other then the decompressor?

thanks guys.

drew416ex
11-30-2007, 11:31 AM
How long has it been since you adjusted the valves?

maxfior
11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah I too would make sure you check the valve specs. But also, what I do is let mine warm up inside the garage for 10 minutes (just letting it idle) before I hammer it. You want to make sure that oil is good and hot when roosting in the cold! Chain and bearings also will take some time to get ready for a blitz too...

Max

Pipeless416
11-30-2007, 01:12 PM
yea kinda what max said. colder temps cause the oil to thicken, which in turn takes longer for it to warm up and get up into the head and valvetrain.

slow96hater
11-30-2007, 02:20 PM
my valves just got adjusted probally a month ago. i would of thought hey, valves, but the tick goes away.

my quad chills in a 50 degree climate controlled garage, and yes, letting it warm up is something i do before hammering on it, but i cruise around my back yard at low rpm's to get it warm. like i said, it stops after 2 minutes worth of rideing.

i guess i'll just have to pull it apart and look everything over.

thanks guys

maxfior
11-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by slow96hater
my valves just got adjusted probally a month ago. i would of thought hey, valves, but the tick goes away.

my quad chills in a 50 degree climate controlled garage, and yes, letting it warm up is something i do before hammering on it, but i cruise around my back yard at low rpm's to get it warm. like i said, it stops after 2 minutes worth of rideing.

i guess i'll just have to pull it apart and look everything over.

thanks guys

Sounds good, yeah I bet it's just a valve adjustment... Just wondering though; what year is your EX and when was the last time you did a adjustment to the valves? Man, I wish I had a garage at 50* then maybe I could get some more work done... I have to burn wood in scary double drum stove to get my shop warm...:ermm:

Max

red_rider_069
11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
when i dont let my quad warm up it ticks.. its weird.. and it will continue to tick if ijust take off.. jsut let it warm up.. and when its really hot it starts to tick again.. its weird.. but im gonna check my vaulves as well but its nothing serious.. just make sure you check your vaulkves

drew416ex
11-30-2007, 02:55 PM
And also remember that the 400 is a loud engine anyways. It will pretty much always have a slight tick.

07400ex
11-30-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah mine ticks when its cold. especially now that its winter in ohio, i let it idle till its warm, plus use 10w-40 oil for the winter, 20-50 in summer