PDA

View Full Version : shot gun blast out my exhaust when trying to start

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Recently got into some water, i dont know if thats the problem or not but before I tear into it to figure out the problem, I figured id ask.

My plans are to put a new plug and clean the carb, but Im thinking it could be spark.

When Cranking over, it doesnt start but after about 5 seconds or so, it has a shot gun blast out the exhaust, extremely loud and flames, etc.

The bike is a stock 06eR

Im thinking its spark, probably cranking over and missing, then it fires and ignites the build up of fuel in the exhaust causing the blast.

also my battery is dead, so i need to get that goin, but what do you guys think about this?

maybe a coil or cdi box went bad.

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
I got some water in the airbox, and went into my crankcase but I cleaned it out before I rode it more, I had some oil in the airbox and soaked the filter so thats why I was thinking the carb clean...

wckedclownz69
11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
lol tht happend to me but tht was cuz of my jets.. loud and scary.. i fixed my jets put a new kit in and now it dont do it no more... when the air filter gets wet the thumb throttle will get tight and hard to push in... you mixture could be off to....

smithn1683
11-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Have you checked your valve clearances.

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by smithn1683
Have you checked your valve clearances.

Not yet, I dont have many hours on this bike yet, maybe 15-20 MAX.
-
Bike is stock, no mods yet so the jetting is more than likely fine.

bloodmoney23
11-30-2007, 01:13 PM
it is prolly your spark......or somewhere electrical. My wifes ATV did the same thing. But it would start and as soon as you hit the gas it was like shotgun blasts every couple seconds. so b4 you get crazy.....make sure your air filter is clean, drain the carb, put a new plug and coil in put back together and try......you should be good with that unless you fried the CDI box.

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
^ Best piece of advice yet.

I plan on doing that pretty soon.

Irritates me that it doesnt go well in water, anyone have a mod to somehow stop water from getting in the crank thru the breather, i tried buying an airfilter but the smallest one i could find was in parts unlimited and it was too big to fit in the airbox between the hose and the airfilter.

but i probably submerged the cdi or coil partially causing damage, i plan to pull the cdi and coil off my 05 and put them on my 06 once I get a new spark plug and battery and see which is my problem

bloodmoney23
11-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Honda_Matt
^ Best piece of advice yet.

I plan on doing that pretty soon.

Irritates me that it doesnt go well in water, anyone have a mod to somehow stop water from getting in the crank thru the breather, i tried buying an airfilter but the smallest one i could find was in parts unlimited and it was too big to fit in the airbox between the hose and the airfilter.

but i probably submerged the cdi or coil partially causing damage, i plan to pull the cdi and coil off my 05 and put them on my 06 once I get a new spark plug and battery and see which is my problem

they actually have crankcase breather filters on ebay pretty cheap. but if underwater enuf it dont help for crap but still better than just an open hose. i dont know of any other mods other than a filter.

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Thats what I bought was a crankcase breather.. its a small k&n style 1.5inch filter that goes inside the end of the hose, so I can either pull the house out of the airbox and put the filter on, leaving a decent size hole in my airbox id have to fill with something, or.... IDK

pro-rider46
11-30-2007, 02:10 PM
are you giving it gas before or during you hit the button. that causes back fires, most likely you cdi is fine, they can be soaked and be fine, even if it has a crack and it gets wet the are often still fine. dont give it any gas until its idling, it will hurt the bike,

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I never use the gas to start it, this is a new problem that has come about.

Its always started fine.

GIXXER1KR
11-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Your right the jettting probably is fine but have you tried adjusting you a/f screw????

d3ktrix
12-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Lol how deep was the water? Get it to float? :P

Like said above, clean the air filter, drain the carb, change the oil.

Is your oil milky?

Honda_Matt
12-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Milky oil, no

Floating, lol no

ill do that stuff and see what happens but im pretty sure its a spark problem...

Hondamaster5505
12-02-2007, 04:03 PM
your supposed to adjust valves after break-in and then 20hrs after that and than you pretty much do it whenever you think your valves are loud/ticking.

Mine are do for adjusting;)

wckedclownz69
12-03-2007, 07:24 AM
lol like i said try adjusting your a/f screw cuz ive submerged mine over the plastic with no airbox lid and it went fine just the air filter was wet and made a really stiff thumb throttle... but when my a/f screw was off it back fired real loud...