PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Front Braking Woes

Mxbubs
11-08-2002, 11:05 PM
I have new pads on my calipers. I think my rotors may be worn down close the limit. I have steel lines. My problem is my braking lever still feels mushy when I hit it. Its been so long since I rode, I forget if this is just the poor braking by single piston calipers I got used to. Is it? Would another model front brake fluidrezzy/pump/lever setup work better? Anyone tried anything else? I probably should just brake down and buy the 250r calipers with the adapters, and new rotors huh?:confused:

Evan
11-08-2002, 11:26 PM
I have the same problem. After checking my rotors the other day, I noticed everyone of them is warped. The fronts arent to bad but the rear is terrible. My front is really mushy too. But those rotors are paper thin so they heat up and warp easy. For next season I will have wave rotors with 250R calipers. A different master cylinder wont help, the 400ex has the best master cyl out there, better than the R. If you have 1k dollars laying around I saw a company making 4 PISTON caliper kits for the EX. YES FOUR piston calipers, for 1k, that gets you 3 calipers and rotors guranteed to stop on a dime.

forum
11-08-2002, 11:53 PM
I have a full set of 250r calipers, disc's and all the other braking system. I wanna put them on my Ex. I know the rears can go on. but the fronts can too. and they are better??? ALso do you guys know how to put the front and backs on???

Evan
11-09-2002, 12:02 AM
For the fronts if you are using the EX spindles, you will need the mounting brackets for the R calipers. They cost 200 dollars, you can buy them from baldwin racing or merrellxtreme. For the rear, just mount it like you would normally do. IMO if you are putting on 250R calipers, I would go ahead and upgrade the rotors while u are at it becuz the EX rotors are paper thin and warp easy.

Mxbubs
11-09-2002, 12:42 PM
To get the 250r caliper on the 400ex rear, Im pretty sure you need the 250r braking bracket(that piece that mounts onto the side of the swingarm), and a 250r rotor because it is shorter. I could be wrong, but I switched my 2 rears on my old 250r with my new 400ex, and I just went ahead and switch everything.

DGR Designs
11-09-2002, 01:46 PM
what do those wace rotors do? are they better? why?

boogiechile
11-18-2002, 10:58 AM
If you guys have a mushy feel that means there is still air in the lines. It does not matter what kind of system you have only air will make it mushy. It can be hard to get the air out of the system on atv brakes, especially the frt. Try bleeding them some more or using the self bleeding bleeder valves that are one way valves. If they are still mushy then rent , buy or borrow a reversve bleeder tool. To use it just pump most of the fluid out first. Then the tool hooks to the bleeder valve and pumps the fluid in from the bottom, when the master cyl is full you are done. I could not get my brakes to bleed good enough to not be at least a little mushy so I used the reverse bleeder. Brakes now hard as a rock.

forum
11-18-2002, 11:37 AM
So i need special mounting brakets for the front brakes?? And baldwin and merrel are the ones that make them. or are they just 250r mounts. ??

skinrider440
11-18-2002, 09:05 PM
my front brakes arent working right. when i redid my bike and took of the a arms i left the a arms, spindles, brakes, and calipers together but when i put them back on the right brake locks up like its supposed to but the left keeps on spinning it slow down some but they are not evenly working i have bled the lines like 15 times and still doesnt work. anyone know what the heck is the matter?

Mxbubs
11-20-2002, 02:34 PM
Mine is the same way right now.......one side stops alot faster than the other.....could be several things........worn down rotor, bad caliper.......air in that line? Im tired of fooling with mine, just gonna break down and get new rotors, and the 250r calipers.