PDA

View Full Version : Roll Design Front Suspension

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Alright guys, what I'm looking for are some opinions on the 04/05 Roll Design a arms and your thoughts on them. I'm thinking about switching over from JB to Roll on my race bike and throwing the JB arms on my practice bike.

I'm running PEP PB-1's right now on my race bike, so shock performance won't be an issue.

ALso if you have any pics of Roll front setups, feel free to post.

Thanks, Jay

tank69
11-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Roll makes some great stuff, very expensive, but good stuff. You may want to consider another brand and save some money. I saved $600 by going the Houser route and I could have gotten the Roll parts as cost! I desert race and the houser stuff is holding up GREAT!

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I have various brands of a arms and I'm not worried about the price, I just want to make sure I'm getting a good performing suspension. I have houser arms on my practice bike and will be getting rid of them.

Thanks, Jay

tank69
11-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Price wasn't an issue with me either, however, I do go after the best bang for my buck. In this case, the Roll's don't fit that criteria. The ROLL arms are heavier than nearly all their competitors and the heims are alot of maintenance. There is no advantage to the heim or ball joint arms, I've ridden both and there really is no difference.

If you have money to burn and you want to look cool, get the ROLL arms. Why do you not want another set of Housers?

400exrider707
11-30-2007, 10:44 AM
IMHO I think Roll Design is awesome, BUT, very over-priced, and I would never run a set of arms with Heims over an arm with sealed balljoints, JMO.:cool:

chad502ex
11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Suspension isn't my specialty,.... but you get what you pay...

From what i know of Roll, its the best,.... Roll has worked with HONDA with geometry on frames engine position and suspension, so they know their shiznit....

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
I've looked over and have run various sets of arms and honestly Houser is decent, but they would be one of the last sets I would purchase if I had a choice. They just dont' seem to be built like others and I personally like king pin joints better, but thats because I maintain them the way there supposed to be.

The only reason I have Houser on my practice bike right now is because I did a trade for my TT suspension and that is what the guy had to trade. I run full JB Racing suspension on my race bike right now and am very happy with there product, I'd just like to try something different. In the past I've run Walsh, Herrmann, JD Performance, Epic, JB Racing, and Burgard.

Some things that people also need to consider is that there is more to a arms than just the name, look, and design. The most important element other than strength is the leverage ratio, and some well known companies have been known to not have the best ratios out there which in turn will throw off your whole front end and make your suspension not function to its highest capabilities... This is why many riders constantly complain about there shocks being "way off" when they sometimes can attribute the "poor performing" front suspension to the arms themselves.....

Just my 02

THanks, Jay

chad502ex
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
I've looked over and have run various sets of arms and honestly Houser is decent, but they would be one of the last sets I would purchase if I had a choice. They just dont' seem to be built like others and I personally like king pin joints better, but thats because I maintain them the way there supposed to be.

The only reason I have Houser on my practice bike right now is because I did a trade for my TT suspension and that is what the guy had to trade. I run full JB Racing suspension on my race bike right now and am very happy with there product, I'd just like to try something different. In the past I've run Walsh, Herrmann, JD Performance, Epic, JB Racing, and Burgard.

Some things that people also need to consider is that there is more to a arms than just the name, look, and design. The most important element other than strength is the leverage ratio, and some well known companies have been known to not have the best ratios out there which in turn will throw off your whole front end and make your suspension not function to its highest capabilities... This is why many riders constantly complain about there shocks being "way off" when they sometimes can attribute the "poor performing" front suspension to the arms themselves.....

Just my 02

THanks, Jay

wow, great info and post,..

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Just to reinforce my previous post here is the defintion of "Leverage Ratio" in terms of the use of suspesion on ATV's.

A leverage ratio is the ratio of tire movement to shock shaft movement. If have a leverage ratio of 2:1 and your tire moves 10 inches then your shocks shaft will move 5 inches. This is a good reason why not to purchase a shock that was set up for another brand of A-Arm. Usually an A-Arm manufacturer will set the leverage ratio between 2.5:1 to 1.8:1, with the ideal ratio being 2:1 ....

~Jay

TRX450RACER174
11-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I rode Figair's hybrid he has a ROLL/AXIS LT and all i could say is wow, for a bike that i have never rode before this thing was awesome really easy to ride and handled great, i was hitting stuff i would never hit on other bikes with different L/T. If i had the money i would for sure buy that front end but i had to purchase another manufactures L/T. Roll gets a thumbs up from me.

bloodmoney23
11-30-2007, 12:55 PM
i dont have pics but my buddies 450R has the Lobo 2 a-arms and I was extremely impressed. It is the route I would have went if it wouldnt have been over 3k just for front suspension. So I went lonestar arms w/elka shocks and the roll's outperform the lonestars I have. but like chad said, u get what you pay for. if money isnt a factor I would def say get the Roll Designs.

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Well boys, I just bought a set of Roll arms for my race bike. Looks like I should be getting them soon. I'll give you my thoughts on them once I get them installed and can do some riding. I thought about getting another set for my practice bike, but dont' think that would be too practical when I can just swap over my JB arms...

~Jay

TRX450RACER174
11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Nice let us know how that works out.

tank69
11-30-2007, 04:05 PM

This is a great paragraph, so many people look right past this! I don't know if other shock makers do this, but lucky for me, my best friend is in the suspension business. He would not send me my suspension until I decided on which arms to get. He told me the Roll arms were incredible, but even with the discount, not the best option. I found a great deal on the +2 LT housers, bought them and then called my suspension guy. He set up my shocks for not only my weight/terrain/etc., but for the A-ARMS as well due to each arm having different ratios. For me, I have the perfect setup and have only had to make subtle adjustments to my suspension when I set it all up.

I think Doug makes a great product, I have run his stuff in the past when he was basically a nobody. There is no doubt that his stuff is top of the line, I just couldn't justify the extra money when I had experience on both systems.

spanky101
11-30-2007, 08:30 PM
thats gonna be super nice, roll with pb1's! let us know how it rides!

yfzmx10
11-30-2007, 09:36 PM

Just my 02

THanks, Jay

How did you like the Epic? I've been running them for 3 years and haven't tried anything else desides JD's. How does Epic compare to the rest?

yfzmx10
11-30-2007, 09:41 PM
be sure to post pics of the PB1's and Roll setup. That sounds like a dream machine

Crashmore 22
11-30-2007, 10:03 PM
If they haven't done A LOT of changing, you won't see your arms for at least six months! They were VERY slow, hope you have better luck.

12-01-2007, 11:17 AM
i have run Roll design for 2 years now and they are amazing. i have recently changed to ATV four play and really i didnt notice a differnce at all i really liked the roll design cause when its muddy and slick out the bike will still turn and not push through corners, here is a pic of my bike with them on...

TWISTED DINLI
12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Is the Roll Design a-arms +3?

yfzmx10
12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Roostar 450
i have run Roll design for 2 years now and they are amazing. i have recently changed to ATV four play and really i didnt notice a differnce at all i really liked the roll design cause when its muddy and slick out the bike will still turn and not push through corners, here is a pic of my bike with them on...

What did you do with your roll arms?

chad502ex
12-02-2007, 07:05 AM
wow, I love the look of Roll myself,.... how much is a complete set?

TWISTED DINLI
12-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
wow, I love the look of Roll myself,.... how much is a complete set?

i think they are $2995 and thats w/ Fox shocks or Elka

does anyone know if they are +2 or +3?

12-02-2007, 02:26 PM
These arms were bought back in 05 and they are only +2 i think cause i had to run 3-2 offset rims with them i had a set of 4-1 offset rims but they were to narrow. i think now i have seen guys running 4-1 rims and they look wide. im pretty sure you can tell them what you want when you are ordering them. they are one of the nicest looking front ends you can buy. my buddy just bought the new Walsh Flow A-34 arms and they are also really nice to i dont have a pic of them but just as nice as the roll stuff.

12-02-2007, 02:34 PM
These arms were bought back in 05 and they are only +2 i think cause i had to run 3-2 offset rims with them i had a set of 4-1 offset rims but they were to narrow. i think now i have seen guys running 4-1 rims and they look wide. im pretty sure you can tell them what you want when you are ordering them. they are one of the nicest looking front ends you can buy. my buddy just bought the new Walsh Flow A-34 arms and they are also really nice to i dont have a pic of them but just as nice as the roll stuff.

spanky101
12-02-2007, 04:43 PM
that bike looks really nice man! there are 2 suspension companies i swear by walsh and atv four play. Ive never ridden a roll setup and i would love to someday,

xsr_racing28c
12-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Sorry about the delay for my responses. I will post pics of my front ends once I get them all here. I havn't posted this info yet, but I got (2) sets because I decided to place one on my race bike and one on my practice bike. I'm also getting a different set of shocks for the practice bike but havn't decided what kind yet.

The arms I'm getting are +2 and they are already built, so no wait time. I cant wait to get them and see how they perform.

Someone asked about my expierience with Epic, and I did like the arms, but they imo arn't built like some of the other arms I've used and they joints are very "cheap" compared to what Roll and Walsh use.

Thanks, Jay

mxquadracer115
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Heres a preview of what ull have

yfzmx10
12-03-2007, 10:23 AM
that bike is sick. what's up with the front tires?

mxquadracer115
12-03-2007, 10:40 AM
thats before everything was done, i was a lttle excited to get pics of it

mxquadracer115
12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
one in action

chad502ex
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by mxquadracer115
Heres a preview of what ull have

That is F'n kewl!

xsr_racing28c
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
thanks for the pic.. im looking forward to them coming in!!! :)

spanky101
12-03-2007, 07:50 PM
the bike is sick lookin! but thats one super expensive frontend!

Kilabanshee
12-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Jay if I were you I would get the Walsh arms. Nothing but good things from everyone I know who runs Walsh. I dont know anyone locally that has owns a roll design front end. Like Chad and other members said they look well made and will probobly perform as well as anything out there. I just like Walsh because all the top pros run them and I hear nothing but good things from my friends.

chad502ex
12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Kilabanshee
Jay if I were you I would get the Walsh arms. Nothing but good things from everyone I know who runs Walsh. I dont know anyone locally that has owns a roll design front end. Like Chad and other members said they look well made and will probobly perform as well as anything out there. I just like Walsh because all the top pros run them and I hear nothing but good things from my friends.

Hey Kila,... hope you are well...

xsr_racing28c
12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I was going to run Walsh, but the build time was what got to me. I will probably down the road go ahead and order some Walsh flow arms, but for now I just wanted to try out some Roll Design and see how they work. I also have something in the mix here for making my own front suspension, so keep an eye out...

shhhhhhhh....

~Jay

spanky101
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
glad to hear you might be making your own suspension components, hopefully the quality will be up there with the best of them!

Kilabanshee
12-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
Hey Kila,... hope you are well...

Hey Chad how have you been? I've been quite busy with school and such. Doing quite well actually. I still need to send that check out to you. I have a list of crap I need to order for the second rebuild. I'll give you a call tomorrow or something.

Later

manson98
12-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I am sure interested in how you like the Rolls once you get them as I have never ridden a pair on a 450r but I hear that they are not nearly as good as the were on a 250r. I run ATV 4 Play and think they are great! But man I have rode JB's and man I think they are great.

TRX450RACER174
12-05-2007, 04:08 PM
I was at the ITP quadcross at Glen Helen this weekend and was looking at Creamer's Roll front end on his Kawasaki and the top arms on this thing were crazy, no powder coat they were bare metal with huge tubing with these crazy bends and these huge heim ends on them. Roll definatly has some sick stuff.

ICER88
12-05-2007, 05:47 PM
i love mine, thumbs up for roll design!!

qmurder24
12-05-2007, 09:24 PM
have them on 07 450r
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/qmurder24/DSC02698.jpg
and had them on 88r
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/qmurder24/DSC02637.jpg
work Great on both

Honda#4
12-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Jay, I just bought a Roll front end and I'll let ya know how it all feels once i get everything all together, I still need to buy a few things so everything all flows.

4bidden
12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
I was at the ITP quadcross at Glen Helen this weekend and was looking at Creamer's Roll front end on his Kawasaki and the top arms on this thing were crazy, no powder coat they were bare metal with huge tubing with these crazy bends and these huge heim ends on them. Roll definatly has some sick stuff.

They were probably titanium.

I raced every ITP this year but never once went and checked out the pros bikes!

patrickj75
12-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by 4bidden
They were probably titanium.

I raced every ITP this year but never once went and checked out the pros bikes!

how's the carb working for ya?

patrick

czrider263
12-17-2007, 02:56 PM
I know this is a big opionion and personal thread. Me my favorite a arm has been and still is Gibson. I think they make a great a arm for the honda's. I have them on both my quads with fox. It worked for natalie.... hehe

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/czrider263/dutchman/7thgrade038.jpg

xsr_racing28c
12-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Well I got both sets of arms for the Race bike and Practice bike, so I'll be installing them very soon. Since its like 15 degrees here right now, I'm probably going to be debuting them on the ice, but I can't wait to ride these quads on the mx track.

I'll have pics soon.. ~Jay

400exrider707
12-19-2007, 05:40 AM

I'll have pics soon.. ~Jay

Stillllll waiting on those pics.................:p

Honda#4
12-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Can't wait to see them myself.