PDA

View Full Version : Math in quads

cracer06
11-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey guys I know this is a random post but one of my college professors is making the class write about something we like to do and how math is involved with it...I decided to write about racing quads and how math is involved in setting up things like suspension,chain size, tire size, sprocket sizes, tire pressure etc..and I just thought I would ask all of yalls opinions and see if yall can think of anything else that has to do with math in quads..I know there are more things i just kind of went blank when I decided to write about it..lol..thanks alot fellas

,Craig

James_yfz17
11-30-2007, 12:10 AM
The relation between where the a-arms are bolted to the frame and how it affects wheel travel and turning. I know it has something to do with angles.

300exOH
11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Just a few topics: bore, stroke (cc/engine displacement), engine timing, compression ratios, front and rear suspension geometry, weight bias (how the quad is balanced), adjusting sag (ride height), math is used to determine shock setup for rider weight/riding style...

That's all that comes to mind at the moment...come to think of it... without math quads wouldn't even be possible:p

400exrider707
11-30-2007, 06:36 AM
I would do a search for topics in the 450R forum and search the user name chad502EX. You'll find enough math to last you a life time. You can make it vague or you can get really specific, like calculating dynamic compression ratios by filling the cylinder at TDC with oil, how about cam overlaps and all the degrees and measurements on that? Engine size (calculating CC's), moment ratios from a-arms and shocks. A progressive chart for a linkage type rear shock setup... there are millions of things!

shadowwalker
11-30-2007, 11:05 AM
how about the geometry of the frame itself? Thats a pretty big one.

Scro
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
You could mathematically prove how bigger tires and different size sprockets effect speed and acceleration.

bwamos
12-03-2007, 11:12 AM
You could even calculate the power loss difference at the rear wheel between 2-Ply tire on .125 rims vs. 6-Ply on .190 Rims.

Calculate the size of the contact patch vs. weight to find the optimum traction level for given track conditions.

What's the math class? We could give better specifics.

Don't want to give you thermodynamics if your in begining algebra.. nor begining algebra if your in claculus.. etc...

cracer06
12-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Its survey of mathmatics...so it can be about any type of math..ohh and thanks guys for all of the replys