PDA

View Full Version : Twist Throttle Install

D38 Racer
11-29-2007, 10:27 PM
I installed a YFZ throttle and left the red switch from the thumb throttle (it's hanging loose at the moment). Got everything together and the bike won't start. Can't figure out what went wrong. Checked the fuses, checked for shorts, made sure I turned the gas back on . . . I'm lost. And yes, I did turn the key on, press the red button . . . and no dice.

dirttrackace
11-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey Bud I'm glad you finally got that quad. Give me a call and I try to explain how it works. I'll look you up this weekend at the race and show you my set-up. I've had a dual gasser on it, but motion pro sent me a cr pro throttle and I just put it on.

Scott Plunkett 29k
760-427-1598

madini
11-30-2007, 04:49 AM
I also need help!I have a dual gasser I bought for my 450ER but now intend to use it on my525KTM. Is that do-able?

mcracer
11-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by D38 Racer
I installed a YFZ throttle and left the red switch from the thumb throttle (it's hanging loose at the moment). Got everything together and the bike won't start. Can't figure out what went wrong. Checked the fuses, checked for shorts, made sure I turned the gas back on . . . I'm lost. And yes, I did turn the key on, press the red button . . . and no dice.
maybe dumb ? but did you make sure the cable isn't just openinig throttle a little is so may be making a little to rich to start. i had to adjust mine but works fine now. i put in the air fuel adjustment screw and adjusted a little now it starts instantly when you push start button you can't even hear the starter turn over its starts so fast, thats after its warmed up of coarse they are pretty cold natured hope this helps. also unplug the switch just to see if it starts should start just will die under throttle in gear but should run fine in neutral

D38 Racer
11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Call me stupid . . . I don't know if it makes a difference but I used a Motion Pro "Vortex" throttle and you got it right . . . it's a little too short and I had to cut off the set nut on the carborator side to give me just enough length to make it work. Downside is, no adjustment at the carb . . . I'll live with that. Thanks for the help.

Quadevil
11-30-2007, 11:18 AM
KTM could make this easier for us if they make a twist throthle available...:(

mcracer
11-30-2007, 12:53 PM
amen to that or at least a way to bypass safety switch

STEVENJANNA
12-01-2007, 09:47 AM
What about a throttle from one of the KTM bikes?

mcracer
12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I used KTM throttle first but still need to bypass switch, worked fine I just wanted 1/4 twist not 1/2 twist

ccrider24
12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
how did you bypass switch , i'm trying to put an 05' honda thumber on it , and need to find out how to bypass the switch , jumping the wires at the throttle doesn't work, starts, but as soon as you give it gas , it stalls , it's a "normally open circuit"
???? Please post info if you can...

CCRIDER

Tastykake Kid
12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ccrider24
how did you bypass switch , i'm trying to put an 05' honda thumber on it , and need to find out how to bypass the switch , jumping the wires at the throttle doesn't work, starts, but as soon as you give it gas , it stalls , it's a "normally open circuit"
???? Please post info if you can... CCRIDER

I'd like to know as well. This thumb throttle is one of the least comfortable thumb throttles I've used. It definitely needs a Honda thumb throttle assembly on it if it will work.

ccrider24
12-13-2007, 05:40 PM
The hell with it, I just ordered the parts from honda to build an 06-08 thumber myself, ~100.00 including the wiring, should be able to sell my 05' thumber and recoup some of that money. I know this setup works, local pro runs it on his 525. Good luck all and please post info if anyone figures it out, motion pro will be working on a solution for their twist customers, but they haven't even had a bike there yet. Everything runs through/ controlled by the ignition box.
Thanks....CCRIDER