PDA

View Full Version : Serious opinions wanted: Quad

dirtbike&quad
11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
http://www.mpgmotors.com/NuATV.html

does anyone know anything about these? Judging by the pics they look to be well built and good quads, i know they are an "off-brand" but hey every company has to start off somewhere right?

if you no anythin bout these leave a comment up on here.
thanks guys
Mike

Exrider434
11-29-2007, 08:13 PM
kind of looks like a quad off of ATV Offroad Fury 3.

Ghost-Rider
11-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Z400 clone ?

I know you don't wanna hear it but chances are it really isn't quality. Parts might be hard to get. As long as you don't trash it I think it would be fine but. I would really just stick to a main brand. Something thats proven and can take a beating.

HondaEXrider22
11-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Looks pretty legit, but imagine if you wreck it. Parts and such are gonna be near impossible to get, unless you go right from manufactor but I wouldn't trust it.

450r ride red
11-30-2007, 08:47 AM
never heard of them

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 09:52 AM
They are a cheap japanese knockoff that are hard to find parts for, i would seriously suggest not buying one of these.

Fork out the extra $ and buy name brand.

beaker1214
11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
that does look alot like a Z400, prolly wouldn't be a bad deal if there were parts for it, thats what would turn me away from a off brand instantly. I would do alot of research to see how hard it is to get parts for it before making any buying decisions. I did that when I got my Rhino a few months ago bc we were originally looking at a prowler, but there was no comparison to the amount of after market parts out for the rhino and not for the prowler.

11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
i would never get one of those they had them in the one issue of atvrider magazine and they showed all the specs

meankfx
11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
What size is it and how much?

11-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Call every single dealer in the area, tell them you have a hyosung and they will not find parts for you.

Company's that pump out aftermarket like RMATV, Parts Unlimited etc etc... dont have parts, break down? Your gonna have a headache.

The Dealership I work at, wont touch a single thing like that service wise.

Scooter86
11-30-2007, 02:21 PM
The latest edition of ATV Action tested one of these. They said it likely had competitive power but scary bad handling. Hyosung has been around for a bit, and they sell streetbikes and such too. It seems like a lot of their product is decent, but not up to spec performance wise with the big name brands. If you don't have good dealer support, I would walk away.

wilkin250r
11-30-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm always afraid of off-brand machines. Sure, they look like they are solid, but it just seems like they miss the mark on SO many little details.

I don't know about Hyosung specifically, but I can tell you several things I've found with off-brands.

The scary-bad handling that Scooter mentioned above is probably caused by the caster being set improperly. I've seen that on other machines.

Tabs for the fenders constantly breaking off, so the fenders come loose.

Using regular nuts on the axle hubs instead of proper castle nuts and pins. Causes the nuts to come loose and the wheel to fall off.

Cheap racks used on off-brand utility quads, they bend if you lift on them.

Using a pin instead of a bolt, pin gets loose. Not life-threatening, but you end up loosing a tool box, or a taillight.

Poor-quality electrical switches and connecters. Headlight switch breaks or moves, the key switch comes loose.

Using plastic bushings instead of brass bushings, they wear out quickly.

Footpegs are made of a thin metal, and bend if start abusing them.

Many of these machines perform as well as name-brand stuff right off the showroom floor, for general, mild usage. But you start stressing them, and you get failures. Also, because of the high number of cheap components, they also age quickly. Within three years, you have a beat-up quad with a rattling plastics, broken lights and switches, and loose components. And to top it all off, you CAN'T maintain them properly, because they are almost impossible to find parts for.

No thanks. I'll stick with the name-brand stuff that has been tested and proven.

mpgmotors
12-01-2007, 08:02 AM
All,

I saw a lot of hits on my website (mpgmotors.com) from this thread so I would like to weigh in. I agree with some of the comments you all have made but not all of them so I thought I would post a reply.

Hyosung History - Hyosung is from South Korea. Suzuki brought Hyosung into the business building parts for them in 1978. Hyosung produces somewhere around 200K bikes a year for themselves and others and ship to 80 different countries. Hyosung is introducing a 30th Anniversary 650cc cruiser next year. When Motorcyclist magazine tested them earlier this year, this cruiser banged out the 1/4 mile faster than a Victory Hammer and within a half second of a Harley Night Rod. I'm selling one for $5500 delivered. You tend to get a lot from Hyosung for less money. They are not as cheap as mainland Chinese products but they have been around a while and their products do perform. Plus, it's a real brand with real dealers.

Hyosung Motors USA was established in 2005 so Hyosung *is* pretty new in the US. They have great people. One example, the head of warranty for Hyosung has been a tech forever and a GSXR racing crewchief. He understands what people who wrench work against and is *very* fair on warranty claims. Hyosung's business model is to be less expensive than the big 4 brands and have *better* support. We get paid well on warranty work and that is a big difference from any other brand I know of except the current major players. There are around 250 Hyosung dealers in the US.

Here is where I don't agree - I specifically don't agree with the comments that you can't get parts. I get parts as quick as my two large Honda dealers nearby. We generally get parts in 2-3 days from Atlanta and they *will* break new bikes at the warehouse to get me parts. If you want to see how I get parts for a TE450, look at the breakout under the TE450 tab here:

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/PartsNew/PartsCatalogue.asp

Hyosung is trying to have the same success as Hyundai in the US - good products that are cheaper and with better support. Support is paying the dealership to do the work and having the parts to fix them. They do both. I think Hyosung can be a major powersports player and they are doing the right things to get there in the US.

Now to the TE450 specifically, besides small ATV's (Hyosung built the 50cc's ATVs for Suzuki and sold the same under the Hyosung name), Hyosung is new to sport ATV's. The TE450 seems like a great bang for the buck sport ATV (MSRP $5999 for an '08) - it probably isn't the best in any category but it's pretty impressive. Guys that are racing them are doing well with the power, the motor is holding together but I don't have a lot of real racing data on the suspension. My lead tech is pretty impressed with what he sees (he also writes for DirtBikeTV) but I haven't cut him loose to go beat it in the Pine Barrens - we've just ridden it in the lot. There isn't a lot of aftermarket for the Hyosung motorcycles. Aftermarket parts for the bikes are growing rapidly and we have what we need now. But there isn't any aftermarket parts yet specifically for the TE450. Given the price of the quad, that will change over time as it has with the bikes.

I will be with Hyosung at the CycleWorld show (Javits Center) in Manhattan Dec 28-30th. If you are there stop by. I don't know what we will have there but I would imagine there will be a TE450. Or, feel free to come see it at our shop. We're right across the NJ border north of Philly if you can stop by. BTW, I also sell TGB Outback 425 4x4 from Taiwan but that is a different post ;^).

Feel free to call or email with questions or if you all want any different closeup pictures from what we have on the website, let me know.

Hondamaster5505
12-01-2007, 08:12 AM
do you have the horsepower and torque specs for them?? because im very intrested

mpgmotors
12-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
do you have the horsepower and torque specs for them?? because im very intrested

I'm sorry but I don't have any real numbers. Hyosung says 54 hp but I have not seen any dyno numbers yet. Their bikes turn close to what Hyosung states for them.

BTW, does anyone have a link to the ATV Action article?

Hondamaster5505
12-01-2007, 08:39 AM
wow, id be amazed if they were that much. yfz450's stock are only 38, but yet again, the dirtbikes are 52 stock, so i guess that would be possible.

If they are that much i want one!!

Hondamaster5505
12-01-2007, 08:41 AM
video of te450 racing a raptor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=696BmADi6vI

Hondamaster5505
12-01-2007, 08:42 AM
another

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=17509918

Hondamaster5505
12-01-2007, 08:44 AM
modified racing version

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=17387250

Hondamaster5505
12-01-2007, 08:47 AM
"Enter Hyosung Motors, a company established in Korea back in 1978. Hyosung Motors began to export their own motorcycles to Japan within the first decade of their existence. By 1988, the company had passed the 500,000 unit mark of production motorcycles, 1 million in 1996, and 2 million in 2001. For 2007 the relatively small (under 500 employees) firm plans to break into the ATV industry by releasing a three-model line of quads, most prominent being a performance-specific 450cc model known only as the TE450.

While specifics are slow to trickle from the company itself, press releases have already begun to circulate claiming that the machine will come equipped with a five-speed manual transmission with reverse, electric start, a four-valve, liquid cooled, dual overhead cam, four-stroke, putting out a claimed 51 horsepower, and an overall dry weight of 378 pounds. Comparatively, Suzuki and Kawasaki’s dedicated race quads both weigh in at a claimed 368 pounds.

Even more interesting is that the new TE450 will be co-released with a United Motors badged counterpart labeled the Moontrax-450R. United Motors (or UM) is based in Miami, Florida with roots that can be traced as far back as 1951. In 2005, UM signed an agreement with Hyosung in which the Korean OEM would offer models and technology to United Motors to be distributed in unique color schemes/separate logos and in doing so completed their product line with engines as large as 650cc. The result was United Motors becoming the first full-line manufacturer in the powersports industry in nearly 30 years. The relationship was mutually beneficial as United Motors was able to expand their line without investing in costly R&D or manufacturing facilities while Hyosung was able to make use of UM’s more expansive and already established US dealership networks. The Moontrax-450R, which is actually a re-badged Hyosung TE450, is set to be released stateside later this year as a 2007 model with a retail price of $5,999."

Scooter86
12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I doubt that article will be on the web, at least not on the mags website. It is in the Dec 07 issue of 4-Wheel ATV Action starting on page 40 for anyone that wants to read it. The mag should be at newstands until at least Dec 13th. Personally, I would just pay the extra 1k and get a Honda 450R. Maybe the ultimate out the door price difference would be greater, but if you need the machine to outlast a loan with reasonable maintenance, the Honda is a better bet. I would never bet the farm on much that is in the mags these days, but it sounds like you would need to upgrade the front a-arms/suspension and the rear shock to make it comparable to the other 450s. Maybe someone could peice together takeoffs from guys building race quads and get there for under the $6999.00 MSRP of the Honda. Could be a lot of headaches to save a few 100 $$ too...

Honda_Matt
12-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by mpgmotors
I'm sorry but I don't have any real numbers. Hyosung says 54 hp

LOLOLOL

You can find a kawi, yami, honda, suzuki dealer in any city, plus other places like small towns.

I live in a small town, and have 5 major dealers within 30 minutes.

How common are hyosung dealers? Not very.

Our local post office / shipping company (ShipNMail) sells these, smaller versions and ive seen them in person. Not good IMO.

Parts ARE hard to find and have no aftermarket parts available, if you cheap out to save some extra $$$ your going to regret it.

mpgmotors
12-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Honda_Matt
LOLOLOL

You can find a kawi, yami, honda, suzuki dealer in any city, plus other places like small towns.

I live in a small town, and have 5 major dealers within 30 minutes.

How common are hyosung dealers? Not very.

Our local post office / shipping company (ShipNMail) sells these, smaller versions and ive seen them in person. Not good IMO.

Parts ARE hard to find and have no aftermarket parts available, if you cheap out to save some extra $$$ your going to regret it.

Honda_Matt,

You can see the dealerships across the US here, ShipNMail isn't a Hyosung dealership so I'm not sure what you are talking about:

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/Information/StoreLocatorSearch.asp

Hyosung parts are *not* hard to find for dealers. Since you apparently don't work at a Hyosung dealership they would be hard for you to get. I have already said aftermarket parts for the TE450 don't exist but that will change just as it has for the motorcycles.

Honda sales are down across the board. That doesn't make the bikes or ATV's bad but that is a fact. I personally love Hondas. I'm riding a fully faired Goldwing to work now that it is colder. Hondas are very well engineered and are always competitive. They are, however, expensive and that is probably affecting their sales. Money is tight for a lot of folks so while it's easy for you to tell them "just spend more" that isn't an option for most folks. We are experiencing strong growth with Hyosung products. They offer a lot for less and I'm excited about the future.

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/output.cfm?ID=1304875

Honda’s new motorcycle, ATV sales in North America fall

Powersports Business
Friday October 26, 2007

Honda’s North American powersports sales were down in double digits for both its second quarter and its first half.

The company’s new motorcycle sales were down almost 13 percent and its powersports segment sales, which includes ATVs, decreased 15 percent for its second quarter, which ended Sept. 30, compared to the year-ago period.

For its first six months, Honda’s new motorcycle sales declined 14.6 percent and its overall segment sales dropped 13.4 percent compared to the first half of 2006.

For more on Honda’s first half, see the Nov. 12 edition of Powersports Business.

dirtbike&quad
12-02-2007, 03:57 PM
im probably going to wait and see how these quads work out. i think someone should give it a go....like i said, everyone needs to start somewhere, and i think that the company is having a good start

dbc112
12-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Starting up an old thread... Want more info on this bike

I am also interested in this quad.. Apparently they dealers are moving them out to make room for 09... I actually live close to MPG motors..GREAT guy to work with and very honest.

Also the UM or hyosungs come with a crazy warranty. 3 year on engine and 18 month bumper to bumper (or something like that). That to me sticks to the companies business plan for parts and good service (like hyundai who is crushing the market)

So from a parts and fixing perspective and MPG being close, it may be a go for me.

Also, 51HP is crazy.. especially for the money... And if the suspension sucks, Diamond J to the rescue for fronts... can fit just about anything. Rear maybe a raptor shock or whatever depending on linkage.

From my perspective, I ride about 1x per month maybe 2 if I am lucky.. I dont beat bikes, I try to jump but am to much of a Pu$$y to launch it... What I do like is a royal kick in the @ss when pulling out of a corner to a straight line. Acceleration is #1, and I really cant get above 50mph withing my trail system... Sooooo...

51HP, approx $4500 new, good warranty, local dealer, and great financing options. Sounds like a winner to me.

Maybe MPG could set something up for pappy or some of the seasoned riders to test out and post on the exriders review section.

hawood
12-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'm always afraid of off-brand machines.

Within three years, you have a beat-up quad with a rattling plastics, broken lights and switches, and loose components. And to top it all off, you CAN'T maintain them properly, because they are almost impossible to find parts for.

Haha, I would love to find a brand-name machine that would last me three years before it had rattling plastic, broken lights and switches, and loose components.

Ruby Soho
12-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by hawood
Haha, I would love to find a brand-name machine that would last me three years before it had rattling plastic, broken lights and switches, and loose components.

my 400 was 8 years old before i rebuilt it and it was still not like that.