PDA

View Full Version : Switching to bikes

jesseweaver
11-29-2007, 06:47 PM
i just busted another rim today, and its really hard for me, but the sport is too expensive compared to dirt bikes. has anyone else on here made the switch from quads to bikes? ive riden bikes a little, but never really hard. i plan on getting a 250f, cause i dont have enough money to start on a smaller one and keep buying new bikes. can i get a good bike for 3000? what is the best 250f? i want to get a used one, and the main thing i want is reliability.

416exfreak
11-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Im sure other people more knowledgable about bikes will reply too, but since Im here now....

As long as you take good care of it, change the oil after every ride or every other ride, and keep the air filter clean, im sure any of them will last a long time.

Just be sure you dont ride it like a 2 stroke or youll be dropping valves in it all the time.;)

kawiefan
11-29-2007, 07:00 PM
kawie has a pretty good 250. im pretty sure that you could find one for around that price.

they are easier to up keep than quads. ive got the kx 100 and its pretty good all around bike

pro-rider46
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
my friend has a crf 250, yeah scares the crap outta me, i rode it and its a really fun bike to ride, im sure you would do good on a 250, just ride it every day you can, adn you will soon be a great rider.

ZeroLogic
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Get a 125. Its more then enough power you'll need for quite a while. I made the switch from a 300ex to my Yz134. I fell inlove with bikes and won't ever buy another quad til I'm a old man.:blah: I would stay away from four strokes if money is an problem. I've spent maybe 200 bucks at best on my bike since I had it. Its been about a year too. The only thing that broke on t was my front wheel bearings wore out and my rear tires was beat. You could pick up a nice 125 from anywhere from $1,200 -$2,400.

MO-EX-RIDER
11-29-2007, 07:36 PM
i went from a quad to a bike.......and bikes have goods and bads

goods
30" wide, lightweight, inexpensive(somewhat)
bads
suck to ride when leaves fall/rain/snow/mud
more likely to break a bone or 2 also

i bought a yz125 last month rode it 3 times and sold it today...

jesseweaver
11-29-2007, 07:51 PM
ive heard the opposite. 2 strokes arent as reliable, and you gotta put a lot of money into them. 4 strokes you dont really have to do anything to them to race. im sure Bubba could win on a stock KXF.

BlaineKaiser450
11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
im sure Bubba could win on a stock KXF. i heard that the only motor work he has was porting and some carb mods :eek2:

ricksmx865
11-29-2007, 09:39 PM
i raced bikes for a few years...

if your serious i would go with a 250f, i always had good luck with the yzf's 4 strokes are super reliable... intially a lil more exspensive then a 2 stroke but i believe they are TONS better for the money down the line

super reliable and tons of fun to ride

good luck

mephyst
11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
I ride both. Love them both. They are completely different. The track is always fun on a bike... If you are trail riding, make sure you have friends with bikes too because it makes it much more fun. It isn't really fun to ride with a bunch of quads.

I ride a 450r and have a cr250 2stroke bike that is completely decked out. I love it, but my next bike will be a 4 stroke for sure. They just have way more usable power everywhere in the RPM range.

All newer bikes are pretty reliable, especially the Honda's and Yamahas. Kawi's and Suzuki's 4 strokes had a few bad years and I wouldn't trust either before 06.

If I were you I would probably get a 4 stroke. There are plenty of decent 250f's out there for 3 grand.

trick450r
11-30-2007, 06:43 AM
ktm 250sxf...i love that bike.

Honda_Matt
11-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I buy and sell alot of bikes, and you can find really good deals on craigslist.

alot of scams, but alot of deals. Just gotta know what to look for.

I dont think you will have a problem finding a good dirtbike for $3000

I Personally switched from dirtbikes to quads a few years ago, but I enjoy riding both.

Ive gotten more into trails and other type of things and get alot more enjoyment riding an atv.

woodsman250r
11-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Being that racing my quad has become to much of an expense for me to handle, I decided to buy a bike to trail ride on for something different. I got a brand new CRF 250X in august and have riden the quad about 3 times since then. The bike is a blast to ride, and is a whole new concept for me. I even put my quad all back to stock to get some money to put down on the bike. The bike is all bone stock except for hand guards, skid plate and rad guards and it is staying that way! It feels great to me and doesn't beat you up anywhere close to how a quad does. If you are only going to trail ride, a bike will be very reliable for you if you do common up keep on it. Also, you can keep it stock and still have it be very good on the trail, which also saves money on parts. Just start out on terrain you are comfortable with and move up when you get more experience. If you can find an XR 250/400 or a 250 two stroke that hasn't been raced, you will have a good reliable bike to start on.

11-30-2007, 12:00 PM
how are the 250x's on the track

woodsman250r
11-30-2007, 01:03 PM
I am not sure how they are on the track, never had mine on one. Try getting on www.thumpertalk.com and doing some research on different bikes and ask people their opinions. Most people on thier will give you an honest opinion and help you with your search.

honda8&3
11-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
i just busted another rim today, and its really hard for me, but the sport is too expensive compared to dirt bikes. has anyone else on here made the switch from quads to bikes? ive riden bikes a little, but never really hard. i plan on getting a 250f, cause i dont have enough money to start on a smaller one and keep buying new bikes. can i get a good bike for 3000? what is the best 250f? i want to get a used one, and the main thing i want is reliability.

Bikes can get pretty pricey too. The 250f's you are adjusting your valves etc... every 20 hours, and if you ride the bike hard your rebuilding it every single year! I plan on getting a 250f next year, but everything takes a lot of work. You ride 'em hard then you work on 'em harder IMO:(