PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio Help

Shift_450R
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Im looking at buying a new amp and was wondering about monoblock amps. Like what are the purpose of them and if they are better than a regular two channel amps. Here are my subs and specs and was wondering if this amp will be enough to power them to their full potential. if you guys have any suggestions please feel free to throw them out there. Thanks. Oh and ive heard alot about wiring them differently, to put it bluntly i have very little knowledge of this stuff so if possible please use really easy terms haha. Oh yeah forgot to mention i have 2 12" subs.

High Quality MDF Construction
Black Carpeted Covering
Extended Low Frequency Slotted Ports
Audiobahn Embroidery
Dual 12” IMPP Cone with EPDM
Rubber Surround
45 oz. Strontium Magnet
2” 4 Layer Voice Coil
Bumped Back Plate
Extended & Vented Pole Piece
Gold Binding Post Terminals
Power Handling: 800 Watts RMS
Sensitivity: 99dB
Frequency Response: 22Hz-1kHz
Impedance: 4 Ohm Mono

here is the amp im looking at
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-EXCELON-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

Regular_Joe
11-29-2007, 03:23 PM
A monoblock amp just focuses on one channel for subs only.

Instead of taking a 2 channels off a normal amp and bridging them for more power, this is already done. But the key difference is they put max power at 2 ohms, and a bridged amp is 4 ohms or higher.

They are usually also class d amps instead of class a/b amps that are used for your highs. This design allows the amp to run cooler and more efficient since it only focuses on the bass regions of the sound spectrum. A class d amp can only be used for subs.

Despite the complexity involved, a properly designed class-D amplifier offers the following benefits:
* Reduction in size and weight of the amplifier,
* Reduced power waste as heat dissipation and hence smaller (or no) heatsinks,
* Reduction in cost due to smaller heat sink and compact circuitry,
* Very high power conversion efficiency, usually ≥ 90%.

Shift_450R
11-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
A monoblock amp just focuses on one channel for subs only.

Instead of taking a 2 channels off a normal amp and bridging them for more power, this is already done. But the key difference is they put max power at 2 ohms, and a bridged amp is 4 ohms or higher.

They are usually also class d amps instead of class a/b amps that are used for your highs. This design allows the amp to run cooler and more efficient since it only focuses on the bass regions of the sound spectrum. A class d amp can only be used for subs.

Despite the complexity involved, a properly designed class-D amplifier offers the following benefits:
* Reduction in size and weight of the amplifier,
* Reduced power waste as heat dissipation and hence smaller (or no) heatsinks,
* Reduction in cost due to smaller heat sink and compact circuitry,
* Very high power conversion efficiency, usually ≥ 90%.

makes sense....one more question though, how could i wire 2 subs into a monoblock amp, they only have one channel. thanks

mineralgrey01gt
11-30-2007, 02:34 AM
i always run 2 wires out of the one channel on the mono amps when i want to run 2. I dont know how safe it is but its what I do.